Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

Water in oil, 30mph max - just replaced exhaust manifold

I have 2 F12x skis, both started only going 30mph and had water in the oil last year. I finally got replacement exhaust manifolds. One I repaired and it seems to be running fine, no water in oil, goes 60mph.

I got around the replacing the exhaust menifold on the second yesterday (new manifold straight from honda). The ski ran well, it pulled hard to 63mph and kept giving me the FI overboost error. I figured it was a problem with either the wastegate actuator or solenoid. So i decided to drive back in, just going about 40-45mph so it didn't give the overboost error. It ran fine at 40mph for about 10 minutes and then it lost power. Would only go 30mph, same symptoms it has when the exhaust manifold it spraying water into the turbo. I got back and check the oil, no water in the oil. I hooked it up the hose and ran it for about 30 minutes, now the oil is milky. I checked the turbo and it still spins freely with my finger.

I know the oil cooler and head gasket are other points that would allow water into the oil, but I don't think either of these should cause the turbo to bog down and the ski to only go 30mph.

Any ideas of where i should look next.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home JR IN JAX's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Water in oil, 30mph max - just replaced exhaust manifold

The overboost suggests a leak in the tubing going to the WG Actuator/WG Solenoid holding the WG Actuator closed. The 30 MPH suggests a waste gate held/stuck open.
    Honda Pilot NAVI
    F150 4x4
    3 '06 F12Xs
    CR250
    2 CR80s
    1 XR100
    2 PW50s
    1 Vento Phantom 150
    1 Honda SHI 150
    '98 Allison Grandsport/Merc Racing 300 XS
    Jax. Fl.

"Confidence is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation"

"The automated aircraft of the future will have a crew of two; a pilot and a dog".
    The pilot is tasked with feeding the dog. The dog is to bite the pilot if he touches the controls.

"Any ship can be a minesweeper,,, once".

Turbo might be shot. Pull the intake hose and see if the turbo has any slop, shouldn't have any. another way I could tell my turbo was bad I fired up in the driveway reved it a couple times just a little and then shut off the ski if the turbo stops spinning very quickly its shot if it spins down real slow sounding like a jet engine powering down it's probably okay.

Banjomaniac

If it turns out the turbo is bad you'll need to check the oil line that feeds the turbo, the screen might be clogged and if you just change the turbo and don't check the screen and it's clogged you'll burn up the new turbo.

Banjomaniac

PWCToday Newbie

How much was it for the new exhaust manifold from Honda? I need one, got water in oil and it looks like melt ice cream/milk

I got real lucky and found one on eBay that looked brand new for $400 but that was 2 or 3 years ago. Check at Jet Ski International, they've come down in price a little, used to be like $1400 up to $2400 but last time I looked they were less than $800. I think they might be on hold from Honda. After seeing all of the Honda's that are having problems with water in the oil I'd be scared to buy a used one online again but the one I bought look brand spanking new. It's bad to leave the water and oil mix in your engine, most of the time you can flush your ski on the hose with it running and water will not get in the oil it usually happens when you're on the water riding because there's so much pressure so I was able to change my oil about five times and I would get it good and warm running on the hose drain it change the filter change the oil until it looked clean. When I got the exhaust manifold I pulled the motor and I went ahead and pull the oil pan off and it still looked like there was a lot of gray white pudding in the bottom of that engine so I cleaned it all out really good and that was after about 5 oil changes. Also you'll have to pull the feed line off of your turbo and on the engine side of that line there is a screen, if any debris or sand or dirt got sucked into your engine along with the water that got in your oil it will clogged that screen and ruin your turbo, that's what happened to mine. Some guys don't pull the engine and can get the manifold off and back on and just flush the oil about 5 or 6 times and get lucky. It's just a risk I guess.

Banjomaniac

Quote Originally Posted by Venomxxx View Post
    How much was it for the new exhaust manifold from Honda? I need one, got water in oil and it looks like melt ice cream/milk

PWCToday Newbie

Mine seems to leak water in even on the hose. Changed oil once yesterday and it got milky almost right away on the hose.

I will pull engine this weekend and work on it. Before I order new parts, I will water pressure test the ex-manifold just to be sure.
    Last edited by Venomxxx; 03-23-2019 at 09:13 AM.

When you pull the exhaust manifold look at the exhaust ports that attach to the engine, if you see white or gray discolorization other than black that's probably where it's leaking. If it's leaking on the hose could be something else, I have a hard time believing a new exhaust manifold is going to leak on the hose with that low amount of pressure?
    Last edited by banjomaniac; 03-23-2019 at 09:57 AM.

PWCToday Newbie

I haven’t hoist the engine out yet, but I do see white/gray on the intake turbo side. Some weird reasons after I sucked all the oil out and tried to start it real quick, it started then died.
    I left it for about 5hrs later and added new oil, then tried to start but it seemed just 1 or 2 cyclinders getting ignition and shut off. It won’t run continuously. I’m doing this without the hose on, just trying to warm oil up and flush old one out.

Any chance it got water in through the intake and contaminated oil?

So when you said you put on a new exhaust manifold, did you pressure checked the old manifold and you're sure it was leaking? I mean are you sure the old manifold was bad? Might be something else going on here I don't know?
    I know when my exhaust manifold failed there were no signs of any gray or milky oil anywhere except inside the engine.

Banjomaniac

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information