Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

Re: 2006 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO (second) rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    How did you enjoy all that bearing plus and minus.....blue, red,green, etc...crap!
    Luckily, I didn't have to go through that. the crank bearings were in good shape so I lubed and reused them.

PWCToday Newbie

Well...no success yet but not for lack of effort. We put the engine in tonight, had some trouble contorting arms to get all the bolts tightened and wiring connected. Filled with oil, and tried to start. The engine turns over well, but never starts. So we started troubleshooting. Fuel, Air, Spark...Air we appear to have, even though we can't see it. We're breathing Ok so assume air is good. We then checked fuel. We are seeing good fuel pressure where the fuel hose enters the FI chamber, but don't know enough to check further downsteam. We dropped some fuel directly into the intake and tried to start - nothing. Cranks but doesn't start. We removed a plug and grounded it, but aren't seeing any spark jump across the lead. Is that a valid test? How can we verify fuel is getting into the cylinder?? How can we verify spark? Compression is good at 175psi. Everything else appears to be Ok. we double-checked all connections. One thing odd is the L-Mode orange light comes on when we try to start. I never remember seeing that. Remember, this ski has been off for 2 years while the engine was being rebuilt.

Any ideas????

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Has something to do with that damn key fob alarm deal. Did you try pressing the button on the fob?
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

I could be wrong here ?, because I have not ever tested this theory, but I do not think the L-mode has anything to do with it not starting ?, what it will do is keep the rpms down when running for beginner riders, it should not have anything to do to keep it from starting ?. now..if the FOB key is not unlocked ?, this may or may not keep it from starting from the push of the start button...I would think if its locked ?, it should not even crank over at all..let alone start. seems to me if its cranking over, then the L-mode would not have anything to do with it not starting, I just don't know ?. i've only had my 2015 fx ho cruiser for a short time ( maybe 20 hours on it so far ?..lol ), but I do know it won't even crank over unless its unlocked with the FOB key !. locate the FOB remote, unlock it ( which still does not explain how its cranking over ? ) and see if you get spark when spark plug is in boot, laying on engine ?.

PWCToday Newbie

thanks for the feedback. It appears that lack of spark is the problem, so I will focus there. I bought these as twins, so I have another ski to use temporarily for parts. I'm going to swap the coil packs and see if that fixes the issue. If it does, that's an easy fix to buy new coils. If that doesn't work, at least I can rule them out and focus on the security doo-dad. I'll keep everyone posted.

Quote Originally Posted by mlebied View Post
    thanks for the feedback. It appears that lack of spark is the problem, so I will focus there. I bought these as twins, so I have another ski to use temporarily for parts. I'm going to swap the coil packs and see if that fixes the issue. If it does, that's an easy fix to buy new coils. If that doesn't work, at least I can rule them out and focus on the security doo-dad. I'll keep everyone posted.
    for whats it worth, re-check your connections to your ecu/c.d.i./ecm module, make sure its all good and clean/tight ?. also re-check the stator plug !. power starts there, then to reg/rec to convert to dc voltage if they are anything like atv's from honda. you very well may have missed a connection ?, maybe did not get all the connections tightly connected ?. start with the small stuff, work your way to the harder stuff. I highly doubt there is anything wrong with your coil packs ?, they wont work unless they get voltage too them !. which would be the electronics. also, re-check all your ground cables !.

PWCToday Newbie

Hi all, thanks for following along. well, tonight we took the engine back out. When we first dropped it in, there were a few things wrong. For example, I mistakenly routed the positive lead from battery to ECM in the wrong direction. While it still worked, not having the water resistent plug where that cable enter the ECM was bothering me. Also, while having the engine out, gave me an opportunity to route all the cable and harness smoothly. Another thing we did differently is removing the harness and ECM completely while pulling the engine. This made re-installing the engine much easier to reach mounting bolts etc. The worst part about reinstalling the engine was the damn hose that attaches to the underside of the tray. what a PITA the re-attach that and get the clamp on!

Anyway, after everything was reinstalled and double/triple check, the engine sputtered a few times on startup. This time we were at least getting some ignition. But it wouldn't start completely.

I suspect there is still an issue with ignition in 1-2 cylinders so I'll check spark tomorrow. This ski hasn't run in 2 years and was just rebuilt from the ground up, so I'm expecting some roughness to start.

Any ideas on why it would start rough like this? when we try to start it, the engine sounds like it's turning smoothly, and some of the cylinders ignite, but never fully starts. I know there is some oil in the cylinders from the rebuild, trying to keep it lubed so maybe some of that just needs to work it's way out...

more tomorrow....

PWCToday Newbie

ground cables???? are you referring to a specific cable on the wiring harness, or the negative terminal on the battery?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Bad spark plugs? Ohm them out.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

PWCToday Newbie

the spark plugs are brand new, all 4, but I will check them anyway. I suspect the injectors are gummed up, as the ski has been sitting for 2+ years and had bad gas in the tank. we siphoned the bad gas out, but possibly it was sitting in the injectors for 2+ years. Given that the ski is 13 years old and the POs probably never serviced the injectors, good bet they are gummed up. I would like to take them out and test them, saw someone else had done this and was able to see the stream/puff of fuel coming out, enough to know they had one injector stuck open. But I don't know how to do this --- can anyone advise best practice for removing injectors but still having them connected so that I can see what's spraying out??

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information