Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

How many hrs are too many?

Looking at a 2004 f-12. It is in excellent cosmetic shape. No oil residue in the engine compartment. It has 508 hrs on it. It has been maintained by a boat shop since new. Just wondering how many hrs these go before any problems.

PWCToday Newbie

Re: How many hrs are too many?

For me?.. Thats to many

I like to buy skis in the 30-50hr range
    and I usually sell/trade around 200-250

If you look/shop around there are ALOT of skis in garages is with really really low hours
    Skis are like RV campers..people buy them use them 1 season and then they sit in garages and sit and sit

My last purchase was a set of 6 year old skis the owner had close to $30,000 invested in and they had 30hrs each on them ..
    Last edited by trckdrvr; 01-06-2019 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ladrhog View Post
    Looking at a 2004 f-12. It is in excellent cosmetic shape. No oil residue in the engine compartment. It has 508 hrs on it. It has been maintained by a boat shop since new. Just wondering how many hrs these go before any problems.
    If well cared for, 1000 hours is reasonable for lifespan.

The highest wear item is likely the pump. The bearing will have more play and the wear ring probably has a lot of cavitation wear. It should be serviced and may need replacement for 100percent performance, but would likely last all the way to 1000 hours.

I’ve never seen an aquatrax that needed any internal engine maintenance like readjusting the valves due to high hours.

That said the wastegate solenoids, Ecus, Knock sensors and main relays are the usual parts that go bad.

Corrosion wise the exhaust manifold is a weak link for salt water boats, but fresh water they can last forever.

Internal problems are almost always caused by water getting in the oil from rainwater leaking in or from sinking.

Turbos should last 1000 hours but usually fall victim to water in oil causing the oil screen to clog from rust and then subsequent bearing failure.
    Last edited by SuperMAC; 01-12-2019 at 08:27 AM.
    MACSBOOST!!! The Honda PWC Performance Experts. www.MacsBOOST.com
    Home of the MACSBOOST Module and the Fastest Honda PWC on the planet.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqufmQ_8bxU
    Be our friend on facebook! http://www.facebook.com/pages/MACSBO...e/233077830901

PWCToday Guru

I had 37 f12s in my rentals. several had 1800-1900 hrs on them. I sold 12 of them because my customers thought they deserved something newer. they were all running great when I sold them. I have not had 1 person call me and complain about them breaking. I still have my !st Honda I ever put in my rentals and it has 2200 hrs and still runs good. never burns oil etc. I change my oils every 50 hrs and only use Honda brand oil and filters. I still have 25 of them in my rentals going strong.

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by terkkata View Post
    I had 37 f12s in my rentals. several had 1800-1900 hrs on them. I sold 12 of them because my customers thought they deserved something newer. they were all running great when I sold them. I have not had 1 person call me and complain about them breaking. I still have my !st Honda I ever put in my rentals and it has 2200 hrs and still runs good. never burns oil etc. I change my oils every 50 hrs and only use Honda brand oil and filters. I still have 25 of them in my rentals going strong.
    So are most these the non turbo models?

PWCToday Guru

10 of them are turbos

This is a great testimonial of honda quality and mirrors exactly my experience with them. thumbs up!
    Be our friend on facebook! http://www.facebook.com/pages/MACSBO...e/233077830901

PWCToday Regular

A great question. I took a chance with Honda six years ago, and feel it was a great decision. I now have about 285 hours of my F-12X and it runs well and have had no issues (other than replace the gas tank under warranty). I have the MacsBoost stage 2 mods, so the ski performs well and only needs gas, oil and filters. I also replace the plugs every season if I am not able to reach 6300 RPM (just my normal I look for to gauge performance).
    I also agree there are plenty of low hour fresh water skis out there - but they also hold their value too. Looks like a low hour example in great shape still brings 5 to 6K. Al lot of money, but compare that to a Spark... easy choice.
    Chris
    Last edited by twoburgers; 02-23-2019 at 11:12 AM. Reason: correction
    2017 Yamaha GP 1800 (Riva stage one re-flash and intake, Candoo Pro GPS)
    2007 Honda F-12X GPScape w/ MACSBoost Plug-in Module and Intercooler
    2013 Cobalt 232 w/ 350 Mag and Bravo 3

Thanks for the testimonial. I'd rather be on a 200hr honda to bimini than a new sea doo. Be sure to check out our new MACSBOOST Module and more new products coming soon.
    Last edited by SuperMAC; 02-23-2019 at 09:41 PM.

Thread Information