Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Poor Man's Ocean Pro Reduction Nozzle 550sx

This is more of a mini-build thread for my 1994 550sx conversion ski. I'm currently building a 650 kaw engine to drop in this ski and reinforcing the front of the hull (where they break).

I've been happy with all portions of this build until... I got to the pump. From what I've read, if you can get a hold of Ocean Pro reduction and turn nozzles, that's the way to go. Other wise you can bore the reduction nozzle out but not much beyond 68mm. The Ocean Pro Reduction nozzle is about 71.8mm ID (Thanks BLrider for the measurements!).

Although the wide turn nozzle of the Ocean Pro with the center diverter would have been nice, I decided I didn't need it due to the cost and difficulty finding the OP setup... Mainly the cost.

Now to get to what I have done. Since I am really only after the large Ocean Pro diameter and knowing that the OD of the stock 550sx nozzle is smaller then the OP's ID, I decided to make a ring that would fit around the OD of the stock nozzle. To get this ring to sit where I would need it, I notched the ring for the turn nozzle pivot bosses and removed the bilge siphon (running an electric bilge).

Now what I plan to do next is have this ring welded to the stock nozzle and bore out the original nozzle to the ID of the newly added ring. This way the original nozzle OD will be used as an alignment guide for the new ring. One mistake I can already see is that I made the ID of the ring a little too big. The ring ID is actually 72.8mm which is 1mm larger then the Ocean Pro. I was trying to get the exact same as the OP, but close is hopefully good enough.

I'm not sure if other people have tried this, if this will work, or if it's even worth while for all this effort and time but I thought I would post this to see what people think and also to suggest some other options to the expensive and rare Ocean Pro setup.

Comments welcome.

Nozzle 2.JPG
    550sx nozzle with siphon removed.

nozzle.JPG
    Another nozzle photo of the siphon removed.

siphon removed.JPG
    Inside nozzle photo of siphon removed. I don't care about the bump remaining since it will be bored out.

Ring.JPG
    The ring. 3-1/4" OD, 72.8mm ID, 1-1/2" long. This was a solid 2" piece of 6061 aluminum when I started.

Ring on nozzle.JPG
    The ring on the nozzle. needs to be welded and then bored... Hope this works... might need a new nozzle if it doesn't.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home BLRider's Avatar

Re: Poor Man's Ocean Pro Reduction Nozzle 550sx

Subscribed for options. Great idea.
    Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Sub'd. Great work so far. I can't imagine this not working.

1988 Addictor 333 powered by Seadoo 787cc Rotax (110hp)

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home JSNate's Avatar

Subscribed..

i was literally thinking of this last week!! welding on a new piece of tubing the size of the OP bore, but i never thought of using the old one to align it, nice! great minds think alike! get yourself a tig and go to town!
    Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.John 5:24
    Jet skiing for Jesus

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home fastgtfairlane's Avatar

the op nozzles have extender veins that extend to the exit portion of the nozzle..my 440 pump has them in not sure on the 550 pumps.. its supposed to straighten the jet flow as well im not sure how much it will affect anything but either way very cool work
    Last edited by fastgtfairlane; 06-11-2012 at 12:54 AM.
    91 440; PJS Viper 7000, jetsport exhaust mani, factory full pipe, coffman waterbox,solas 17*, jetco worked 440 pump, ocean pro nozzles. shredmaster ocean rideplate and grate combo, wide tray, footholds, deep strake mod, driveshaft fill,650sx quick turn

build thread part 1: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=331343
    build thread part 2: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=364872
    build thread part 3: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=396154

Thanks for the input everyone. I guess we'll see how this works out without any of the flow correction veins or center turn nozzle diverter. Unfortunately I've run into a bit of a financial road block and getting this tig welded is not an option as of now. I know a guy that will mig it for free if he thinks it will work. I should know with in the next week if this will be mig'ed soon or have to wait for funds to replenish. Either way it looks like I won't be able to test ride the ski until at least July.

any updates

sorry for the slow reply, I've had some issues with my x2 engine i've been dealing with.

I have had the ring welded to the nozzle and bored the nozzle out already. it's a touch over the Ocean Pro ID which I hope is ok. It still needs a little attention with my die grinder before it's ready since the mig welding was rather messy... but free which was the important part.

I doubt I will be able to test this ski out this year since the 650 engine that I was going to build for it has been delayed due to the X2 issues. I will try to get the nozzle finished up soon (purely cosmetic) and get some numbers of the ID and pictures of it finished.

It's done!! i finished up today with the reduction nozzle and assembled the entire thing. It looks like it should work fine with no interferences in the normal turning function of the turn nozzle. Here's some photos:

DSC01818.JPG
    Here is the ring welded on and the original ID bored out. I told you it was messy... but it will work

DSC01822.JPG
    Close up of the ring welded on

DSC01823.JPG
    Inside the reduction nozzle with it cleaned up. Any small pits in the aluminum I filled with a silicone to make it smooth. Probably didn't have to do this but I figured why not.

DSC01827.JPG
    Final New ID of the reduction nozzle of 73.57mm, OP nozzle is 71.8mm.

DSC01830.JPG
    With the turn nozzle installed you can see that the new larger OD of the reduction nozzle does not interfere with the stock turning capabilities of the turn nozzle.

DSC01841.JPG
    DSC01836.JPG
    And a couple more photos of the outside showing that the new ID does not interfere with the turn nozzle.

DSC01842.JPG
    The entire assembly with my 19 scat track installed.

DSC01846.JPG
    And a final photo from the rear.

I think this has been a success so far. I hope it works well after all this effort. I won't find out until after winter and even then I will only be able to compare it to a 440sx pump with a 550 reed engine (the only other one of these I have ridden).

The pump will be out for a while longer before being installed. If anyone has questions or would like other measurements or photos prior to the installation just let me know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information