Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie
    Blog Entries

1st Time Poster, Tigershark 770 help CARB TROUBLE

Hey guys, I'm a new member to the site. I've been a long time reader on here but this is the first time actual posting.
    It would be greatly appreciated if somebody could shed some light on my situation . I just recently acquired a 1997 tigershark 770
    that's been sitting in a garage for the last 10 years. Right away I drained fuel, replaced fuel lines and fuel filter then refilled with fuel. The ski will only fire up if you pour fuel directly
    into the carb. Once it burns the fuel you poured, it dies. With that being said, I ordered (2) Mikuni SBN44 carb rebuild kits. I rebuilt the carbs ( to the best of my abilities )
    Now the ski will fire up and idle ( somewhat ) on its own, on the trailer. So I then took it too the water to test it out, once it was in the water it was very hard to start.
    I had to hold the throttle all the way down and partially choke it, finally it starts. I got 10 ft out or so and with throttle all the way pinned, it could barely pull its own weight.
    If you let off of the throttle, It dies. And then process repeats.

SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS THING. Any advice AT ALL is GREATLY appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

Re: 1st Time Poster, Tigershark 770 help CARB TROUBLE

You didn't pull the carbs apart ? The chances of that working without a full carb disassembly and cleaning are absolute zero my friend.
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

PWCToday Newbie
    Blog Entries

I completely Disassembled both carbs, then rebuilt with OEM carb kits

Ok if that is the case check your fuel selector valve, this site won't let you say pet****)
    Also did you replace the popoff spring by any chance, if so you should reinstall the stock springs.
    Last edited by WFO Speedracer; 12-06-2018 at 06:37 PM.
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

You did change spark plugs right???
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home john zigler's Avatar

As WFO said, check your fuel select. We see many issues with these on old skis. I don't bother cleaning them anymore, I just replace them.

Also as said, maybe you put in the worn needle arm spring? The Mikuni kits only come with 2 springs. 65 and 115 gram. Rarely are they correct for any application.

Did you replace the needle and seats? If not, you need to do this as well.

More - the Mikuni kits come with multiple types of fuel pump diaphragms and gaskets. (Some are for early Yamaha carbs) Are you sure you installed the correct gaskets, O-rings, and diaphragm? If you have the wrong ones in, it will not run. The hole around the fuel filter is different sizes, and will not seal. I have seen people install ALL the gaskets, O-rings, diaphragms, etc. which obviously can cause issues.

If you are unsure, take the fuel pump apart, and post up some pics here....
    RCJS also doing business as WATCON
    608-743-1305 9am to 5pm CST m-f
    email watcon@watcon.com

Please visit our web sites

new parts / products / services www.watcon.com
    used parts www.rockcountyjetski.webs.com
    thank you

Please check out and like WATCON on Facebook

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home john zigler's Avatar

Oh, and welcome to the site......
    RCJS also doing business as WATCON
    608-743-1305 9am to 5pm CST m-f
    email watcon@watcon.com

Please visit our web sites

new parts / products / services www.watcon.com
    used parts www.rockcountyjetski.webs.com
    thank you

Please check out and like WATCON on Facebook

PWCToday Newbie
    Blog Entries

Let me start by saying, Thank you all for the help and responses! It's a good feeling knowing their are still people out there willing to help somebody.

I completely forgot about the fuel selector, i'll replace that.

Far as the carb rebuild went, it was my first one. I did have everything laid out and started from scratch. When I was going back together I used the Mikuni Parts rebuild Diagram, that was provided with the kit.
    I did see the 2 Different pop off springs, so I then got on here and read to use the " silver " spring for a stock application. Which I did, With that being said I had no way of testing pop off pressure. But with nothing changing parts or performance wise, I " assumed " ( I know that's a strong word ) the pop off pressure would have stayed the same as before.

I did also replaced the needle and seats per what Mikuni said they should be.

I hate to spend the extra money when its not needed, but the tuning side of it has me scared enough that I might run one or both cylinders lean. And just buy brand new carbs lol

The springs are my only concern, if you are really worried about running lean back out the low and high speed screws to 2 turns, at this point it should be way too rich and run like total crap, now turn in the low speed screws till it idles decent then back them out about a 1/4 turn and reset the idle, now start doing wide open runs, it should still run like crap, start turning in the high speed screws 1/4 turn at a time till it runs decent, this way you are tuning from rich to lean and the worst you can do is fouls the spark plugs.

Thread Information