Unfortunate news about a LB to Catalina rider.
pxctoday

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Camasaki's Avatar

Unfortunate news about a LB to Catalina rider.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lat...outputType=amp

I've been wanting to make that trip on a 550 for a long time now.
    Looks like a Chase boat is a must.
    You can't drink all day, if you don't start in the morning.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Cliff's Avatar

Re: Unfortunate news about a LB to Catalina rider.

Very unfortunate about this young man. I did see this on the local news and was very sad for him as well as for his family & friends.

I do wonder what actually took place when he was separated from his ski. I mostly ride alone and I've ridden in Alamitos Bay/Queen's Gate/Queen Mary since the mid-90's without incident. It was my training area back when I was racing and recreational riding with family and friends. I even rode my first stand up ski in that bay one winter a long time ago. But this is a very tragic ending to a young man's life that might have been avoided.

Cam - I've done a Long Beach to Catalina run on my Sea Doo GSX with 2 buddies some years ago and there is the famed Long Beach to Catalina race every August that goes off without a hitch each year. Granted there is Sea Tow and Vessel Assist out there as well as chase boats and a helicopter filming. But we did that awesome ride to Avalon and refueled there(they have pre-mix at the pump at 50:1. Just bring a small bottle of oil to add more oil) and headed west into Two harbors where we stayed for the weekend and then headed back towards Long Beach at Davie's Landing on Sunday Morning. Zero problems. Had a blast and I've been wanting to do that ride again too! I brought a 40' tow rope of 3/8" diameter in case of a break down. As well as other essentials. But this ride across the channel has been done in race form as well as in recreational form for may many years and people continue to do it without incident or a chase boat.

Let me know if you want a partner to go with you on this trip. I'm currently rebuilding my '96 Sea Doo GTi 3-seater with 11 gallon tank(stock motor) and we could have another buddy ride it for safety. Big, comfy, good for storage and great on fuel. I would ride my '96 GSX 2 seater like I did the first time going over to Avalon. Took 11 gallons to refill out of 15 total gallons it holds. So the fuel range is not a problem.

Hit me up if you're interested...
    What would Chuck Norris do?

We need more offers like this - well done Cliff

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Cliff's Avatar

Thank you, Sir!

It was a FANTASTIC ride going out. Dolphins at the bow, open water, beautiful day, great health and riding. Not much more you can ask for! We drank with the locals and then stumbled back to the house in the dark to drink some more. My buddy’s brother is a mechanic for the local tour company. So he has the house there about 300’ off the beach where we moored the 3 skis. Heck of a time with 4’ swells pushing north towards Long Beach. So we had to ride it out the entire way. We just had fun and made the most of it.
    What would Chuck Norris do?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

Quote Originally Posted by Camasaki View Post
    been wanting to make that trip on a 550 for a long time now.
    Looks like a Chase boat is a must.
    A buddy at a minimum would be a good idea. It would be far too easy to lose direction in a surprise fog bank and run out of fuel and drift out to where nobody will spot you -- big ocean, little ship, and a JS550 is just about the smallest thing out there. A member here did the trip alone in his JS550 and was fine. He wrote about it here.
    Riding mostly Lake Austin

1984 JS440 -- 1989 650sx -- 1991 X2 -- 1992 750sx -- 1995 900zxi (qty 2) -- 1995 X2

Quote Originally Posted by cujo View Post
    God intended PWC to be two strokes, as well as dirt bikes, snowmobiles, and chain saws....

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Spim's Avatar

absolutely a buddy (or two) at minimum or a chase boat would be recommended, if you don't take proper precautions you are just putting your life at risk. I had a buddy that wanted me to pair up and do a run down the gulf to the keys that included abut 60miles of open water, It took me all 10 seconds to say "no thanks, that's nuts" only took that long because I was swallowing a bite of a burger, otherwise it would have taken me 2 seconds.

I've done enough stupid stuff on rivers where I put my self at risk, and I don't do that anymore either, not going to happen in the open ocean without serious planning and protection.

I plan on living forever: so far so good.
    The problem with normal is that it just keeps getting worse...

I would rather sit than quit...

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Chester's Avatar

Don't forget to bring a VHF radio too.

Chester
    Speed is very expensive. How fast do you want to spend?

Stand up:
    98 SXi-Pro

Couches:

96 XP
    86 X2

Thread Information