Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2018 Superjet low end bog?

Towards the end of the season here in Michigan I was experiencing low end bog when I full throttle it?
    If I kept the throttle still full throttle the bog would go away it was a short bog?

It is completely stock btw

The water was a bit colder it was October so Iím not sure if that played a factor in it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home john zigler's Avatar

Re: 2018 Superjet low end bog?

What fuel are you running? Ethanol? It may be a carb/fuel pump issue due to ethanol fuel. Could be just because it was cold out, could be plugs needing to be changed, etc....

If you are running pure gas, and it still does it in the spring, try new plugs, fuel filter, etc. Check to see if it does in on both the "on" position, and "res" position on the fuel select. It may already be time for a carb / fuel pump rebuild.
    RCJS also doing business as WATCON
    608-743-1305 9am to 5pm CST m-f
    email watcon@watcon.com

Please visit our web site

new parts / products / services www.watcon.com
    thank you

Please check out and like WATCON on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by john zigler View Post
    What fuel are you running? Ethanol? It may be a carb/fuel pump issue due to ethanol fuel. Could be just because it was cold out, could be plugs needing to be changed, etc....

If you are running pure gas, and it still does it in the spring, try new plugs, fuel filter, etc. Check to see if it does in on both the "on" position, and "res" position on the fuel select. It may already be time for a carb / fuel pump rebuild.
    Im not sure what type of fuel I run. I only put regular but never looked if it was non ethanol or not. I find it hard to believe that its time for a rebuilt bc its only has about 40 hours on it

Quote Originally Posted by Christier View Post
    Im not sure what type of fuel I run. I only put regular but never looked if it was non ethanol or not. I find it hard to believe that its time for a rebuilt bc its only has about 40 hours on it

If you are unsure, and have just been running regular, I am betting you have been running ethanol.

We see this almost every day here in my shop. Ethanol fuel dries out the diaphragms, gaskets, and check valves in the carb(s). I have seen some where they almost look melted. The rubber gets hard.

If it were me, I would go through the carbs, and rebuild. Failure to address this could end up in engine failure from a lean condition. The bog you are describing is an early warning sign.....
    email watcon@watcon.com

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by john zigler View Post
    If you are unsure, and have just been running regular, I am betting you have been running ethanol.

We see this almost every day here in my shop. Ethanol fuel dries out the diaphragms, gaskets, and check valves in the carb(s). I have seen some where they almost look melted. The rubber gets hard.

If it were me, I would go through the carbs, and rebuild. Failure to address this could end up in engine failure from a lean condition. The bog you are describing is an early warning sign.....
    Okay ill take a look at it when summer rolls around but about the non ethanol gas, I started researching where there are non ethanol gas stations around me and the closest one is about 30mins away from me. I am not certainly going to drive half hour for gas then turn around go back the opposite way so what would you recommend? Is there an addictive I can put in the ethanol gas to make it less harmful?
    Thanks

30 minute drive? Thats a no brainer. I have been making a 30 minute drive for all my toys for 25 years. Wow! That sounds crazy for me to say. Multiple skis, dirt bikes, mower, weed wacker etc. I don't have the time for ethanol carb issues, never had them.
    I make the drive maybe 4 times a year, don't go every time you go to the lake. Bring 2,3 or 4 gas cans.
    There are products sold for ethanol gas, don't know how good they work. I am stubborn, going to keep doing what has worked for me. Steve C.
    Last edited by Steve C; 03-07-2019 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Christier View Post
    Okay ill take a look at it when summer rolls around but about the non ethanol gas, I started researching where there are non ethanol gas stations around me and the closest one is about 30mins away from me. I am not certainly going to drive half hour for gas then turn around go back the opposite way so what would you recommend? Is there an addictive I can put in the ethanol gas to make it less harmful?
    Thanks

There is no "mechanic in a can" that will solve ethanol issues with internal carb parts. There are fuel treatments, but most are just for stabilizing, and treating for phase separation issues.
    email watcon@watcon.com

thank you

I am in NJ I think all our gas has ethanol... If we have an option to get it without...I haven't heard of it. I just put the Marine Stabil in every tank of premix and I usually don't have an issue...For all other toys I still use the marine stabil but they have gas valves so I can shut off the valves and run the carbs out of gas.
    If it aint broke...don't fix it!!!!

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home JSNate's Avatar

I run pump gas with Ethanol in all my skis. The fuel, on it's own has never caused an issue with any of them. However, I make a point of running the skis often and not allowing fuel to reside in the lines or carburetor very long. When I come across issues with fuel systems, it appears more common on skis that are started less often and run infrequently.

Start out with a fresh carb rebuilt (use OEM Mikuni parts) and then lake tune the ski. I start out at OEM suggested settings and go from there.

I strap my ski firmly to my trailer, back it in the lake and tune the low end first.. Most often I find the high speed jet to be good at or close to OEM setting. I look for a crisp hit when I stab the throttle from idle. I prefer to take the ski for a high speed run to complete the adjustment on the high speed jet.

I read my plugs regularly during the season and make adjustments as needed. Side note: I run 92 octane or higher because of increased
    compression on my skis.

Also, put a set of fresh spark plugs in as well.. Keep a set or two on hand.
    Last edited by JSNate; 03-11-2019 at 01:24 PM.

2018 Superjet low end bog?

Driving half hour is not convenient when you have 3 jet skis and go through AT LEAST 20 gallons a week. I think I am just going to feel it out, hopefully it was just so cold that it was acting wired. I find it hard to believe 40 hour old carbs would already need a rebuild.
    Thanks for the help, I will keep you guys updated in the summer

Last edited by Christier; 03-11-2019 at 11:31 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information