Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

Another new guy question

Hello all, new to the page. I am also new to the wonderful world of pwc. I had recently bought a 1988 wr500 and really enjoy my 1st pwc. So much so I bought a ts Barracuda and a Daytona, both 1994s. I understand they are both injected and not premix like the yamaha, my question is why does it say 50:1 on the oil tank fill? Also if anyone has an owners manual to either ts I would like to familiarize myself with the ins & outs. Thanks in advance.

Re: Another new guy question

My personal recommendation is to take those skis and remove the oil pumps and tanks all together. Then premix at 42:1 and your golden. Those oil pumps are now over 25 years old and a time bomb for your engine. 10 years ago you might have gotten away with running them but at this point I just can't recommend the risk. There is no light, no noise, no warning. Your engine will just seize and by that point it's done. The 640 pumps have been known to fail. I have owned over 15 sharks and every one of em got converted to premix that I rode. The 50:1 is supposedly the ratio that the oil pump mixes at however as your throttle position changes, so does the out put of the oil pump so the ratio is constantly changing while your riding. Again, another reason to convert. You should be mixing your premix at a ratio sufficient for wot. It will run slightly rich at other throttle positions but if you don't you will run lean at wot and risk a seizure.
    Own:
    98' TS1000R
    97' Daytona 1000
    97' Daytona 1000
    97' Daytona 1000
    Owned:
    94' Montego (my first) sold
    95' Daytona sold
    95' Daytona parted out
    95' Barracuda sold
    96' Montego sold
    96' Daytona (the one that got away...) sold
    96' Monte Carlo 900 sold
    97' Daytona 1000 clean and beautiful. You will be missed.
    97' Daytona 1000 sold
    99' TS770R sold

PWCToday Newbie

Appreciate the advise, I don't like the idea of the injection anyway. Is it an expensive or complicated process to remove the injection?

Not at all. Just messy. The pumps are on the outside of the engine, bolted to the flywheel/magneto cover with two screws. Pop the pumps off, zip tie a kink in the feed line from the tank, cut it off the pump, pull the two feed lines (the barracuda will only have one) to the intake manifold and put vaccume caps over the nipples on the manifold, and the pump is out. You can buy or make block off plates for the flywheel housing to cover the hole, just put a thin bead of rtv around the hole first. All that's left is to remove the oil tank and your done.

But, you MUST flush the straight gas out of the carbs and fuel lines. There will be enough gas in the lines/carbs/filter to run for several minutes at idle which could severely damage the engine if not removed. I also recommend syphoning the fuel out of the fuel tank to measure so you can mix it properly. You will never get every drop out of the tank so your first tank should be mixed a little rich to account for this. Then you just need to prime the fuel system with the mixed gas and done! Ready to ride.

I forgot there is actually two methods you can use to do this. The easiest way is to run them both near empty, then fill them with premix at the ratio you are going to be running, and go ride them for a half hour or so to allow the premix to make it's way through the entire fuel system. Then all you need to do is pull the pumps and tanks and your done.
    Last edited by Associated98; 09-21-2018 at 01:34 PM.
    Own:
    98' TS1000R
    97' Daytona 1000
    97' Daytona 1000
    97' Daytona 1000
    Owned:
    95' Daytona sold
    95' Daytona parted out
    95' Barracuda sold
    96' Montego sold
    96' Monte Carlo 900 sold
    97' Daytona 1000 sold
    99' TS770R sold

PWCToday Newbie

Ok, sounds easy enough. I sure appreciate the help.

PWCToday Newbie

So I've been thinking and have another question which I'm sure has a simple answer I'm not seeing. Why not run premix, leave the oil tank empty and leave the pump in place? It wouldn't matter if the pump quit and the hole is covered. Like I said sure there is a reason it won't work but curious.. Thanks again

With out oil feeding the pump (which spins at engine rpm, so several thousand rpm) it will over heat and melt. It could potentially start a fire as well. If it locks up it's going to tear the mag cover apart and ruin your magneto assembly. Best to remove it. You don't have to pull the tank if you don't want to, but if you leave it kinked in the hull it could leak. Alot.
    Last edited by Associated98; 09-22-2018 at 11:27 AM.
    Own:
    98' TS1000R
    97' Daytona 1000
    97' Daytona 1000
    97' Daytona 1000
    Owned:
    95' Daytona sold
    95' Daytona parted out
    95' Barracuda sold
    96' Montego sold
    96' Monte Carlo 900 sold
    97' Daytona 1000 sold
    99' TS770R sold

PWCToday Newbie

Thanks, that's y I ask.

Thread Information