User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Broken Power Valve (Lower Half MIA) GP1200R - Questions with Pics

I bought a GP1200R a few months ago, owner had tried rebuilding the carbs unsuccessfully. Found a bent throttle plate on the center carb and an overall dirty system but nothing crazy. So I did a full cleanup and rebuild and "synced fuel pumps", deleted the accelerator pump, removed chokes, installed primer pump and an overall re-jetted 110/125/1.5 for Riva Filters. Converted her to premix too. Cranked her up and after a few 15-20 second warmup the MAG and Center cylinders were warm but the PTO cylinder was cold. Checked for spark, it was good. Seemed wet inside the cylinder so I think I'm getting fuel. So I started investigating everything and when I opened up the power valve covers I found that it has the newer style (SBT?) pin retainers on the Power Valves. Great! But... the PTO PV was missing the M4x8mm hex bolt holding it to the shaft. Not great. Further investigation (pulled the head) showed that the lower half of the power valve was just gone. Broken off and MIA completely.

Miraculously, the piston and cylinder look almost new. There is a tiny 0.5mmx2mm nick in the edge of the piston near the rear of the exhaust hole. And a "scratch?" in the sidewall of the piston near the same area (see pic #2 and #3).

My question is...

#1 What should be my concerns here? Just throw a new powervalve in and go? Pull the rest of the exhaust (stinger is already off)? I don't think any PV pieces could make it into the lower end of the block could they? Not wanting to pull any cylinders for no reason. 99% chance the pieces all got sucked out the exhaust right?
    #2 How does that "scratch" look to you??
    #3 Would this whole problem cause a cylinder to not fire (to be cold after a quick run-up off hose)? Just wondering if I need to look at the PTO carb (99% I rebuilt it perfectly) or whether this is likely what my problem was?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Broken Power Valve (Lower Half MIA) GP1200R - Questions with Pics

Quote Originally Posted by turbodriven View Post
    I bought a GP1200R a few months ago, owner had tried rebuilding the carbs unsuccessfully. Found a bent throttle plate on the center carb and an overall dirty system but nothing crazy. So I did a full cleanup and rebuild and "synced fuel pumps", deleted the accelerator pump, removed chokes, installed primer pump and an overall re-jetted 110/125/1.5 for Riva Filters. Converted her to premix too. Cranked her up and after a few 15-20 second warmup the MAG and Center cylinders were warm but the PTO cylinder was cold. Checked for spark, it was good. Seemed wet inside the cylinder so I think I'm getting fuel. So I started investigating everything and when I opened up the power valve covers I found that it has the newer style (SBT?) pin retainers on the Power Valves. Great! But... the PTO PV was missing the M4x8mm hex bolt holding it to the shaft. Not great. Further investigation (pulled the head) showed that the lower half of the power valve was just gone. Broken off and MIA completely.

Miraculously, the piston and cylinder look almost new. There is a tiny 0.5mmx2mm nick in the edge of the piston near the rear of the exhaust hole. And a "scratch?" in the sidewall of the piston near the same area (see pic #2 and #3).

My question is...

#1 What should be my concerns here? Just throw a new powervalve in and go? Pull the rest of the exhaust (stinger is already off)? I don't think any PV pieces could make it into the lower end of the block could they? Not wanting to pull any cylinders for no reason. 99% chance the pieces all got sucked out the exhaust right?
    #2 How does that "scratch" look to you??
    #3 Would this whole problem cause a cylinder to not fire (to be cold after a quick run-up off hose)? Just wondering if I need to look at the PTO carb (99% I rebuilt it perfectly) or whether this is likely what my problem was?
    pretty simple to take a compression test,it will tell you a lot.
    RGR Racing.com

Compression was 120/120/120 as I was rebuilding the carbs last week. Reeds looked good too. I'm assuming the Power Valve "incident" happened before I owned the ski? Cylinder appears clean, piston looks fairly clean. It's just incredibly odd to me that it could lose such a large chunk of metal and not cause any (or very little) damage. Should I buy a lottery ticket?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

I have had two engines over the years break a power valve and damage nothing except the piston and rings, the rest were not so lucky.
    Last edited by WFO Speedracer; 11-03-2018 at 10:59 AM.
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Grumpy Old Guy's Avatar

I have seen a couple break off & go out the exhaust without any damage what so ever.

Thread Information