User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

1200 carb'd starts good, idles fine, runs at low speed, then poops out and dies

2001 Genesis, with new carbs. New! Finally solved the fuel flow problems (p-o hooked up the fuel lines wrong.) Compression is good, electrics are okay, including a new battery last summer.

It starts, idles, and runs at low throttle just fine. Under load (on the water) more than just basic throttle and the engine poops out and dies. Restarts okay, some cranking required. Has a new separator in addition to OEM new carbs. And new fuel lines which are connected correctly. Feels like it's running out of gas--but the pumps should be okay they are new too. Might it be bogging?

Some other issues. It's used at 2500 ft above sea level--need different jetting? On a motorcycle, this would be my first place to look. It shouldn't make any difference but maybe it's bogging because it's too rich?

I can work on it in my storage unit and leave it open and disassembled. But in Tucson, there's absolutely nowhere I can slip it into water for testing. It's over a hundred miles to any lake where I can put it in the water.

The gas is from early last summer, so I know I have to siphon most of it out and put in fresh. My old Dodge Dakota loves the old gas! Any help or suggestions would be appreciated! Season is coming up fast, and if I can't get it, I'll run it up to phoenix for professional repairs.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Re: 1200 carb'd starts good, idles fine, runs at low speed, then poops out and dies

Check plug gap and condition of spark.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Grumpy Old Guy's Avatar

Re: 1200 carb'd starts good, idles fine, runs at low speed, then poops out and dies

Starting with ALL fresh gas would be a good start.

Sounds like its not getting enough fuel. If compression is good all cylinders, spark good on all, at least for now real crank seal looks good, you could get carbs dialed in on the bench with a few useful tools, and have a good chance it will run up to full throttle. First are you using stock airbox or aftermarket ?
    And I guess, do you know the recommended settings for high and low speed screws ?
    A lot of Torque to those motors
    '88 550-ride plate,intake grate,intake manfold,carb
    '96 GTX-1mm overbore,F/a's,intake grate,port timed for mid and top end
    '95 FX 1- usually take this motor to 753cc with exhaust porting and reeds

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by RenoJetTech View Post
    Sounds like its not getting enough fuel. If compression is good all cylinders, spark good on all, at least for now real crank seal looks good, you could get carbs dialed in on the bench with a few useful tools, and have a good chance it will run up to full throttle. First are you using stock airbox or aftermarket ?
    And I guess, do you know the recommended settings for high and low speed screws ?
    A lot of Torque to those motors
    Stock airbox & filter. I'll pull the carbs back off and check them out. I do have the Factory Manual, so I can look things up.. Wish I was in Reno, I'd bring it in and have you set it up. Used to jetski on Boca. One of the best lakes in the world!

Thanks man. Yeah Boca is/can be the fresh water Oasis of the Sierras !
    Besides everything else about carb specing , I think is to have good squirting accelerator pump with new lines there.
    '88 550-ride plate,intake grate,intake manfold,carb
    '96 GTX-1mm overbore,F/a's,intake grate,port timed for mid and top end
    '95 FX 1- usually take this motor to 753cc with exhaust porting and reeds

PWCToday Newbie

Got the carbs off, they match up to the oem parts number, and appear to be correct. Everything is new and pretty pristine. I guess I''ll redo the fuel lines again on the off chance that they're sucking air. Jetski season it coming up fast!

Thread Information