Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

Newbie 550/650 conversion questions.

Hey everyone,
    I posted this in the welcome newbie section also, bu thought I'd get more feedback here.

I've had a 650sx since 89', bought it brand new. Still have it and looking to fire it up after not riding for many years. After looking around on this site and getting all excited about riding again I'm thinkin' about building a 550/650 conversion (they sound like a LOT of fun). I'm going to have a few questions. Glad to see some of you are still really into stand ups.

First question: I have a line on a 94 or 95 TS would it be a good donor for the conversion ski?
    Also what parts other than the basic long block would work off this for the conversion.

Last question for now what year if any would be best for the hull. And is either front or rear exhaust preferred for the hull.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Newbie 550/650 conversion questions.

Welcome to the forum. Conversion skis are a lot of fun to build and ride. I would take a long look at what you want to do with it before starting the build. Maybe ride the 650sx for a while and see if that's still your thing, ride a lot of other skis and then decide. I always do the exhaust mod, cant stand front exhausts. Keep in mind your budget you may not want to rule out buying a built ski, or finishing someone else's project.

I built a conversion ski a few years ago and it was fun from start to finish. Not too expensive but time consuming. I had a good 440 Hull and a bad 650 hull so I swapped parts over. It’s pretty basic wrenching stuff and I learned a ton. It’ll be expensive if you have to buy everything and would be cheaper to find one already built. I sold mine for only 600 about 6yrs ago. I wish I hadn’t though.
    08 Superjet
    Limited B pipe, MSD, Girdled ADA 35cc, Toby footholds, worx scoop and stock D cut ride plate.

87 300sx. 38sbn quick steer

87 JS300

My EX's
    81 440/650
    89 550
    89 650
    96 SXI

PWCToday Newbie

Thanks, guys.
    I'm still trying to find out as much as I can about these conversions before I dive in.
    Hydro-Mike, is the exhaust mod you mentioned the one that Laserman has posted about before? I think Chad550 was the one that came up with it originally. What year were the 550's changed to rear exhaust? Was it when they went to the 550sx versions?
    I do a lot of bass fishing and I never see anyone riding stand ups out this way. I guess there aren't many riders out here that really know how much fun they are to ride. So that rules out trying some out.

Kawy750, I like the idea of finishing up someone else's project they started, but I'd have to pick it up pretty cheap. From other things I've helped friends with in the past like that, I usually have to start completely over with a project because I have a hard time dealing with hacked up half done correctly things. If you know what I mean.

Thanks for the replies and info. If you have anymore info please share, I'm all ears.
    Last edited by JONEROTN; 03-24-2019 at 06:21 PM.

Thread Information