Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

Re: 1996 ZXI 1100 hesitation/stalling

Quote Originally Posted by Serkit View Post
    perfectionist. The jetski stalls and shuts off when giving it throttle. You should ask for a refund for your “quarter” on “carburetion” if your going to sit anywhere and tell someone that a machine that dies when it’s suppose to be accelerating is a “rider” issue. This is a jetski not a motorcycle, you pull the throttle and the ski goes, if a hesitation was all I was experiencing that’s one thing, that’s not the case.

gunna pull accelerator pump apart again, seems as though there’s suppose to be a U ring on the shaft and a o ring on the housing which is not listed on certain diagrams of the carburetors. I will post findings.
    I imagine you don't know about Bill's training and experience...
    Riding mostly Lake Austin

1984 JS440 -- 1989 650sx -- 1991 X2 -- 1992 750sx -- 1995 900zxi (qty 2) -- 1995 X2

Quote Originally Posted by cujo View Post
    God intended PWC to be two strokes, as well as dirt bikes, snowmobiles, and chain saws....

Blog Entries

ZXI's all have the hesitation problem. Most likely your accelerator pump is the issue if it is dying.(not enough fuel) When you first pull the throttle it squirts fuel into all three carbs. Take off the flame arrestor and pump the throttle to verify it is squirting fuel into the carbs. If it is not you can try fixing the pump. But most likely will need to buy another one and hope it works better. Or upgrade to gp1200 mikuni 44's.
    triceps are the biceps of the back of your arm.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home wmazz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quinc View Post
    ZXI's all have the hesitation problem.
    My ZXI 900, and many of my 900 customers complained about a hesitation
    off idle. The 900 had the same basic carbs, but no accelerator pump. Instead
    it (the 900) had a rich low jet (#78), and increasing the low jet size didn't
    fix the problem.

I ended up repairing the hesitation, under warranty, by drilling the bottom 2
    low speed by-pass holes to .024" using a #73 drill bit, and a pin vise.

Serkit, you might repair your hesitation by making the same modification and
    increase the low jet to a #85. You may be able to eliminate the accelerator
    pump by using a #88 or #90 low jet. I would recommend setting your Low (pilot)
    screw to 3/4 turn out.

I have mentioned before that I believe the small by-pass holes were small because
    of California emission standards and fuel economy (gal/hr). Polaris used the same
    carbs, but their carbs had larger seats, low jets, and were already drilled to .024"

Serkit, I still believe your carbs have vacuum leaks, and if they do, the leaks may
    prevent this old repair from solving the problem. Especially if you slam the throttle!

Only drill the bottom 2 low speed by-pass holes. If you drill the wrong holes, you
    will create a lean bogg that you won't be able to repair.

Bill M.
    Last edited by wmazz; 05-21-2019 at 12:05 AM.
    Horsepower == Speed, RPM != Speed

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wmazz View Post
    My ZXI 900, and many of my 900 customers complained about a hesitation
    off idle. The 900 had the same basic carbs, but no accelerator pump. Instead
    it (the 900) had a rich low jet (#78), and increasing the low jet size didn't
    fix the problem.

I ended up repairing the hesitation, under warranty, by drilling the bottom 2
    low speed by-pass holes to .024" using a #73 drill bit, and a pin vise.

Serkit, you might repair your hesitation by making the same modification and
    increase the low jet to a #85. You may be able to eliminate the accelerator
    pump by using a #88 or #90 low jet. I would recommend setting your Low (pilot)
    screw to 3/4 turn out.

I have mentioned before that I believe the small by-pass holes were small because
    of California emission standards and fuel economy (gal/hr). Polaris used the same
    carbs, but their carbs had larger seats, low jets, and were already drilled to .024"

Serkit, I still believe your carbs have vacuum leaks, and if they do, the leaks may
    prevent this old repair from solving the problem. Especially if you slam the throttle!

Only drill the bottom 2 low speed by-pass holes. If you drill the wrong holes, you
    will create a lean bogg that you won't be able to repair.

Bill M.
    I should have specified zxi 1100's as I don't really know about the 750 or 900's. But thank you for the tip! I have an extra set of carbs and will try drilling those holes.

Milling the head, 3 degree advance, dry pipe mod, polishing, and skat impeller helped a ton but cant get rid of that half a second after you grab the throttle before she takes off.
    triceps are the biceps of the back of your arm.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home wmazz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think all the watercraft, 900, 1100, 1200 ultra all have the same bogg
    just like the Kawasaki motorcycles did in the 80's. On the street bikes
    we would drill the low jets or modify the pilot screws.

Bill M.

Difficult for most dealers to warranty something that was designed into
    the carbs for passing exhaust emission standards. A problem made worse
    by slamming the throttle.
    Horsepower == Speed, RPM != Speed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information