Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Cleatusjo's Avatar

Re: Wtf is it w everyone wanting 4 strokes?

Quote Originally Posted by Spim View Post
    FWIW, upgrading to a 4 stroke was what took me off the water when the engine went kaput, I pondered the 4K cost to get back on the water and said screw it and sold the hull (got a pretty good price too but lost overall my azz when I consider the original cost and minor upgrades I dumped into it). I'm not wealthy enough to just drop big money into a rebuild, but if it had been a 787 I would have been back on the water in a couple weeks.

Its been 2 years now w/o having a personal ski but I've been out on loaner skis a half a dozen times and I have a good buddy with a boat so I go out with him every few weeks when he's looking for company.

I don't miss it enough to buy another runner yet, but I still do 2-3 part outs a year just to keep my hands busy.

Honestly I hadn't realized how much money I was spending by going out almost every weekend until I had a couple months with no ski and that was a big reason behind not getting back into it, I figure I was easily spending $250+ a month on fuel/food/dock fees and most of my saturdays were completely shot, now I have extra cash to do house projects and plenty of time to do the work myself. My new hobby's are much less expensive and time consuming.
    Hell, I built my 650 for 2000.00 total. starts like a car at 160 psi, and I have 4000.00 in my STX-R, and at 150 psi. it too starts like a car. People have $2000 in their RC cars and cant ride 'em on the water. Your gonna have to eat wheather your on the water or not. I can ride both my skis until my azz is numb for $40.00 worth of 93 Sunoco. There isn't any hobbie that delivers more bang for the buck. I wouldn't own a 4 stroke ski or dirt bike. I am fortunate to live along the Chesapeake, and I have a Duramax that tows at 20 mpg, but I had a dodge 5.9 gas 1 ton 4x4 for 20 years that had a whirlpool in the gas tank, never gave it a second thought.

edit : and I'm paying 2.70 to 3.00 a gal. for diesel, your in cali.
    Last edited by Cleatusjo; 05-12-2019 at 01:07 AM.
    '94 Kawi TS
    2002 Kawi STX-R

too much to list

Quote Originally Posted by Quinc View Post
    I bet if you left the couch and x2's stock they would still be running fine with no issues.
    I don't get that either. Once their tuned even if you mod 'em they stay that way, ofcourse unless your obsessive and have to phuck with stuff.

edit : Hey, it's ok, you don't wanna be a mechanic. I pay to have my oil changed in my truck. 10 frikkin' quarts. Own it.

Oh, last point. never saw any babes in bikini's in the hot azz dirt trails in the woods.
    Last edited by Cleatusjo; 05-12-2019 at 01:24 AM.
    '94 Kawi TS
    2002 Kawi STX-R

too much to list

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Guy View Post
    In California I think they are getting around $150 per hour.

We dont punch a clock for time we always spend more time than we charge & do a TON of chit N/C & we stand behind our work 100%.
    I live in Ca I took my ski to the shop to get the maintenance light cleared. Took 5 days, they left my ski in the rain, let the battery completely die and left it uncovered outside. $165
    1 2014 seadoo GTR
    1 1996 seadoo gsx

PWCToday Newbie

Now I am new to the PWC world myself and don't know a lot about the differences or issues with brands or 2/4 strokes but I will say I've had many many boats over the years that were 2 strokers and adding oil to the gas in decent ratio always sucked. Carry a jug of oil with me everywhere I thought I might need to refill.
    My current boat is still a 2 stroke outboard but has oil injection so all I have to do is fill the oil reservoir.

I've always wanted a couple skis, easier to haul and more fun than the boat unless I want to do some serious fishing, so I finally pulled the trigger after researching makes/models/options and grabbed a couple brand new SeaDoo. I had no interest in any 2 stroke just because I just want to get on and ride with the family. I also wanted to make sure I avoided any superchargers.
    I expect them to get used almost every weekend if the flooding ever goes down around here and get many years of excellent service.

So for me 4 stroke is simple, clean and smooth. I have no problem with doing oil changes.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cleatusjo View Post
    I don't get that either. Once their tuned even if you mod 'em they stay that way, ofcourse unless your obsessive and have to phuck with stuff.

If you run them on the edge you need to phuck with stuff anytime the barometric pressure or water temps change. =/
    triceps are the biceps of the back of your arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinc View Post
    If you run them on the edge you need to phuck with stuff anytime the barometric pressure or water temps change. =/
    I'm at sea level mostly. When the water is cold I do close the valve on one of my pissers so the engine warms. I ride a lake that's 2200 ft above sea level once or twice a year, but it's a crack of the screws and it's back at 6500 rpms. Dunno , a hole in the cylinder wall vs. a cam, lifters, timing chains, push rods, rockers, valves and seats ? I like 2-stroke. You can take imaculate care of a Mercruser engine and outdrive and it will still let you down eventualy if you go out enough, big time if your a salter.

To me, sking started as a fun cheap way to get on the water, and the average person could service them with a Chilton Manual. Now you need a lab coat and a computer, Good luck with a 4 stroke stand-up. at $10,000 The 4cyl. you'd need to get the power of an 800 twin or a triple would sink the boat. Like every 1100 X-2 I see.
    '94 Kawi TS
    2002 Kawi STX-R

too much to list

I own plenty of 2 strokes but nothing matches the power and speed of the new stroke sit downs. I rode the RXT-X 300 last summer and it was the fastest ski I had been on. I got to ride the new GP1800R and it blows everything else away. By far the fastest and beset handling ski I've ever rode.
    Couple SXR's , 550's & STXR & 15F

PWCToday Guru

I own 1 of each. It isnt so much the 2-stroke 4-stroke thing for me, its the carburetors vs EFI. We ride at Lake Mead and Mohave where 2 strokes are banned, and sometimes high elevation at Big Bear Lake where the EFI is comes in handy, so that is what pushes me to the 4-strokes. But as a preference, i prefer to ride the 2-stroke, theyre just way more fun and nimble

PWCToday Newbie

I know this thread has been dead, but I wanted to contribute a bit. I recently purchased two skis and a trailer for $1000. The 1994 Yamaha VXR PRO needed some water hoses ($5 at ACE) and the plug wire boots screwed back on. The 1992 Kawasaki TS needed an impeller ($130 for a nice used Solas). So, for $1135 I have two fun skis that I take out on the St Johns river here in central FL and have an absolute blast. This river is tight and is a blast to ride on.

The TS is criticized for being boring, but it is really stable and will be converted into my fishing ski. I have ridden faster skis, but for what I do, I am getting the most fun for the least amount of money. My niece and nephew love to ride the skis as well.
    Indian River.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by SamSki View Post
    The TS is criticized for being boring, but it is really stable and will be converted into my fishing ski. I have ridden faster skis, but for what I do, I am getting the most fun for the least amount of money. My niece and nephew love to ride the skis as well.
    Indian River.jpg
    Welcome to the addiction, Yep, that's how it starts... " I'll just keep the TS for cruisin' and a loaner." Couple years later it morphs into.... Good luck with that. <---- " How much for a stinkin' Turd Ski ? "
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '94 Kawi TS
    2002 Kawi STX-R

too much to list

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread Information