Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2003 xp-di

PWCToday Newbie

2003 xp-di

Just purchased a pair of these machines. Was told one does not start. I am in the process of charging the batteries but the description i was given and what it says on the repair order is.

Inserted Key, beeps two times as it should, press start button, NOTHING, no crank. Tech jumped starter relay, nothing, no crank. Returned to customer.

Before i start digging into the starter, cables...etc is there anything that is part of the DESS system that would cause this, even if the key is recognized?

Thoughts?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Re: 2003 xp-di

If you jump the starter terminals the starter should crank. That's power directly to the starter terminal.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Take plugs out and spin engine by hand to make sure that it is not seized. If not, maybe the starter is bad.
    Last edited by mrwhipper; 10-08-2018 at 12:53 PM.

PWCToday Newbie

Will do, i hope its that easy...

PWCToday Newbie

The one machine runs, it was sunk but she runs good now. I won’t even talk about that mess.

The other is an electrical issue. Plug key in...nothing. There is power at battery and solenoid. So I open the electrical box cover and I find a disaster. Wires cut extra something sitting down there. Original had 3 wires new one 4. Wires cut and I can’t seem to locate the 2nd large red wire. See pics. Idk what people are thinking �� B6DAA9D0-2846-48EB-ABED-9540860BFE5F.jpeg648E45C8-1988-405E-B2A9-79946C31500B.jpeg605DECC4-40C6-4B02-820A-8B93AA2DE29C.jpeg
    Last edited by turbosl2; 10-08-2018 at 07:11 PM.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Grumpy Old Guy's Avatar

Just my opinion but the DI is a HUGE nightmare looking for a place to happen.

Ditch those POS before you spend too much $$$ trying to fix them. One good thing is you have another to swap parts if needed.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

The piece with wires cut and new one has 4 is a start relay. I don't quite understand why we need it all?? I've bypassed a couple with no issues. It powers up when the key is put on and allows power through to allow the mpem to trigger the start solenoid. Maybe it's to keep the mpem amp draw from running the battery dead during extended storage periods???
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    The piece with wires cut and new one has 4 is a start relay. I don't quite understand why we need it all?? I've bypassed a couple with no issues. It powers up when the key is put on and allows power through to allow the mpem to trigger the start solenoid. Maybe it's to keep the mpem amp draw from running the battery dead during extended storage periods???
    So I assume this is why I have no power? Or is the computer and key powered separately

Frequent Poster

The DESS has two sides, one controls small stuff like bilge pump, the other side is the ground for that relay which supplies main power for MPEM, as said by Myself it's used to help with power draw when the boat is shut down, I would test that relay and repair those wires, just look up wire diagram

PWCToday Newbie

Ok that will be my plan tonight. My assumption is the wires were cut to wire in the new relay when he realized he bought a 4 wire relay vs a 3, then stopped

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information