Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Hybrid View

PWCToday Newbie

Newb with questions - pre-purchase

Hi guys,
    I will start with saying that I've always enjoyed the thought of PWCs and ran across some Sea-Doo that really caught my eye so I thought I would come here for advice.
    I'm married with a 12 and a 10 year old daughter, we love playing in the water (fishing, swimming, kayaking, tubing, skiing etc.) We live in Missouri and often take camping trips to the localish lakes to play and camp. I currently have a 19' fish and ski that we use and think it would be fun to have some Jetskis also that would likely get hauled to the lake more than the boat.

I will be looking to purchase 2 which brings me to options.... given the big view of our activities I ask for advice. I'm not worried about top speed just comfortable, fun and reliable. We would be spending full days out playing, hitting a cove and swimming, towing.
    Funds are not unlimited and there is a budget to maintain but I don't mind spending a little extra if it is really worth it.

The Spark..... seems like a lot of fun for a little price
    The Trixx seems like a total blast.
    ----Can either of these handle towing a skier or wake boarder? I'm sure pulling a tube would be easy enough.
    ----Can an anchor be carried also to stop and swim?
    ----Kinda leaning away from these after extensive reading and looking at

2018 GTI Base --- 90 horse and
    2018/19 GTI 130 or GTI SE 130 ---- would these tow well? obviously much more comfortable.

I am considering the Wake 155 also because it is designed for towing but quite a bit more expensive.
    ----Is the additional cost worth it over the Sparks if they can tow?

Buying used? I'm kinda gun shy on this. I'm looking at buying a used 04 GTX with 193 hours. Any things to look for? Supercharger was rebuilt, tune up, oil change and new battery in the last year. Good for towing?

Wanting to buy 2 Sea-Doo this spring and thinking one new and one used or just maybe 2 new ones....decisions decisions. Buying used worries me.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home john zigler's Avatar

Re: Newb with questions - pre-purchase

Welcome to the site.

I would recommend the GTi 130, or 155. These are great machines, and very reliable. Stay away from anything with a Super Charger.....
    RCJS also doing business as WATCON
    608-743-1305 9am to 5pm CST m-f
    email watcon@watcon.com

Please visit our web sites

new parts / products / services www.watcon.com
    used parts www.rockcountyjetski.webs.com
    thank you

Please check out and like WATCON on Facebook

I patiently watched Craigslist for a couple of months and really was focused on a SeaDoo or Waverunner but ended up with a pristine 2015 Kaw 15 with trailer for half the costs of a new Spark.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

Buying used can save you a lot of money compared to new if done carefully. The most expensive typical problems with a used PWC are major engine issues and the jet pump. If you can test ride the thing it will bring out 95% of the big problems that you will run across. If you plan to do any sort of towing you'll need a 3 seater and preferably > 120 horsepower.

Do you have a specific need to purchase two of them up front? It might be a better idea to buy one, use it for a month or so, then have a better idea in what you would want for a second PWC. If you are certain that you'll buy two then get a double trailer.
    Riding mostly Lake Austin

1984 JS440 -- 1989 650sx -- 1991 X2 -- 1992 750sx -- 1995 900zxi (qty 2) -- 1995 X2

Quote Originally Posted by cujo View Post
    God intended PWC to be two strokes, as well as dirt bikes, snowmobiles, and chain saws....

PWCToday Newbie

I was also thinking of avoiding the Superchargers.

I'm really kind of surprised at how well PWC hold their value honestly... Looking at used ones that are 10-15 years old demanding only 5 or 6 thousand less than new.

I do need 2 (Wife and 2 daughters). I already have to listen to them argue about who gets to ride the motorcycle with me!

So I'm getting price quotes on the following
    2018 GTI Base 900cc that I saw in person at the dealership
    2018/19 GTI SE 130 or Wake 155
    and a double trailer
    Last edited by archaicguy; 05-16-2019 at 08:35 PM.

Thread Information