Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

Help with 97 XP w/Factory Pipe

Quick background. I am a professional mechanic but not a marine mechanic. That being said I have owned and worked on several boats and skis including full engine rebuilds.

OK so I just picked up a 97 XP non running. So far compression is good, no water where it shouldnt be, mpem is working and the ski looks to be in decent overall condition.

Heres the "bad" part. It has a spec 1 factory pipe. The stock injection controller was replaced with an msd unit. At some point that unit physically burned up (a corner of the housing is cooked of and its power wires are a dead short). Im assuming this is what stopped the ski from working because the 5a fuse was blown on the mpem and the msd was wired for power through it.

Finally to my question. I have no interest in making max powah. I just want to cruise around and have some fun. I dont want to dump a bunch of money into the ski as its not worth it (sat outside for a few years). Is it possible to "detune" things with the pipe so I dont have to worry about running race gas or burning pistons etc? Possibly just run the water injection all the time or something like that. I understand the basics of 2 stroke exhausts but not enough to figure this thing out.

Any insight is greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by kennylxix; 11-05-2018 at 10:31 AM.

Re: Help with 97 XP w/Factory Pipe

I'll take that pipe and I got a 787 stock one you can put on...then just take the rev limiter out

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

PWCToday Newbie

I thought about doing something like that but I'm assuming the carbs have been returned for the pipe as new jets etc came in the kit. Not that I can't rejet the carbs but I'm looking for the easiest solution first. Hoping to not do a bunch of r&r.

Though if I were to take you up on this offer would you be paying for all the shipping as I'm assuming you'd be getting the sweeter end of that deal?
    I'm in Ocala FL.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeside8 View Post
    I'll take that pipe and I got a 787 stock one you can put on...then just take the rev limiter out

Quote Originally Posted by kennylxix View Post
    I thought about doing something like that but I'm assuming the carbs have been returned for the pipe as new jets etc came in the kit. Not that I can't rejet the carbs but I'm looking for the easiest solution first. Hoping to not do a bunch of r&r.

Though if I were to take you up on this offer would you be paying for all the shipping as I'm assuming you'd be getting the sweeter end of that deal?
    I'm in Ocala FL.
    Yes I would.... you can reject them carbs in 30 minutes and I could even tell you the exact Jets to put in it to make it work

PWCToday Newbie

Interesting offer. I'm assuming you know quite a bit about these setups. Is there any realistic way to make what I have work in some sort of detuned scenario? I understand you want the pipe but I'd appreciate the info.

Quote Originally Posted by kennylxix View Post
    Interesting offer. I'm assuming you know quite a bit about these setups. Is there any realistic way to make what I have work in some sort of detuned scenario? I understand you want the pipe but I'd appreciate the info.
    Unfortunately not that I'm aware of. you would be able to bolt on a stock pipe and make it. I have never came across a scenario to detune it. To my best knowledge if you wanted that pipe to work you would need to upgrade your carbs to some 44s. When you're all said and done prior around three to four hundred bucks to make it semi reliable I guess

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home wmazz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeside8 View Post
    if you wanted that pipe to work you would need to upgrade your carbs to some 44s. When you're all
    said and done prior around three to four hundred bucks to make it semi reliable I guess
    I Disagree, that set-up will run reliable with the stock carbs.

But it is too bad the msd is damaged.

Does it still have a stock impeller? If not, what size is it?

Bill M.
    Last edited by wmazz; 11-05-2018 at 04:18 PM.
    Horsepower == Speed, RPM != Speed

The factory pipe setups are worth pretty good money. If you dont want to tinker with it, I'd sell the pipe and find a used stock pipe. They are everywhere and pretty cheap. Open up carbs and see what jetting is. The factory jetting is in the manual so it will be easy to go back stock

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Matt Braley's Avatar

You could hard jet the water injection system with high speed Mikuni jets or utilize the stock water regulator with that pipe(as per the FPP instructions).

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

I have a customer with a Factory pipe that is hard jetted with a works flow control. It seems to run just fine.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Thread Information