Been having starting issues lately. Could this be the cause?
pxctoday

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

Been having starting issues lately. Could this be the cause?

I have been having a problem where my 701 SJ starts up cold and runs fine. But after warming up, if I fall or just turn off the engine, it won't start. I just cranks and cranks. If I leave it for awhile, it starts back up again fine. I have spark every time I check, and the start/stop wire harness trick doesn't do anything to help.

Im rebuilding the carb for the winter. There was a mild amount of junk in the fuel filter, but the picture is what I'm most interested in. Is that check valve shape (the humps that are leaving a small gap) enough to cause a problem like I am having? I know I can't know either way until I get it back together and try it, but that won't be until it warms up again, so I'm just looking to feel good about it until then.

Thanks

IMG_0332[1].JPG

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

Re: Been having starting issues lately. Could this be the cause?

Clean the ENTIRE fuel system, including the tank and pickups. Electrical components can crap out when they get warm. You haven't supplied enough info to narrow it down. Could be crap sucked into the pickups, and it settles after it sits, or it could be a weak stator when it gets hot.

Does it have clean spark, under compression, when it takes a sh!t?

A service manual and a multimeter will give you a head start, but you may have to ride and get it to puke and then test, or use a heat gun on components and then test.

If you choke it/prime it/ spritz premix in the throat will it start?
    Last edited by whazguude; 11-27-2018 at 04:56 PM.
    I'm only here to make you mad

I'll tell your girl you said "hi".

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home john zigler's Avatar

Carb needs a rebuild.

I agree with Wazzy, we need more info. IMO I also think you are having an ignition issue. Pretty common on the old Yamaha's. Probably a stator, or coil. You need to load test the ignition when your ski dies. Checking spark while laying plugs on the head is not accurate.
    RCJS also doing business as WATCON
    608-743-1305 9am to 5pm CST m-f
    email watcon@watcon.com

Please visit our web sites

new parts / products / services www.watcon.com
    used parts www.rockcountyjetski.webs.com
    thank you

Please check out and like WATCON on Facebook

I dream skis
    Blog Entries

Are the needle and seats leaking down? Sometimes when you shut them off the needle and seats (if leaking) dump fuel in the engine and it floods. You wait a while and the gas evaporates and the engine starts up. Just a thought!

PWCToday Newbie

I've cleaned all fuel components except the tank and pickups. Will do that next.

Ill probably continue with this carb rebuild and hope it ends up being the cause. I know I haven't supplied as much info as is needed to diagnose, but Im still trying to gather that all myself. It's tough to diagnose and test components when I'm stuck in the middle of a lake hah. I am installing a primer as well, so I figure I can prime it if the issue comes up, and that will test for fuel delivery being the problem.

If this carb rebuild doesn't solve it, I will go through electronics (I would rather not). In my research I read of someone else with a similar problem. They just replaces the entire electrical box. I thin I would do that before I tested each component. Like most people here I like doing this type of work, but at some point I would rather ride than work on this thing.

Thank you for your replies.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home john zigler's Avatar

If you are still having troubles, run it on the trailer. Get it warm, shut it off, and do some diagnostics. OR go for a short ride, them come back to the trailer, and do some diagnostics. You need to get it to a "no start" condition on the trailer.

It is really pretty simple, I am sure you can handle it, and get it figured out.
    RCJS also doing business as WATCON
    608-743-1305 9am to 5pm CST m-f
    email watcon@watcon.com

Please visit our web sites

new parts / products / services www.watcon.com
    used parts www.rockcountyjetski.webs.com
    thank you

Please check out and like WATCON on Facebook

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Just for giggles, remove the plastic drive coupler cover and check for rear crank seals trying to pop out.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home wmazz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That used to be a common problem on Yamaha fuel pumps. Normally the check
    valve looks much worse. Yamaha gave 2 reasons for it, a backfire or water ingestion.

Replace all the intake gaskets, and if there is still a problem, let us know.

Bill M.
    Horsepower == Speed, RPM != Speed

Thread Information