Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

1993 Boston Whaler Rage / Adding Instruments/ Yamaha 650 Motor

I'm happy to say after 32 years I finally bought another boat: a 1993 Boston Whaler Rage with a Yamaha 650 jet drive. The decision was a compromise between the Waverunner my Wife wanted and the Center console boat I wanted.

I would like to add some small gauges to the boat, primarily a Tachometer and most importantly an engine temperature gauge. I will use a GPS/Fishfinder for speed indication.

The RAGE boat has no gauges whatsoever,

Faria seems to be the popular choice these days....so if I buy a 2 stroke tach for my motor will it read correctly? Where in wiring diagram should I connect the trigger lead?

Secondly is an engine temp gauge....I know the engine has it's own temperature sensor that limits the motor but I would like the option of having a gauge in the console. Normally there are placed in the engine block to do this and I have read some blogs about using a few brass t fittings to get the sensor mounted but not interfering with the cooling system. Has anybody done this and where do I locate it?

Thanks in advance!
    HK

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home AC 46's Avatar

Re: 1993 Boston Whaler Rage / Adding Instruments/ Yamaha 650 Motor

Congrats on your purchase. The stock rev limiter is there to prevent overrev.As is the thermo sensor but im sure you could set something up. A tiny tach would tell you rpm& hours.
    R.I.P. Super Sic

PWCToday Newbie

Yeah I'm just not sure where to connect the trigger or impulse wire in this scenario.

Any ideas?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home fox river pwc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

20180818_171128.jpg

Got my 92 Rage in early July and have used it a crap ton since. So far I've only done pump and intake mods, and replaced the crappy outboard style gas tanks with tanks from old PWCs, where I now have reserve and can actually see the fuel level through the plastic.

Other than using a tomtom GPS ONLY when testing my pump mods - I picked up nearly 6mph with a bone stock motor and noting but pump mods and a SS impeller - I haven't even thought about or missed having any kind of gauges. I did buy a large high end waterproof bluetooth speaker, cuz the Rage does need music. Just can't see any real need for gauges any more than I would need gauges on my wr3 - as this Rage basically performs just like a big wr3.

One thing is for sure with the Rage = visibility from the driving position is poor when you're alone and really sucks with a passenger in the bow. It rides bow high, and you're sitting at the center-rear, so seeing what is directly in front of you is basically impossible. You have to stay very aware when driving it, especially on a busy waterway. So the last thing I'd want to be looking at while driving is gauges. And with the yamaha electronics, it's not going to over rev ever - not to mention a yami 650 doesn't make enough power or RPMs to blow itself up anyhow, and the yami temp sensor will put it into limp mode and save you from an OH condition - AND, if you really are running dry on cooling water, good chance you will notice the extra engine noise.

Just my 2cents after having one for a bit now. The mods I've done to improve top speed, cut planing time in half, and prevent the pump from plugging up with weeds have been cheap and beyond worth my time. Next I'm dropping in a 701 with a head and a pipe, because this Rage is begging for some more ooooomf.

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Yeah, I'm an @sshole, but I'm not a complete @sshole.

http://badgerlandjetpilots.com/

I don't come here to make enemies - only to identify them...

@fox river pwc, nice update and I always like the Rage. Post up some pics if you get a chance

Blog Entries

37167532_2286749211341375_3108350411451400192_n.jpg

LOL - don't tempt me. Already have a ton of pictures. Documented the pump mods, and you will sh1t when you see my PVC beach stand . Seriously. It's silly clever. Fits inside the boat, and it's not in the way. Then one person can slide the boat right up and on it. I'll get a thread going this winter.

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

PWCToday Newbie

Basically what I'm trying to do with the tach is calculate runtime based off the original Boston Waler Rage brochure. Smart tabs are going on the boat in a week or so, impeller this winter with a an entire jet pump redo......

I'm planning in running through some of the islands on the west coast of Florida...mostly inland waterways.......running out of gas on a lake close to home is one thing.....being out a long way from the dock is another....thus the tach and water temp gauge.

Ideally I'd like to adjust the tabs to have the boat plane out at about 2800 rpm if I can pull that off.

yes tunes are coming also........

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home PrickofMisery's Avatar

For you Henry and Paul.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PrickofMisery View Post
    For you Henry and Paul.
    Thanks. I actually have a paper copy of that. The owner of my Rage gave me a 2 inch binder of documents and brochures and every receipt from the history of the boat. Even the original receipt for $10,400 + tax .

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Thread Information