Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Blown Head Gasket

I am going to remove the exhaust manifold to also verify that no exhaust gasses are getting into the water jacket from there.
    E1110.GIFE1140.GIF
    Last edited by E350; 09-06-2018 at 11:24 AM.
    Learning Slowly...

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

What is your member name on practical machinist? I'm a member there, also. 90% of those guys forgot more about machining, than you and I could ever hope to learn.
    Last edited by whazguude; 09-06-2018 at 11:52 AM.
    I'm only here to make you mad

I'll tell your girl you said "hi".

Hey Mr. Good! I have been meaning to thank you for your suggestion to contact John Zigler re neoprene block off material. I will do.

I joined practicalmachinist.com because some of those guys and gals were helpful about welding. (I am a grinder aspiring to become a grindless welder...)

My user name is E350 same as here. I do not have a lathe or such. I have read your posts here, you are much more of a machinist than I will ever be.
    Last edited by E350; 09-06-2018 at 12:03 PM.
    Learning Slowly...

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

Welding really comes down to prep. Take the time to prep, and you'll never have to finish grind, aside from clearance issues.
    As far as the PM site, follow the rules, and you'll be fine. I get away with some sh!t, guessing because I add entertainment value.
    BTW, I just pretend to be a machinist. I'm actually a reverse super hero, contributing nothing by day, attributing lot's of bad at night.

Most of the peeps on Practical Machinist are serious, legit machinist by trade. They don't take lightly to hobbyist types. But, phrased correctly, they'll help you out, best they can.
    Last edited by whazguude; 09-06-2018 at 12:43 PM.
    I'm only here to make you mad

I'll tell your girl you said "hi".

I have decided to drop off the head and the exhaust manifold for resurfacing to a Langills precision machine shop in Sacramento tomorrow morning:

http://langills.com/

They did a great job when I rebuilt the distributor in the 5.8L in my Bronco last year.

I was stunned and pleasantly surprised to see that the 1988 X2 650 engine had reeds in the intake! I assumed that all 1988 Kawasaki engines were piston ports.

DSC04134.JPGKawasaki_Page_1.jpg
    Learning Slowly...

Head and exhaust manifold are back from the machine shop. $60 to have both re-surfaced. The head had a 0.015 inch twist but is now flat.

DSC04244 (2).JPG

Two questions:

1. The O-rings in the photo are new and are good to 250 degrees Farenheit. They are not Viton. They are 90 durometer. I purchased them at Fluid Tech which is a local industrial (I mean massive 16" dia. 12' long actuators with 8' throws) hydraulics shop. Anyway this is the best they had. Are they the right material, softness and heat range?

McMaster-Car has a whole bunch of 042 O-rings of varying softness including Viton and silicone which are good to 400 or 450F.

Should I order two of these instead?

http://https://www.mcmaster.com/o-ring-seals

If so, which do you recommend?

2. Should I put some Threeond 1211 or Yamabond 4 or some other sealer on the aluminum around the water jackets?

I have the oem Kawasaki Jet Ski X-2 Waterccraft Service Manual, but the stock head uses a gasket not o-rings, so it is not helpful on this topic.
    Last edited by E350; 10-19-2018 at 10:45 PM.
    Learning Slowly...

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Those o'rings will be fine. The Seadoos come oem with regular rubber o'rings. Threebond would probably be fine to seal the waterjacket area, I use regular grey rtv. Just smear a light coat with your finger on both surfaces and bolt it on.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Thanks Myself! I had a procedure done on my knees so I am done riding for this season but I can't wait to see if it seals the exhaust gasses off from the water jacket. I have a gasket for the exhaust manifold so on that side I am going to just use that. Have a great and a Blessed Weekend Buddy!
    Learning Slowly...

OK guys, which do I use and how do I apply it?

In other words, how thick or thin and narrow of sealant do I put on? My guess is that I don't want sealant on the O-rings and not inside the water jackets.

But that requires a fairly narrow application -- likely a bead 1/3 the width of the area between the jackets in the center of the area between the jackets so that when it squishes, it completely covers the area, but does not bleed over to the water jacket cavities.

I have no idea how to apply a bead that thin with that much precision.

DSC04748.JPG

Suggestions?
    Last edited by E350; Today at 05:16 PM.
    Learning Slowly...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information