Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

NEWBIE, going to start riding again

Hey everyone, I've had a 650sx since 89', bought it brand new. Still have it and looking to fire it up after not riding for many years. After looking around on this site and getting all excited about riding again I'm thinkin about building a 550/650 conversion (they sound like a LOT of fun). I'm going to have a few questions. Glad to see some of you are still really into stand ups.
    First question: I have a line on a 94 or 95 TS would it be a good donor for the conversion ski?
    Also what parts other than the basic long block would work off this for the conversion.

Last question for now what year if any would be best for the hull. And is either front or rear exhaust preferred for the hull.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by JONEROTN; 03-22-2019 at 12:31 PM. Reason: oops mis spelling

Resident Guru

Re: NEWBIE, going to start riding again

How far you wanna take it? You could go crazy and graft the 650 pump and tunnel in (but I would go 750 pump and tunnel tbh). Or just bolt the 650 in, get the right impeller and rock and roll. You will need the 650 electrics, pump, motor. Do the pipe mods if you are on a budget and slap a better carb on it. I have had good luck with a cdk ii from a single carb 750, but you cant go wrong with a SBN.
    XI Sport
    GP800R
    X2
    FX140

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home john zigler's Avatar

Welcome to the site, and good luck with the build.
    RCJS also doing business as WATCON
    608-743-1305 9am to 5pm CST m-f
    email watcon@watcon.com

Please visit our web site

new parts / products / services www.watcon.com
    thank you

Please check out and like WATCON on Facebook

PWCToday Newbie

Don't think I want to graft the pump and tunnel in just yet. Not sure what you mean by (tunnel tbh) excuse my ignorance. If I do the 650 engine with exhaust mod, carb upgrade and a good prop what can I expect as far as low end torque and top speed as compared to my 650, that I only put boysen reeds and K&N filter on years ago.
    I understand that the prop really has a lot to do with either high speed or low end torque and I guess I'll have to decide which way I want to go with it. Do these conversions get pretty squirrelly at high speed? Also does the 650 pump bolt in? Can these things be real low end toque, arm stretching monsters?
    Thanks for the help in advance

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home john zigler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JONEROTN View Post
    Don't think I want to graft the pump and tunnel in just yet. Not sure what you mean by (tunnel tbh) excuse my ignorance. If I do the 650 engine with exhaust mod, carb upgrade and a good prop what can I expect as far as low end torque and top speed as compared to my 650, that I only put boysen reeds and K&N filter on years ago.
    I understand that the prop really has a lot to do with either high speed or low end torque and I guess I'll have to decide which way I want to go with it. Do these conversions get pretty squirrelly at high speed? Also does the 650 pump bolt in? Can these things be real low end toque, arm stretching monsters?
    Thanks for the help in advance
    IMO if you leave the pump, and driveline stock they run OK. Faster than a 550, but no where near what I would call "arm stretching monster". You need to get a good custome made impeller.

Depending on your budget, I would recommend a pump conversion. Rhaas has a 750 pump conversion kit, and this really helps use your new available power. We have built a few, some have had ported 800 SXR engines, and they pull pretty hard. Use a 750 Pump, get a TBM large hub pump stuffer insert, Hooker impeller to match your hp, and so on.

I have our own RCJS Engine conversion plates in stock. These are based on the original, and are the best fitting/aligning plate on the market. Beware of knock off imitations. I can also supply a Hooker impeller, 650 engine mods, Rhass pump conversion, mod your 650 pipe for more power, and more.
    RCJS also doing business as WATCON
    608-743-1305 9am to 5pm CST m-f
    email watcon@watcon.com

Please visit our web site

new parts / products / services www.watcon.com
    thank you

Please check out and like WATCON on Facebook

Thread Information