750sx (Remodel / Mods) advice welcome (and appreciated)
pxctoday

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Regular

750sx (Remodel / Mods) advice welcome (and appreciated)

750sx (Remodel / Mods) — advice welcome!

In the process of remodeling a Kawasaki 1994 750sx — wanted to share my thoughts and welcome any advice or feedback from the forum. I’ve had the ski since high school and after several years sitting unused... now intend to enjoy it again as “my hobby”.

Internal:

• oil block off (complete, premixing)
    • crankcase block off (pending), awaiting to do everything at once while engine is out. what else needs to be done during the engine removal? I’ve heard crankcase seals; yet not sure how easy this is.
    • pipe — looking for a deal on a pipe, but may leave stock due to cost / complexity.
    • not planning to bore heads or add dual carbs, etc as this is out of my comfort zone.
    • waterbox — may add if I get a pipe, otherwise not sure of the benefit. like the brap sound, but not for ~$200
    • may add flow control valve if pass on the waterbox.
    • battery — odyssey pc625, replacing cables with custom for clean look.
    • adding cold fusion battery box.
    • digging into a battery drain issue (other forum thread on this topic).
    • air flow / flame — updated for blowsion tornado with dust cover.
    • hoses — planning to replace all fuel lines and add otiker clamps.
    • hood seal in good shape.
    • always mist everything down with yamalube silicone protective spray.
    • fuel always treated with yamalube ring free and stabilizer.

External:

• removing all “purple” trim.
    • removed all decals.
    • adding decal wrap for looks.
    • need to patch minor scratches and chips in fiberglass. how??? what product???
    • adding new trim, mats, side-rails, hand pole cover (not adding dug in foot wells). is hydro turf the way to go???
    • impeller — looking at solas or skat. help here is appreciated.
    • added blowsion small pump cone, but not sure if it does anything (bought off ebay for cheap).
    • has r&d intake grate and ocean pro ride plate.
    • finger throttle — added blowsion finger throttle; yet cable needs adjusting (even though site said no adjustments were required). may need adapter.
    • adding odi grips with end caps.
    • may add 4 degree (or flat) handlebar.
    • already has quick steer from UMI.
    Last edited by keck; 01-29-2019 at 10:51 AM.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home john zigler's Avatar

Re: 750sx (Remodel / Mods) advice welcome (and appreciated)

The 750sx is a great ski, and can and will run and handle well if set up properly....

Below is your lists, with my ideas/opinions. These are based on my 30+ years building skis. I have done MANY 750's back in the day.....

Internal:

oil block off (complete, premixing) = Good

crankcase block off (pending), awaiting to do everything at once while engine is out. what else needs to be done during the engine removal? I’ve heard crankcase seals; yet not sure how easy this is. = Yes, case drain block off is a very good idea. So are crank seals. Any engine of this age they should be considered. You can do a leak down test to confirm, but even "if" it passes today, it may not in another 6-8 months.

pipe — looking for a deal on a pipe, but may leave stock due to cost / complexity. = Factory pipe Limited 750 pipe is an excellent upgrade, if you can find one. Coffman made some good pipes too. Well worth doing, depending on your goals.

not planning to bore heads or add dual carbs, etc as this is out of my comfort zone.= Sorry you do not "bore" a head, but you can have it "cut" for increased compression. IMO This is an excellent, easy to do mod, and again well worth while. Dual carbs are not as hard, or as scary as people think. Some OE Kehin or Mikuni from a later SXi would be a good upgrade. A single 46 is also a good upgrade and works well with the pipe.

waterbox — may add if I get a pipe, otherwise not sure of the benefit. like the brap sound, but not for ~$200 = 98-later SXi Pro box is a good upgrade. Aluminum is much better than your fiberglass one. Should be able to find used for about $100

may add flow control valve if pass on the waterbox. = These I recommend leaving OFF on a typical rec ski. These are intended for racing (Dry out your waterbox when you are on line) and require maintenance. Not worth it on a recreational ski.

battery — odyssey pc625, replacing cables with custom for clean look. =Good idea.

adding cold fusion battery box. = Not nessasary, but OK if you want.

digging into a battery drain issue (other forum thread on this topic). = follow my advice on your other posts...…

air flow / flame — updated for blowsion tornado with dust cover. = No dust out on the lake. Tau ceti tornado is a good upgrade. Go with a primer kit as well, to remove your choke, and increase air flow. You will need to "tune" after doing this.

hoses — planning to replace all fuel lines and add otiker clamps. = GOOD idea!

hood seal in good shape. = OK

always mist everything down with yamalube silicone protective spray. = Good....

fuel always treated with yamalube ring free and stabilizer. = Be careful here. Cleaning Additives in your gas can/will break down your oil you mix in....

External:

removing all “purple” trim.
    removed all decals.
    adding decal wrap for looks.
    need to patch minor scratches and chips in fiberglass. how??? what product???

adding new trim, mats, side-rails, hand pole cover (not adding dug in foot wells). is hydro turf the way to go??? = Hydro turf is good, and easy to work with.

impeller — looking at solas or skat. help here is appreciated. = Both Solas, and Skat make excellent impellers for your ski.

added blowsion small pump cone, but not sure if it does anything (bought off ebay for cheap). = Your SX already has an 80mm pump exit nozzle. I am betting you find with the freestyle cone you will have some pump cavitation. I DO like the freestlye cones (Although I support Bruce @ Wet Wolf as he is the original, and blowsion is just a copy of his) we find on the Kawis with larger exit nozzles they are not always needed, unless you have a really steep impeller.

has r&d intake grate and ocean pro ride plate. = Ok.

finger throttle — added blowsion finger throttle; yet cable needs adjusting (even though site said no adjustments were required). may need adapter.

adding odi grips with end caps. = Good

may add 4 degree (or flat) handlebar. = Good

already has quick steer from UMI. = Good

I have any needed 750 parts here, and If I don't I can get them in a few days. I have MUCH more here than shown at my site. We can also do complete machine work, cut your head, etc.

John
    RCJS also doing business as WATCON
    608-743-1305 9am to 5pm CST m-f
    email watcon@watcon.com

Please visit our web sites

new parts / products / services www.watcon.com
    used parts www.rockcountyjetski.webs.com
    thank you

Please check out and like WATCON on Facebook

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home kcr357's Avatar

I have a single mikuni primer kit collecting dust, lmk if you want it. Ill sell cheap.
    How many gerbils could a gerbil jammer jam if a gerbil jammer could jam gerbils?

"You build cheater motor's & still get smoked !!!!"
    "Its not your fault. You just don't understand what you're talking about. "

PWCToday Regular

Quote Originally Posted by john zigler View Post
    These are based on my 30+ years building skis. I have done MANY 750's back in the day.....
    John, thanks for the response and feedback. I've read many of your posts on this forum and respect your experience.

- I'll consider the crank seals (especially when I pull the engine)
    - Also, looking for available factory pipes (seems that I may need to be patient as they may not surface very often)
    - Passing on the flow control valve (per your advice)
    - LOVE your idea on the primer kit!
    - Fuel additives -- thanks for pointing out that additives can break down the premix oil
    - Looking into the impellers

I'll click on the link to your site to check it out! Will post more when I make more progress.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home john zigler's Avatar

Keck, Just an FYI I have some Solas 750 impellers in stock, and on sale here. $75 off or original retail price. (Now $175 + ship)

https://www.watcon.com/impeller-sola...ts-ss-ssxi-zxi

This is their X impeller, and really works pretty well on a stock to limited Kaw 750. (Limited is a pipe, head, etc. type mods done)
    RCJS also doing business as WATCON
    608-743-1305 9am to 5pm CST m-f
    email watcon@watcon.com

Please visit our web sites

new parts / products / services www.watcon.com
    used parts www.rockcountyjetski.webs.com
    thank you

Please check out and like WATCON on Facebook

+1 for primer kit
    If you "upgrade" your carbs, go to a mikuni setup.
    Front sponsons made a large impact on the way my ski responds. Money well spent.

Thread Information