Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ok kawi guys question on 900 stx cv carb swap

I have a 2000 stx 900 that had cv carbs. I swapped to the older carbs but I did not swap the manifold. The ski will idle and revs fine on the trailer but when In the Water just dies when I give it throttle. I bought the carbs from a very respectable member on here and the carbs look perfect and the accelerator pumps work fine anybody have a idea where to start to get this thing to run good in the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dream skis

Re: Ok kawi guys question on 900 stx cv carb swap

Start with the basics. It takes almost no fuel to idle / rev on the trailer. So the carbs might be way out of whack. Strap the ski on the trailer, in the water, for some of these tests.
    You don't know the history of these carbs. How are the mixture screws set? How did the ski run on the CV carbs? Maybe there is an underlying problem that has nothing to do with carbs. Try a little choke to see if if is starving for gas. Short out one plug at a time to see if all cylinders are contributing.
    OLDGUY sez..... "The older I get, the better I was !

Contact the seller , ask for his opinion on problem , did you ever ride the ski or was it a good deal ski with a problem pre exsisting ? If so you've got more than just carb issues , you'll understand kawi triples when your done with this one .

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
    Start with the basics. It takes almost no fuel to idle / rev on the trailer. So the carbs might be way out of whack. Strap the ski on the trailer, in the water, for some of these tests.
    You don't know the history of these carbs. How are the mixture screws set? How did the ski run on the CV carbs? Maybe there is an underlying problem that has nothing to do with carbs. Try a little choke to see if if is starving for gas. Short out one plug at a time to see if all cylinders are contributing.
    Done all this compression is good reeds are good I set the mixture screws to factory. I know skis I am just partial to seadoo Iíve never messed with kawis all cylinders are firing

Quote Originally Posted by Bionic racing View Post
    Contact the seller , ask for his opinion on problem , did you ever ride the ski or was it a good deal ski with a problem pre exsisting ? If so you've got more than just carb issues , you'll understand kawi triples when your done with this one .
    Got it as a non running ski the cv carbs were junk so never ridden it or heard it run until I put the other carbs on I donít have a problem understanding triple skis Iím asking if I should have change the manifold also jetting or is it a simple bolt on swap

All jet skis are plagued with problems , triple kawis have specific problems that re occur on all of them , usually starts by getting sunk , then the broken e box caps allow water in e box , no one checks that,then they get carbs , doesn't fix problem cause it had a bad base gasket air leak , etc etc etc , if you were here I would check it out for you tell ya what it needs , fix a lot of them , last one was air leak , bad carb fuel pumps, both of them , then contaminated e box with a bunch of connectors that were rotten , etc etc etc

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

Start with the basics run the ski in the water, if it doesn't rev pull out the choke, does it rev with the choke pulled , if so its way too lean and you need to find out why, put all the adjustments at 2 turns out, it should be way rich at two turns out , if its not you either have an air leak , it's jetted wrong or it's not getting the proper amount of fuel to the carbs.
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

I was 300SXing when 300SXing wasn't cool !

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home john zigler's Avatar

To simply answer your question, YES the ski should run with a simple carb swap, assuming the carbs are good. Jetting/manifold are the same. (Unless you got 1100 carbs).

Don't assume just because the seller tells you the carbs are good that they are. Take them apart and go through them. Check jetting in them to make sure they are 900 carbs. You may also want to do a leak down test on the engine.
    Last edited by john zigler; 01-01-2019 at 09:56 AM.
    RCJS also doing business as WATCON
    608-743-1305 9am to 5pm CST m-f
    email watcon@watcon.com

Please visit our web sites

new parts / products / services www.watcon.com
    used parts www.rockcountyjetski.webs.com
    thank you

Please check out and like WATCON on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by john zigler View Post
    To simply answer your question, YES the ski should run with a simple carb swap, assuming the carbs are good. Jetting/manifold are the same. (Unless you got 1100 carbs).

Don't assume just because the seller tells you the carbs are good that they are. Take them apart and go through them. Check jetting in them to make sure they are 900 carbs. You may also want to do a leak down test on the engine.
    I did open the carbs up a little took the diaphragms off and looked but guess I will check jetting. If it had a air leak wouldnít the engine run away on the trailer. Iím tempted to just order a gasket kit and reseal the engine

Quote Originally Posted by WFO Speedracer View Post
    Start with the basics run the ski in the water, if it doesn't rev pull out the choke, does it rev with the choke pulled , if so its way too lean and you need to find out why, put all the adjustments at 2 turns out, it should be way rich at two turns out , if its not you either have an air leak , it's jetted wrong or it's not getting the proper amount of fuel to the carbs.

I did put it in the water on the trailer and it idled but as soon as I gave it throttle it died and was hard to restart like it was flooded. Choke just made it dye faster.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information