Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Regular

Exhaust manifold dual cooling

I recently purchased a factory pipe and manifold but I noticed something weird about the manifold. There are two taps running all the way into the manifold. My first thought was dual cooling but thatís not it since they donít go into the water jacket. Any thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I dream skis

Re: Exhaust manifold dual cooling

The two cooling taps are definitely going into the water jacket. The three open areas around
    the exhaust ports are part of the cooling system. Typically, with a dual tap set up like your manifold has, each tap will go to a separate tap on the pump or a single cooling line will be split with a tee fitting ( one feeding each tap).
    2001 Superjet; R&D, Blowsion, UMI, Riva, Wetwolf, Ocean Pro.

1987 650sx: Mariner, UMI, Neo Designes, R&D, Jetsports, Renthal, Hydro-Turf, Skat-Trak, Reworked stock pipe, 40mm carb, Wetwolf F/S cone.

1986 JS300; lots of mods, fast for a 300...I think

1987 X2: Rips pretty good and has some 80's flare.

PWCToday Newbie

You gave him the 300 he was asking plus shipping? How is the pipe in person, looked pretty crusty in the pics and he made it seem like he couldn’t get the manifold off the head pipe. Hope you made out alright with it

PWCToday Regular

I paid 300 shipped with the manifold. Should come in the mail later this week. I will update on the condition once it comes in and I get it cleaned up. Thanks for the info on the cooling lines, I thought they were inlet lines there and not drain lines.

I dream skis

Quote Originally Posted by scavone440 View Post
    I paid 300 shipped with the manifold. Should come in the mail later this week. I will update on the condition once it comes in and I get it cleaned up. Thanks for the info on the cooling lines, I thought they were inlet lines there and not drain lines.
    They are inlet lines ( the two on the bottom of the manifold)... cooling water flows from pump-into bottom of exhaust manifold-from manifold into cylinder-through cylinder up into cylinder head- out cylinder head tap-into lower head pipe tap- out upper head pipe tap to stinger/bypass.

That’s basic cooling plumbing for a 650, there are variations to this if you have dual cooling or upgraded cooling with second or third bypasses off the head. The “drain line” is found on the stock 650SX pipe. It connects to the back of the main exhaust chamber and dumps into the pump cavity...this line is not used with an aftermarket pipe and gets plugged off. Make sure not to confuse this line with the cooling water line from the pump... the line you hook to the bottom of the manifold must be the line that connects to the side of the pump case. The “drain line” will not supply cooling water.

1987 650sx: Mariner, UMI, Neo Designes, R&D, Jetsports, Renthal, Hydro-Turf, Skat-Trak, Reworked stock pipe, 40mm carb, Wetwolf F/S cone.

PWCToday Regular

Okay what I originally thought was correct then. However my point is that the fitting on the left hand side of the manifold in the picture above looks like it protrudes through the water jacket and into the manifold where exhaust will flow. As it looks I have no idea how a motor with this setup would run, as water would just flow straight into the cylinders.

I dream skis

Quote Originally Posted by scavone440 View Post
    Okay what I originally thought was correct then. However my point is that the fitting on the left hand side of the manifold in the picture above looks like it protrudes through the water jacket and into the manifold where exhaust will flow. As it looks I have no idea how a motor with this setup would run, as water would just flow straight into the cylinders.
    Yep, someone got after that. Pull the fitting out, have the both of the holes TIGed shut, blend the weld in the exhaust passage with a Dremel tool and re-drill and tap the port for a 1/8 MPT fitting. I have no idea how it would have worked the way it is, unless he had that port plumbed to the drain line so it pushed a bit of exhaust into the pump tunnel. That sounds stupid, but if he had that port hooked to cooling water from the pump it definitely would have
    flooded that engine and killed it.

Thread Information