User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

86 X2 The Arkansas Backyard Find

This 86 X2 has seen better days, but not in a very long time. The following is what I have done so far and what I plan to do next. Its a lot, but please read and comment as you wish. I love feedback and if anyone catches me making a mistake please let me know!

I found this beauty in the backyard of a guy here in Arkansas and traded a pistol for it because... well... Arkansas... It has been sitting for quite some time from the looks of the decals, mud in the pump and the 1999 registration stickers. Opening the hood I saw the Mariner head, which peaked my interest. The starter only came alive in fits and wasn't turning over well enough for a compression reading. Turned her over to find the stainless impeller and thought aw heck why not and threw it in the back of the Jeep and went home with a new baby. 32 year old baby.
    IMG_3079.JPGIMG_3081.JPGIMG_3149.JPG

Got it home and started pulling things apart. My God. Oil in the flywheel cover, blown crank seals, broken motor mounts, torn through hull fittings, carb that looks to be missing half its internals, and a set of scored stock pistons. And apparently aftermarket reeds. Whoever modified this thing had some thoughts. High compression head and dual stage reeds with the 28mm carb and stock exhaust. Maybe that was the kind of thing he was into?
    IMG_3168.JPGIMG_3244.JPGIMG_3155.JPG

I've been on a parts hunt as I've saved a bit of cash here and there. The upgrades of work done and parts bought go as follows:

Bought some things to help the ski breathe in and out a little better. SBN44 with L-S flame arrestor and a Coffmans Exhaust with the updated stock manifold with diverter.

Sent the cylinders/head and flywheel off to Newmiller Machine. New WSM pistons where fit into the freshly bored and honed cylinders and Newmiller lightened the stock flywheel. He also measured the head volume for me and was able to recommend head gasket and timing options to fit different octane fuels. In short, with a stock head gasket I will need to run race fuel... which Id rather not. So I'll be looking for a copper .020 gasket in order to stay in the 93 range.
    IMG_3447.JPGIMG_3690.JPG

The pump, after removing a fair amount of mud, looks decent enough. Pulling the pump cone was another story entirely. Mud and water had leaked in and soaked the bearings. Though after cleaning the seem to spin free without any noise, I dont know if I can trust them so they will need to be replaced. The Solas impeller is for sale. I had an X2 a few years ago with a skat 9/17 and loved it so thats what I'll be looking for again. I was able to source a decent through hull fitting and used motor mounts on here as well as a stubby pump cone.
    IMG_3186.JPGIMG_3439.JPGIMG_3440.JPGIMG_3529.JPG

The hull is in pretty rough shape. I did a tap around the top and bottom while cleaning looking for soft spots, found one on the bottom and removed the soft glass and sanded back until I was with the good hard stuff again. Epoxy resin from U.S Composites will be used throughout the ski for repairs. I can tell there are a few major spots besides this hole, including the nose and the hood that will need some surgery. I might need to order some more resin.
    IMG_3170.JPGIMG_5993.JPGIMG_3709.JPGIMG_3732.JPGIMG_3809.JPG

There appears to be a patch of kitty hair glass and resin on the front of the ski around the waterline. Not sure if I should investigate that or not...
    IMG_5991.JPG

And thanks to a member on here I got some sweet decals second hand that he couldnt use on his build... I know its an 86 but I love those 93 graphics!
    IMG_3653.JPG

Next steps:
    I still have a bunch of parts to source, namely a Skat 9/17 and an intake for that SBN44, as well as a starter.

Paint is going to be its own thing entirely. After glass work I will need to source an epoxy primer, and then figure out how I want to paint it. I've heard boat guys swear by Interlux Perfection with the roll and tip method, friends think I should just take it to shop and have them spray it with automotive paint and be done with it, and I have personally used the thinned out rustoleum roll on method which requires a ton of coats (8 in my case, but that was a black ski) and a lot of sanding and buffing. The ski I did this way turned out amazing, but boy it was a lot of work.
    IMG_3059.JPG

Frequent Poster

Re: 86 X2 The Arkansas Backyard Find

Nice work fitting it in the jeep, i 'heard' they were tested to carry a 650sx with the front seat down

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jafaboy View Post
    Nice work fitting it in the jeep, i 'heard' they were tested to carry a 650sx with the front seat down
    Ya, I remember seeing that in the factory manual, lol!
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Rod Peters's Avatar

Certainly a project, have done many just like it, little time and money and it will be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Ya, I remember seeing that in the factory manual, lol!
    It was snug... IMG_3150.JPGIMG_3152.JPGIMG_3147.jpg

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home afraz1er's Avatar

If the pump is beyond saving i have one with the nozzles I'll sell cheap. Oem impeller.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
    - (project) 99 fixed steer super jet - 144 pump, 10/17 impeller, protec trim, R&D grate, 61x/61x 701, destroyer tubbies
    - 94 WB1, 760, superjet FP limited chamber
    - 00 24/7 carbon - solas 144 mag pump, raider trim, 9/15 impeller, jet dynamics grate, 61x/61x ported 718, FP limited chamber, KP pole, KP pole bracket
    - (project) 89 x2 - 650 pump with stuffer, 9/15 impeller, OP nozzles, 62t/61x TNT ported 753, single 46sbn, blowsion adapter, superjet FP mod chamber, ATP waterbox

Quote Originally Posted by afraz1er View Post
    If the pump is beyond saving i have one with the nozzles I'll sell cheap. Oem impeller.

I was just going to do new pump bearings though I admit I’ve never done them before...

This should help add a little braapp* to that old motor! Obviously some polishing is in my future. Stock exhaust added above for size comparison. FA859F7D-9C05-4EEB-B463-4AFE6DF68220.jpeg

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home afraz1er's Avatar

If that's the bigger Coffman with the 4.5" chamber you dont want that. You should sell it to me instead.

- (project) 99 fixed steer super jet - 144 pump, 10/17 impeller, protec trim, R&D grate, 61x/61x 701, destroyer tubbies
    - 94 WB1, 760, superjet FP limited chamber
    - 00 24/7 carbon - solas 144 mag pump, raider trim, 9/15 impeller, jet dynamics grate, 61x/61x ported 718, FP limited chamber, KP pole, KP pole bracket
    - (project) 89 x2 - 650 pump with stuffer, 9/15 impeller, OP nozzles, 62t/61x TNT ported 753, single 46sbn, blowsion adapter, superjet FP mod chamber, ATP waterbox

Quote Originally Posted by afraz1er View Post
    If that's the bigger Coffman with the 4.5" chamber you dont want that. You should sell it to me instead.

Oh nooooo ��
    034E4FAF-A2ED-4144-8737-7E508E3BFAA9.jpeg

Welp it’s time to put it all together. Been busy, but need it done by July 4... that’s a hell of a target. Right now it’s just a bunch of freshly painted parts on a shelf! I have gone out of my way on most of my skis I’ve ever built to have them be reliable fuel efficient(ish) machines that can get up and go but never need anything over 93 octane. This won’t be that. Ended up getting a Mikuni SBN 44... mariner head has 27.5cc domes and I’ll be using the stock head gasket and all of that will flow through the Coffman’s exhaust. So yea. 97 octane it is. Per Newmiller if I bump the timing a bit that quickly goes to 100 octane. I’ve got a straight skat 16 coming in the mail... hopefully I can get her painted and put together in time for the 4th!!

10CB7FE4-4F51-435F-9EBA-57399D75BE73.jpeg
    B6DFCA01-8DDD-4AE2-80DB-7E2664742F3C.jpeg

Thread Information