User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Possible first pwc (1996 Yamaha Wave Blaster 2)

That's a good deal.. I'd scoop it up before you lose it to your own advertising lol

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Buy/Sale/Trade Jet ski parts on FB: https://m.facebook.com/groups/809811469202373

PWCToday Newbie General Parrish's Avatar

Does anyone know what the compression should be? I'm looking at it in the morning. I read it has staggered compression? I would think I'd be looking for 150-150 right? I've never done a compression test, but it seems easy enough.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

Each cylinder should have a compression value that is within 10% of the other (ideally 5% or less). It should be measured cold and not with any oil added directly to the cylinder.

Even if it has poor compression you are getting a good deal.
    Riding mostly Lake Austin

1984 JS440 -- 1989 650sx -- 1991 X2 -- 1992 750sx -- 1995 900zxi (qty 2) -- 1995 X2

Quote Originally Posted by cujo View Post
    God intended PWC to be two strokes, as well as dirt bikes, snowmobiles, and chain saws....

PWCToday Regular

I used to have a 1996 WaveBlaster II 760. I served me well and I never had any issues. My biggest gripe was fuel usage as it can be quite thirsty. It was definitely a fun ride. Very light and nimble. Riding 2 up took a bit of practice as it got a bit tipsy but was definitely do-able..
    Last edited by mattjw76; 09-23-2018 at 01:48 PM.

PWCToday Guru

I miss my WB2. I could ride 2 up no problem, plenty of different girls rode passenger on that ski. Never had a single issue with it, damn near bulletproof. But like Matt said they are quite thirsty. I'm actually in the market for another one soon.
    1988 Kawasaki JS550/ Jetsport head, Westcoast pipe, PJS exhaust mani, SBN44 Westcoast velocity stack, quadrafin rideplate, westcoast intake grate, skat prop, custom paint, 4 deg bars, finger throttle

PWCToday Newbie General Parrish's Avatar

Well she is now parked in my garage. Being so new to jet skis I am nervous because I really have no idea how long this will last. These were the factors in buying:

Pros:
    *$800, figured this was a great deal
    *Nice trailer
    *The owner was willing to let me test drive it and it drove pretty well
    *idles nice
    *accelerates nice
    *was located only an hour away

Cons

*It pulls to the left just a little. This isn't bad, but it bugs me. Is there a way to adjust this?

*The vacuum water out doesn't work. Water is suppose to shoot out the back right? The owner installed a pump that pumps water out the side through a small hole. There is a switch installed on the dash that turns the pump on/off. While I don't see a downside to this pump I would like to fix the original vacuum system if possible. Any idea how difficult this would be? how expensive?

*Compression check came in at 125 for the front and 120 on the back, BUT I was using a compression gauge I borrowed from AutoZone. Wouldn't there be a drop because air in the gauges line? idk I'm glad both were within 5 and that is perfect range since these are staggered. I was expecting closer to 140-135 though. It ran good so this didn't seem like an issue. thoughts?

Also the previous owner already disconnected the oil injection. He's running premix. I've never mixed gas. What should I be buying? Any mixing tips? I can't imagine this is difficult at all, but I have never done it and I know it's important you do it right.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

Nice buy!

Based on your stats, I'd assume that your altitude is 3000' or higher? You'll lose some in the compression reading as a result. Also, most compression gauges are way off in their reading values so the important part is that the readings are less than 5% of each other.

Here is a small table to adjust compression based on altitude:

Altitude Factor
    1000' .9711
    2000' .9428
    3000' .9151
    4000' .8881
    5000' .8617
    6000' .8359
    7000' .8106
    8000' .7860

As for oil, any TCW-3 rated oil will be fine. Go with the cheap stuff or the most expensive you can find -- whatever you prefer. You will also find that recommendations on ratio will be all over the map. I like to run 45:1.
    Riding mostly Lake Austin

1984 JS440 -- 1989 650sx -- 1991 X2 -- 1992 750sx -- 1995 900zxi (qty 2) -- 1995 X2

Quote Originally Posted by cujo View Post
    God intended PWC to be two strokes, as well as dirt bikes, snowmobiles, and chain saws....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information