Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

Replaced exhaust manifold - still have water in oil

Last year, my 05 aquatrax was misfiring on cylinder #3. I replaced the spark plug and the problem went away and the ski ran great for about 20 minutes. Then, the ski lost power and would not rev above 3500 rpms (Not in limp home mode, just no power). I took the ski to a shop and was told the exhaust manifold was blown and needed to be replaced. The ski sat at the shop for 6 months waiting for the new exhaust manifold which was back ordered. I gave up and took the ski home.

This year, I was able to purchase a new exhaust manifold and replaced it myself. I changed the oil 3 times and the color of the oil is still gray and does appear to be clearing up. Anyone else replace there exhaust manifold and if so, how my times did you have to change the oil before it cleared up?

I can confirm that the exhaust manifold was in fact blown. I put a garden house in the exhaust port and water was coming out of the cooling water port.
    Screen Shot 2019-05-10 at 7.21.11 PM.png

Before I replaced the exhaust manifold, I did a compression test and all cylinders were within 10 psi of each other. I also did a leakdown test and all the cylinders were losing about 10 -15 percent through the exhaust valves. There was no leakage between cylinders, into the crank or intake ports.

Is it possible that something else is wrong or do I just need to keep changing the oil to clear it up?

Re: Replaced exhaust manifold - still have water in oil

Are you saying the engine had water in the oil since you took it to the shop last year?
    RGR Racing.com

PWCToday Newbie

The ski was taken to the shop at the end of june and sat there until october. When I got the ski home, it had water in the oil so I change the oil twice without connecting it the the hose - just let it run for about 20 seconds and then changed the oil again. I then did the normal winterization as I have done for years following the service manual.

I'm going to connect compressed air to the inlet cooling water ports and plug off the return of the engine and see if it can hold pressure. I'm also going to do the same with the intercooler and turbocharger. Think you might be on the right track with something freezing and cracking over the winter. My guess is the antifreeze did not getting fully circulated through the engine (in the proper locations) since there was a crack in the exhaust manifold.

Just wondering what the success rate of replacing the exhaust manifold is after the engine ran with contaminated oil. Not sure if it's worth the high price tag when the engine could be on it's last leg.

PWCToday Newbie

I just started pulling the exhaust apart again and I think I found the source of the water. While I replaced the exhaust manifold gasket, I did not replace any others because my plan was to test everything and if all went good, I was going to rebuild turbo with the JSI wastegate kit since I have the code 45 problem. I think the source of the water was from the exhaust pipe since water poured out of the pipe when I took it off the turbo. Gaskets ordered and will report back later this week with the results.

Screen Shot 2019-05-12 at 9.24.13 AM.png

PWCToday Newbie

I replaced the gasket and changed the oil 3 times and shocker, the oil is still milky. I pressure testing the following and found no leaks.

1) Removed the Intercooler and used a garden hose and checked for leaks inside air chamber and found none.
    2) Removed the water hoses going to the engine and capped one side off and put 20 PSI compressed air in the other side and it held pressure. Also turned the engine over a few time and it still held pressure.
    3) Removed the Turbo Charger and used a garden hose to confirm that there was no leaking of water into the air sides of the turbo.
    4) Pinched off the water hose for the oil cooler and put compressed air on the other side with 15psi and the system held pressure plus I used an inspection camera and did not see any bubbles in the oil.
    5) Ran compressed air through the (new) exhaust manifold and the system held pressure while pinching off the other water hoses.
    6) With the exhaust pipe and exhaust body out of the ski, I bolted them back together and ran water through the cooling lines and confirmed that there was no water leaking between the gasket or exhaust pipe or body.

Anyone else have water in there oil and successfully got it out? I'm not sure where else the water can be coming from.

Thread Information