User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

550 Pump Confusion

Alright, Probably going to get hazed for not knowing everything about the differences in pumps despite my "extensive research, but here's my issue. I have a 1990 JS440 hull thats junk. My buddy bought a cheap SX hull off craigs and we've been stripping it for paint to transplant his motor and pump(pump is in super good shape and has great impeller) into this new hull. The problem I see that could throw is for a loop is the whole driveshaft bearing assemblies. I guess I'm just confused on where to go with the issue.
    Does the js driveshaft come out of the big bearing assembly thing?
    Can i use the sx driveshaft with the pump?
    will the pumps line up?
    Is there a good fix?
    Can I use the Impeller off the JS pump and put it on the SX pump?
    My friend is trying to save money so just going out and buying a new pump and impeller isn't really an option. but then again, another hull could also be catastrophic.
    Any advice would help as I need to know to stop sanding this pOs or keep going like everything's fine.

Re: 550 Pump Confusion

Have to make sure you have a js440 pump or Js 550 pump with to start. The js 550 set up has the impeller installed into the pump and the drive shaft inserts into thenpump. Js 440 has the impeller mounted on the drive shaft. Both setups get un bolted from the bulkhead and bearing carrier and shaft Come out together. In any situation all the pumps will into any hull, the difference will be the bulk head mounting surface. Js 440 and js 550 have the same bolt pattern. The sx will be much different.

What engine are you running?
    Last edited by 2strokesmoke; 02-25-2019 at 10:08 PM.

Js 440 setup would be best for a high rev 440cc or 550cc set up. Sx setup would be better for a 650/750 conversion set up. For a pure budget build, use the sx set up and find a cheap impeller ( $75 -$100). Sell the stuff your not going to use.

Thanks for the input. It’s a built piston port 550 with a sbn 44 some porting and a full pipe. The ski rips. I know it’s a 550 driveline and it’s got an impeller on the pump. Just curious if there’s anyway to put the js driveline in the sx hull

Sx stuff is all different. Not compatible with any of the older 440/550 stuff

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home BLRider's Avatar

You'll need an SX pump, drive shaft and bulkhead bearing. The SX hull is unique and would need those parts to bolt right in.
    Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home fastgtfairlane's Avatar

you can put the sx driveline in the js hull just need a bulkhead bearing adapter. rhaas sells one that works with the js bulkhead and sx driveline
    91 440; PJS Viper 7000, jetsport exhaust mani, factory full pipe, coffman waterbox,solas 17*, jetco worked 440 pump, ocean pro nozzles. shredmaster ocean rideplate and grate combo, wide tray, footholds, deep strake mod, driveshaft fill,650sx quick turn

build thread part 1: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=331343
    build thread part 2: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=364872
    build thread part 3: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=396154

Thanks for the help! I saw the adapter but I need the opposite one! Looks like we are going to get another hull but thanks for the help!

Sx pumps are worth good money in nice condition

Thread Information