Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

750 st kawasaki not getting spark.

I have a 95 750 ST that I recently acquired. Rumor had it that it was seized up. So I took it home and turned the pto over just fine, threw a camera in the spark plug holes and it looks fresh, tested at 150psi on both cylinders. I removed the starter bendix and it was sticking a little. Put it back together and it started right up! Ran pretty erratic like it was misfiring, almost like a rev limiter but it was all over the place, would stall, then restart after a few tries. I cleaned the carb and changed the fuel for good measure.

The stator looked clean, flywheel had some external surface rust which I cleaned off.

Today I go to start it and there's no spark at all.

Tested the resistance on the coils from the plug wire to the wires on the coil and have no reading.

I need information on how to test the stator, coil and pickup, and also the wire colors of each.

Does anyone know where to find a manual? All these online sites selling them are filled slam full of virus.

I'm open to any suggestions too, if I can get this running reliable I am going to keep it around.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home BLRider's Avatar

Re: 750 st kawasaki not getting spark.

Have you got another 750 to test parts from? I have had similar symptoms that you are and my searching led me to the early 750 small pin stators to be sensitive and problematic as they age. I replaced mine with a big pin stator and had no more problems.
    Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by BLRider View Post
    Have you got another 750 to test parts from? I have had similar symptoms that you are and my searching led me to the early 750 small pin stators to be sensitive and problematic as they age. I replaced mine with a big pin stator and had no more problems.
    No parts skis here. This is actually the first kawasaki to cross my path, I'm most familiar with the seadoo.

I did a little more testing tonight and when I hit the start I do get one good spark and thats it. I cleaned the molex connectors that go into the electrical box, but that didn't seem to help.

I thought I remembered taking a wire off the motor under the carbs though and I cant for the life of me find it. I could be imagining things but I swear I took something off the motor next to the stator. I will upload a pic.

Forgive me for the lack of knowledge on these, what are the big pin stators?

PWCToday Newbie

737C1113-BA9D-4F1E-9A56-9CE7D06C7DE7.jpeg

I took something off where the red circle is.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

The running erratic and misfiring then one spark as soon as you hit the button tells me the timing circuit shot craps. You need a cdi.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    The running erratic and misfiring then one spark as soon as you hit the button tells me the timing circuit shot craps. You need a cdi.
    I was looking on youtube earlier and found a video of a guy having the same problem, only getting one good spark. He pulled the stator out and cleaned it really good and that solved it. I'm going to give that another try first since there's no way to test a cdi and of all the machines I have worked on over the years I have only seen one cdi go bad and a ton of stators.

I will let you know how I make out, im thinking maybe I stirred up some metal shavings when I pulled and cleaned the flywheel and they might have stuck to the pick up or something.

PWCToday Newbie

Well no luck on the stator, so Iím trying to find a complete new electric box. I get no spark now at all.

How does the electric box get itís ground?

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by 92rslt1 View Post
    Well no luck on the stator, so Iím trying to find a complete new electric box. I get no spark now at all.

How does the electric box get itís ground?

Also so if itís worth noting, I can get it to spark if I take one of the spark plug caps off and stick it on the ground post on the electrical box.. take it off and nothing.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

Well no luck on the stator, so I’m trying to find a complete new electric box. I get no spark now at all.

How does the electric box get it’s ground?
    Also so if it’s worth noting, I can get it to spark if I take one of the spark plug caps off and stick it on the ground post on the electrical box.. take it off and nothing.
    Both of these indicate you may have a problem with the ground wire that goes from the stator to the ebox. Closely examine the cable going from the ebox to the stator and you may spot somewhere on it where it has melted. It is often a good idea to add a decent gauge ground wire from an ebox case bolt to the engine block -- it can save the stator wiring.
    Riding mostly Lake Austin

1984 JS440 -- 1989 650sx -- 1991 X2 -- 1992 750sx -- 1995 900zxi (qty 2) -- 1995 X2

Quote Originally Posted by cujo View Post
    God intended PWC to be two strokes, as well as dirt bikes, snowmobiles, and chain saws....

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by linkman View Post
    Both of these indicate you may have a problem with the ground wire that goes from the stator to the ebox. Closely examine the cable going from the ebox to the stator and you may spot somewhere on it where it has melted. It is often a good idea to add a decent gauge ground wire from an ebox case bolt to the engine block -- it can save the stator wiring.
    I swapped out that stator this evening and no change. I also added a 8 GA ground from the motor to the electric box.

I measured the resistance from the plug wire to the two wires on the coil and get nothing which seems unusual. I can also see some burn marks like the coil had been sparking to the electric box lid directly below it, inside the electric box of course.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information