Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Regular

550sx pump questions...

I'm installing a new prop in my ski and I've ran into a couple of issues. I bought a brand new solas prop from Impros. I've had to use a few thick spacers to get the clearance correct in the pump. So this moved the impeller farther away from the vanes. What does that affect? Also now because the impeller is so much more forward I need to slot the pump mounting bolts and move the pump back about a 1/4 inch so that there is a little free play in the driveshaft. Anyone had to do that before?

Thanks
    Ryan

Re: 550sx pump questions...

Scats fit way better , have had that happen with solas impellors before , moved engine foreword instead , loosen up bed plate bolts and slide foreword

Having your impeller too far from the vanes will cause cavitation which could damage your vanes over time from turbulent flow. Plus youll be hurting your pump efficiency and performance. Better to ditch the washers imo

Quote Originally Posted by Bionic racing View Post
    Scats fit way better , have had that happen with solas impellors before , moved engine foreword instead , loosen up bed plate bolts and slide foreword
    I ran into the same issues with my 15/20 solas... Mine was so bad I had to add the spacers and move the motor... Ran it like that for around 2 hours and then the impeller unscrewed itself and ground itself down into the pump wall... got the impeller re worked by imros, got a used pump off a guy here, and had zero clearance issues with the new pump and impeller. I don't know if it was the pump that was wore out badly causing the issues or the impeller was sized weird the first time. But the new setup had zero clearance problems.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home BLRider's Avatar

Waxracing is building stainless pump shoe replacements that could solve this issue if your wear ring is worn or worn out. Should be available soon.
    Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Top Dog

something is not right with the impeller if you have to move it that much forward and notch the case too!
    either that or your wear ring is out of spec!

PWCToday Regular

Thanks guys. I agree something isn't right with this prop. It's just weird cause it's a brand new 15/20 solas. I ended up moving the motor forward a little bit and it's good to go now. I guess well see how it turns out...

Ryan

Thread Information