Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    PWCToday Newbie

Re: My X4 is Faster Than Yours!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Braley View Post
    cr2010 put a 97XP ride plate on that RX. It really gets the hull out of the water. Mine puts quite a bit of wind in your face at 1/4 throttle.
    Got one sitting on the shelf ready to go as soon as the weather allows for some more productivity. Following the mods Ben has outlined minus the big bore. Seemed like he had a great setup after it was all said and done.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Matt Braley's Avatar

Yeah this builder comes from that same school. He went by Mongoose2 on GH and he and his brother have a ski shop still in business called Purrformance in Denver, NC. I've read all those old GH go fast 951 threads many times, great stuff.

Nice guys up there at Purr. Didnt realize that was the ski you bought Matt. Good pick up!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I'm a little late to the party but I'll toss this in

Matt knows how my 920 VE runs
    It's been in three different hulls in the last 5 years
    This winter after a fresh rebuild from boiling it last summer
    when the mag pump casting plug blew off I moved it into my 96/99
    resto-mod to make a real sleeper
    Best top speed in the last hull was 66.5, not bad but that's about 2mph shy of what a 920
    should run according to Bill O
    Made a few minor changes from last year. My big hub Mag pump is on the 970 engine
    so now I'm running std hub Mag pump with an X1 impeller pushing through an 83mm
    exit nozzle .
    As I recall Mel Miller on his big bore stroker X4 used a 85/88 nozzle set, never understood way, I tested 85/88 and 83/85 on my 920, with the 83/85 I gained 3mph and still turned 7450

Friday was the first run in this hull, only expected to make a few shake down runs
    on the fresh engine, plug check, check for leaks but you can tell when things feel just right
    and when they feel way faster then last time it was out.

Never intended to make any speed runs, wind was up and chop was to.
    I actually had it back on the trailer when I changed my mind, time to go for it
    Only held it WO for 15 seconds, water was to rough to stay in the gas and I hadn't done plug chops yet
    I looked over at the GPS and about ****, 70.5 mph at 7510 rpm and I believe there is more to be had.
    As good as the big hub mag pump is for course racing it doesn't produce the best to speed.

The only changes form previous setup are the 16/23 big hub to X1, Little more compression
    with squish at 0.059 from 0.070 and changed RV timing to 72/137, Late closing moves power to the top end but you will sacrifice some low end punch.

Even more impressive, the cylinder ports have not been cut or re shaped, The lower case is
    only mildly ported and I'm running 93oct pump gas with some real lead add.
    Some guys reading this are going to say NFW based on what we have all been told over the years is needed to run 70+

I'll follow up after the next run, may be a few weeks, limited time on the water.
    I want to try my 80mm exit nozzle, with rpm at 7510 I can loose 100 rpm and still not overload the engine, may be good another 1or 2 mph

01b274106419bf0e44851c2b3dd7e2b198eb68bb79.jpg

20190524_135153.jpg

20190524_135008.jpg
    Last edited by Daveinpa; 05-26-2019 at 08:21 PM.

Wow great to hear from you Dave. That's some great stuff. That pair of X4's is hard to top. I have always loved that RPG boat.

Breaking 70 on pump gas is a massive achievement. Like I posted earlier I have to run better fuel in my 951 X4 to be able to pin it. I just finished up a 97.5 GSX with a Rossier pipe, Miller head, RXX pump, etc. I'm seeing over 7400rpm without any signs of deto (so far) on 93 octane with this one. I have 15 gallons of gas in it and really have not hammered on it too much yet.

I hate these threads. Time to spend more money. I can't get 70 but in all fairness Im setup more for carving.

20170522_233116.jpg20170614_162940.jpg
    Last edited by Alter Ego Trip; 06-14-2019 at 07:08 PM.

I thought 60 was fast, bet that’s a real arm stretcher

60 is fast. Get 60 on a buoy coarse ready X4 that can run on pump gas and you've got my respect(not talking conversions). I found 57 ways to go 57mph lol.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information