Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Grumpy Old Guy's Avatar

Re: Wtf is it w everyone wanting 4 strokes?

Quote Originally Posted by mattjw76 View Post
    Many years back I had a Yamaha Waveblaster II 760 and I very distinctly recall it sucking through 13 gallons of fuel in 2 hours. This was the norm and not the exception. The ski was fun(quick) but topped out at 50 so it wasn't fast. Overall it was fun.

I got out of skis and had a boat for about 10 years. Recently I have picked up two Honda Aquatrax F12Xs. These things use a fraction of the fuel(easily less than half) of what the old 760 used to suck through and they are considerable quicker/faster. They cruise at 50 like its nothing and usually it takes me a whole day to go through 13 gallons instead of 2 hours.

I'm not sure what you guys mean by 4 strokes being expensive to work on. I bought both of these machines in a non-running condition. I did a complete rebuild on the 06 and nothing was terribly expensive or difficult.

I like 2 strokes. I like the smell of 2 stroke exhaust and the way they sound and feel but I will NEVER own another two stroke ski. The fuel efficiency alone is enough to make me never look back..
    You should see some of the bills people pay at our shop !!! Not ripping people off by any stretch of the imagination but when you have to charge $95 a hour just to stay afloat & the price of parts there is no way I could afford to own a 4 stroke if I didnt already know how to work on them.

We have a customer that has 2 Kawasaki Ultra 260s that had to buy each one a new supercharger cus one was locked up & the rubber coating on the SC rotors was peeling off....Try $2,000 each & labor to install & water test. Not expensive ??? Intercooler will be the next thing to go & they are $2,000

Fing highway robbery in my book.

PWCToday Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Guy View Post
    You should see some of the bills people pay at our shop !!! Not ripping people off by any stretch of the imagination but when you have to charge $95 a hour just to stay afloat & the price of parts there is no way I could afford to own a 4 stroke if I didnt already know how to work on them.

We have a customer that has 2 Kawasaki Ultra 260s that had to buy each one a new supercharger cus one was locked up & the rubber coating on the SC rotors was peeling off....Try $2,000 each & labor to install & water test. Not expensive ??? Intercooler will be the next thing to go & they are $2,000

Fing highway robbery in my book.

Yeah, my brother-in-law has two Ultra 250s. He blew one up(the intercooler developed a leak and was dumping sea water into the engine) and we did a rebuild on it. What he had to pay for the parts was outrageous. Honda parts are much cheaper and used parts for the Hondas are readily available at reasonable prices unlike the Kawasaki's. He ended up dropping a valve and it took out the piston, sleeve, head, valves, etc. He searched for a used cylinder head for months and finally ended up buying a new one. I'm still beside myself with what he had to pay for that..

$95/hour.. ouch.. So glad I do all of my own work..

In California I think they are getting around $150 per hour.

We dont punch a clock for time we always spend more time than we charge & do a TON of chit N/C & we stand behind our work 100%.

Resident Guru

Meh. Overall a NA 4 stroke will be cheaper if you ride alot. I like 2 strokes for hooliganism. I will always have a 2 stroke. But the 4 strokes just simply are less drama, especially when introducing folks to the sport. I love my smokers, but I'm trying to get ppl riding and out on the water.
    XI Sport
    GP800R
    X2
    FX140

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Spim's Avatar

FWIW, upgrading to a 4 stroke was what took me off the water when the engine went kaput, I pondered the 4K cost to get back on the water and said screw it and sold the hull (got a pretty good price too but lost overall my azz when I consider the original cost and minor upgrades I dumped into it). I'm not wealthy enough to just drop big money into a rebuild, but if it had been a 787 I would have been back on the water in a couple weeks.

Its been 2 years now w/o having a personal ski but I've been out on loaner skis a half a dozen times and I have a good buddy with a boat so I go out with him every few weeks when he's looking for company.

I don't miss it enough to buy another runner yet, but I still do 2-3 part outs a year just to keep my hands busy.

Honestly I hadn't realized how much money I was spending by going out almost every weekend until I had a couple months with no ski and that was a big reason behind not getting back into it, I figure I was easily spending $250+ a month on fuel/food/dock fees and most of my saturdays were completely shot, now I have extra cash to do house projects and plenty of time to do the work myself. My new hobby's are much less expensive and time consuming.
    The problem with normal is that it just keeps getting worse...

I would rather sit than quit...

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

I own a couple of Seadoos a supercharged GTX and an RXP the only reason I have them is because I paid $750 for both of them and he kept his trailer, one needed spark plugs and a rubber bumper put back on the driveshaft, the other one needed a fuse, of course the dealer said the RXP had low compression and the GTX needed an MPEM which scared the owner so bad that he sold them to me for nothing. This year I will be selling them both and cashing in, I am going back to riding my Seacouch , Waverunner 3's and my standups.

What they don't tell you on four strokes is the cost of ownership, the $1000 bills for supercharger rebuilds and the $125 oil changes every 50 hours, on two strokes you put in gas, oil and ride, on some of my older stuff you can ride all day on a tank of gas.
    Last edited by WFO Speedracer; 04-05-2019 at 08:44 AM.
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

I was 300SXing when 300SXing wasn't cool !

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home kcr357's Avatar

U should've asked the guy on page 1 how to do a cheap and easy rebuild
    Quote Originally Posted by Spim View Post
    FWIW, upgrading to a 4 stroke was what took me off the water when the engine went kaput, I pondered the 4K cost to get back on the water and said screw it and sold the hull (got a pretty good price too but lost overall my azz when I consider the original cost and minor upgrades I dumped into it). I'm not wealthy enough to just drop big money into a rebuild, but if it had been a 787 I would have been back on the water in a couple weeks.

Its been 2 years now w/o having a personal ski but I've been out on loaner skis a half a dozen times and I have a good buddy with a boat so I go out with him every few weeks when he's looking for company.

I don't miss it enough to buy another runner yet, but I still do 2-3 part outs a year just to keep my hands busy.

Honestly I hadn't realized how much money I was spending by going out almost every weekend until I had a couple months with no ski and that was a big reason behind not getting back into it, I figure I was easily spending $250+ a month on fuel/food/dock fees and most of my saturdays were completely shot, now I have extra cash to do house projects and plenty of time to do the work myself. My new hobby's are much less expensive and time consuming.
    How many gerbils could a gerbil jammer jam if a gerbil jammer could jam gerbils?

"You build cheater motor's & still get smoked !!!!"
    "Its not your fault. You just don't understand what you're talking about. "

Resident Guru

To be fair... you cant compare a supercharged 4 stroke to something like an 1100 Yamaha smoker. VX110s would be as close to apple to apples and they run forever.
    XI Sport
    GP800R
    X2
    FX140

VX110 is slow as chit & no fun what so ever.

Resident Guru

To be fair so is a waveventure.
    XI Sport
    GP800R
    X2
    FX140

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information