Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Regular

Js300 extreme!!!

IMG_20180906_135555967_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180906_132620907_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

I ride a stock JS300 and go on solo adventures. One thing my trusty 300 is good for is long distance runs, but usually on mostly calm water.

This weekend I attempted Liberty State Park to the Brooklyn Bridge, right past the Statue of Liberty. Once out in the bay the chop was extreme and I was suddently in over my head on this craft.

Couldn't ride standing: the ski couldn't get enough speed and even when it did the chop was too random sending me all over. The only thing that worked at all was me on my knees at about 2/3 throttle, blipping to WOT with the surf, doing maybe 5mph. I almost turned back about halfway out realizing I was in a pretty dicey situation, but instead pushed forward and *completely exhausted* made it to the Brooklyn Bridge as planned! I climbed up onto the outer perimeter floating dock of the Brookly Marina and collapsed. It was 100 degrees out and I realized I hadn't put my drink in the backpack. My ribs were bruised from impacting against pole repeatedly while hanging onto that ski for dear life.

I knew I had to get back and so I set out. Even at full throttle my ski could barely climb some of the waves on the return trip, dropping to probably 2-3 mph repeatedly. I ran a parallel course to the Staten Island Ferry for a while. Helicopters buzzed overhead constantly. Some of the waves crashed completely over my ski and me as I took them head on.

I did manage to stand up for a short burst right in front of lady liberty when the chop allowed and give a thumbs up to the spectators on one nearby ferry!

Never in my life have I been so happy to return to the boat ramp.

Frequent Poster

Re: Js300 extreme!!!

You really took a difficult trip. The currents can be very strong when the tide is running. I imagine that the boat and ship traffic was treacherous too.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home SxiPro's Avatar

Doing that solo was incredibly stupid. Period.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

I personally feel like riding solo at all is stupid. Anything could happen at any time. Like diving....always have a buddy!
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home hellcat66's Avatar

i agree..you have sack but no brain

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

If you die on a standup riding some big surf is there a better way to go? You'll have died doing something you love, kind of like Patrick Swayze's character in Point Break.
    Riding mostly Lake Austin

1984 JS440 -- 1989 650sx -- 1991 X2 -- 1992 750sx -- 1995 900zxi (qty 2) -- 1995 X2

Quote Originally Posted by cujo View Post
    God intended PWC to be two strokes, as well as dirt bikes, snowmobiles, and chain saws....

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

He's on a fukking 300, for christs sake. That story is not anywhere near fun.
    I'm only here to make you mad

I'll tell your girl you said "hi".

PWCToday Regular

I don't have any friends with jetskis. So it is either ride solo or not at all. I have a good whistle, my phone in a floating watertight bag, and boatUS towing through my Geico policy, none of which I have ever used.

Usually I'm somewhere on a river though and not an open bay... I think on this trip the whistle would have been the only thing that mattered if things took a bad turn.

Thread Information