1989 seadoo 587 full build!! Pipe, Cylinders, prop, etc..
pxctoday

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

1989 seadoo 587 full build!! Pipe, Cylinders, prop, etc..

Doing a full build on my seadoo 587 and I will be swapping parts from a skidoo 587. The skidoos had 100hp so I am shooting for 85hp as there is a slight difference in the cylinder which I will show you later, and your seadoo 587 yellow or white motor could really benefit from this..

the build will include a pipe, custom exhaust manifold to mount the pipe, dual carbs, high compression head, a prop and a pair of skidoo cylinders. (ports on the skidoo cylinders are MUCH larger and appear to be far more effecient than the seadoo counterpart)

To get the pistons to work with a seadoo I had to trim down the cases as the pistons would hit the bottom

20190518_173214.jpg

20190518_173312.jpg

Here is a comparison of the seadoo vs skidoo cylinders

SKIDOO
    20190518_173151.jpg

SEADOO
    20190518_173155.jpg

Now the interesting part, and what would really gain some good hp for your seadoo is this extra port:

20190518_173301.jpg
    20190518_173306.jpg

The thing is the stock seadoo cases dont have this spot for an extra port. Also the stock seadoo cylinders have this same port but it is shaped a little differently. I could bet by cutting the cases this would add a good 5-8hp (i think)

Here is a pic of the seadoo cases
    20190518_173312.jpg

Here is the pipe
    20190518_173226.jpg

I will update this project as I finish the build. I want to bring this down to the beach which will be in 2 weeks so the plan is to finish by then.

Prop will be a solas 15/20 super camber (J series i believe)

PWCToday Newbie

Re: 1989 seadoo 587 full build!! Pipe, Cylinders, prop, etc..

I also forgot to mention I will be adding a 159 degree rotary valve

PWCToday Newbie

Cylinders are installed. I ended up shaving the piston skirts down as I got tired of messing with the cases. the connecting rod does fit the skidoo pistons fine and the cylinders line up with the case

20190519_194245.jpg

Next step will be installing the cylinder head and getting the rest of the engine put back together.

Also, Apparently they actually make performance cdi boxes that fit the ski doo and seadoo 587 89-91 yellow motors. They are supposed to have upgraded ignition timing and higher rev limit. I did not know this engine had CDI controlled ignition and i kinda doubt that. Maybe someone can clarify and I also thought the rev limit on the yellow 587 was controlled by a separate device, not the CDI...then I guess whats the point of the CDI if it doesnt control ignition or at least the rev limiter. I cant find the ebay listing I purchased the cdi from but Ill look through my purchase history and post it later

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Matt Braley's Avatar

Cool stuff. I have some rare race stuff from that era that has Skidoo stuff in it.

PWCToday Newbie

Will be posting the finishing build later this week. had a few delays but the engine is all assembled, just need to get the custom manifold made to mount the seadoo decker pipe.

Hopefully the engine will be at least 85hp and with all the mods should go about 60mph

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Grumpy Old Guy's Avatar

50ish would be my guess.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

Yellow 587's and some 657's did have separate CDI and rev limiters, both used basically the same dual coil ignition system, flywheels are different than the later single coil ignition systems , the dual coil system is superior but the single coil setup is cheaper so SEADOO went with it on later models, the nice thing about the dual coil setup is it can be run with no MPEM, all you need is an aftermarket rev limiter , Also the later 657 CDI's will work on a 587 they just changed the wiring hookups since it was now mounted inside the grey electrical box instead of behind the stator cover. They had a lot of issues with rev limiters and CDI's going out on the yellow engines due to heat and vibration because of their mounting location behind the stator cover.

Back in the day I built many a hot rod 587 engine, they ran quite well but were not that reliable, last one I built had the single ring Skidoo moly coated pistons ,a set of Decker ported cylinders and head and PSI exhaust system, the cases were opened up for the boost ports and we ran dual 38's with Ocean Pro flame areestors, all 587's had the boost port in the cylinders but only the later models utilized it.
    Last edited by WFO Speedracer; 08-19-2019 at 09:07 AM.
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

I was 300SXing when 300SXing wasn't cool !

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

The skidoo engine makes that higher hp because of the rpm's it turns in the sled. Not going to happen in the ski. Your going to be very lucky if it runs Good as a stocker.

If you really want a fun ski drop in a 720 with the two piece stock purple seadoo pipe, single 46 carb and get compression up to 185. Been here and done this already.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Actually, that purple 717 pipe would probably make more power than that Decker.
    Several years back I threw a '97 GTs together with a bunch of spare parts....including a ported 587 with single 40i carb and stock 717 pipe. With an old school impeller it pushed that big 3 seater up into the low 40's. In fact, the customer ended uo buying another GTS then when I winterized for him, he asked me how much it would cost to make it run like the one I sold him lol!
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

Driftmaster is both right and wrong, he is right in that the porting on those cylinders will not work at the RPMS 587 is set up for which is a very conservative 5550 RPMs, they did not start twisting these engines up till they came out with the 657 series , you are going to have to spin it and spin it hard, what we used to do is put an aftermarket adjustable rev limiter in and spin the motor to turn 7000-7500 RPMS , you did this by switching to a 16 -16.5 degree straight pitch impeller, then you set the rev limiter to a point where it would not kick in on dead smooth water and the pump hooked up.

It is like anything else its' the combination of parts and tuning that makes something work, just parts or just tuning won't cut it.

A stock 720 would be much easier and more reliable setup no doubt , but yeah I get it I am about to embark on a similar project I just got my hands on a couple of really nice 92 XP's one of the XP's will get a built 587 with all the bells and whistles because I have them already and a 93 gtx will get a a 657 engine swap.
    Last edited by WFO Speedracer; 08-19-2019 at 12:44 PM.
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

I was 300SXing when 300SXing wasn't cool !

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information