Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Grumpy Old Guy's Avatar

951 carbed in 3D

A customer just gave me a 2005 3D with a 800 RFI & I have a carbed 951 from a XPL so I want to put the 951 in the 3D...

I have got everything pretty much figured out except for the exhaust chamber...they run a very flat exhaust chamber in the 3D & I want to use the XPL chamber.

Has anyone done this swap ?? Would love to get this done over the winter...maybe I will have to modify the inner liner to get it to fit.

Re: 951 carbed in 3D

Looks like I will be the first....

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

The 3d has a ton of plastic chambers and tubing under the rear access panel. My buddy melted half of them, so I just bypassed most of the "resonant chambers" back there. I know that's not what you asked, but....

I do believe the bottom decks are the same. I had an 01 951 xpl and an 05 3D 800rfi side by side on a trailer, and they looked the same. Layout should work, but the 3D's top deck has less headroom, if I remember correctly.

I know the 3D is the red headed step child, but with the kart seat and a 951? Should be fun.

Didn't they make it with a 951 for a year or two?
    I'm only here to make you mad

I'll tell your girl you said "hi".

Yeah I found the resonators & hoses when I opened the back hatch. I cant believe Seadoo built such a nightmare & thats what killed this ski. The resonators melted & it filled with saltwater & he let it sit on a floating dock.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The 2004 & 2005 3D came with 800 RFI & the 06-07 came with 951 DI. I have ridden the RFI one a few times & had fun...not fast but a fun play ski for a old guy that cant ride a real standup worth a chit. LOL

The bottom part of the hull was made from the XPL hull thus the 155 pump that made the RFI model a dog. I have a donor 2001 XPL sitting right next to it & it is exactly the same.

So my plan is to transplant the 951 carbed motor in which will drop in with a small mod to the front motor mount running the XPL metal tube back to the stock RFI water box which is really a XPL water box with the outlet angled to clear the rear hatch & has no water regulator as the 3D models run a dry pipe with a water jacket around the pipe chamber. I am gonna drill & tap the 3D waterbox & use the water reg system from the XPL or maybe just use a jetworks valve for the water injection.

All the resonators are going in the garbage where they belong. The motor will stay pretty much stock,fresh rebuild,case cooler,mill the head...not looking to spend a lot of $$ but def gonna do it right. The driveline from the RFI is the same as the XPL & gonna use a big hub bronze pump.
    Last edited by Grumpy Old Guy; 10-02-2018 at 09:25 PM.

Too much reliance on Computer-Aided Design (CAD) causes the Design Engineers to lose focus on real-life operating conditions. Incorrect assumptions about Water quality and aeration probably resulted in lower design temps than those encountered in real-world operating conditions.

I've seen a multi-million dollar Desalination Plant in Florida fail due to the same reason. Worked beautiful on the Computer Model and in the Mini-Test Pilot Plant. But when the big plant was built, the Osmosis Filters clogged in 3 days! The real salt water quality was way nastier and way more riddled with sea life (barnacles, etc) than expected. If they would have just bothered to ask the local fisherman what the water characteristics were...

I do admire the design and machining of the carburated 951 cc Engine. To me, it's a work of art.
    Last edited by JC-SuperJet; 10-02-2018 at 09:26 PM.

It is really a very compact design (motor)

Pressure washed the inside tonight with everything out of the hull.....

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

951 is a nasty powerplant, I just hate the carb location. I'd suggest keeping the stock airbox. Aftermarket filters love to ingest water, and we all know how 951's hate that.

On my 3D, it seemed like there was a limiter switch when the kart seat was installed. Maybe it just felt slower. I never actually bothered to look, nor did I gps or try to confirm. Just my impression.

I got rid of the 3D a few years ago, but I still have the xpl, if you need measurements or anything else for reference.

I'd be willing to sell it, too, if you wanted a fairly clean 01, with a fresh, less than 20 minutes after three heat cycles, sbt cylinder exchange motor. Trim still works.

Funny how the xpl has electric trim, and the 3D has that manual knob, having the same bottom deck.
    Last edited by whazguude; 10-03-2018 at 10:46 AM.
    I'm only here to make you mad

I'll tell your girl you said "hi".

I have a 2001 XPL sitting right next to it in my garage. Its the donor for the motor swap.

Tonight I set the motor in & confirmed how easy this is gonna be......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information