Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

Electrical Problems Need Help

Bought a 1989 X2 from a buddy all stock ran out of water pretty good deal. Finally got it too the lake started on the back of the truck then back it into the lake and tried to turn it over and the battery slowly died. Tried starting it too the point of just getting a clicking noise. The brought a battery booster over assuming it was under a load starting in the cold water. But then while trying to start it the stator wires fried. So I stopped and finally got around top tearing it apart apparently there was no o-ring around the stator cover and the flywheel and stator were disgusting covered in rust and other things stuck to the flywheel. Finally got around to replacing the flywheel, stator, rectifier, and relay and tried turning it over and got the clicking noise again. tried bypassing the relay by touching the positive to the battery and just got sparks. I followed the wiring diagrams religiously just not sure where to go from here besides checking the wiring again. Its a 1989 5 wire stator. I assume somethings grounded wrong?? Still a newb at working on these but i need a little help?

Re: Electrical Problems Need Help

What did you use to jump batt post to start post? Screw driver? I'd check your ground cable to engine. If you bypass the start relay, and the power, ground, starter and bendix are good, then it should crank over.

PWCToday Newbie

I just took the positive from the starter are put it on the positive of the battery. My ground is on the starter bolt.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home john zigler's Avatar

Will your engine turn by hand?

If you had rust in the flywheel cover area, I am SURE your starter Bendix drive is also rusted, and needs to be replaced. These can and will fail, and will come apart ruining your flywheel, and stator assembly again.

Same with the starter. You could have internal corrosion from moisture in the flywheel area. You can pull the starter, and bench test it. I spin them over, while carefully listening to them. A good starter will sound quiet, and tight. If it sounds loose, and howls it is going bad. I also will "grind" it into a block of wood clamped into my vise to load test per say.
    RCJS also doing business as WATCON
    608-743-1305 9am to 5pm CST m-f
    email watcon@watcon.com

Please visit our web site

new parts / products / services www.watcon.com
    thank you

Please check out and like WATCON on Facebook

PWCToday Newbie

Sorry I forgot to mention that I did replace the bendix also and the engine does turn freely. But I have not bench tested the starter. What’s the best way to do that just hook up a ground and the positive?
    Last edited by ncostello; 04-08-2019 at 07:10 AM.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home john zigler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ncostello View Post
    Sorry I forgot to mention that I did replace the bendix also and the engine does turn freely. But I have not bench tested the starter. What’s the best way to do that just hook up a ground and the positive?
    Yes, just hook ground, and positive on starter, direct to a battery on the bench.
    RCJS also doing business as WATCON
    608-743-1305 9am to 5pm CST m-f
    email watcon@watcon.com

Please visit our web site

new parts / products / services www.watcon.com
    thank you

Please check out and like WATCON on Facebook

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by john zigler View Post
    Yes, just hook ground, and positive on starter, direct to a battery on the bench.
    finally tried the starter on the bench and the starter is fine then i tried hooking the ground to a different starter bolt and every thing seemed to work with everything hooked up so I will put everything back on and see if i can get it fired up for good. Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by ncostello; 04-21-2019 at 07:48 PM.

PWCToday Newbie

I know this has been a while but i finally got time to put everything back together and the ski turns over but the negative on the battery smokes and gets hot. Don't know why? Could the relay be backwards? When I bypass the relay it turns over but I get a lot of sparks on the battery. Any input would be appreciated thanks

PWCToday Newbie

Bump

The Negative Cable is probably corroded. Try a new Negative Cable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information