Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

97 sea doo xp surging issue

Hello,
    I have a 97 Sea Doo XP with a very annoying issue that's giving me grief. A few years ago i bought this ski from a friend and it ran okay at first but then it had a bogging issue so i went onto this forum and was told to drain the fuel system, rebuild the carbs, and replace grey lines. so i did. and it ran pretty good for a while. Then recently this year it started having a somewhat similar problem. it will run good for a while then feel like it lost all power and only wants to go slightly faster than idle and sometimes power will kick in for a minute then stop. So i cleaned the carbs cleaned the gas tank and put them back in. took it back out and it still didn't work good. I pulled the plugs and they looked pretty black so i replaced them and suddenly the ski worked great.but only for about an hour or two then it started to crap out. i brought them back and started researching fouling plugs. Its an oil foul not carbon. I was told check oil pump marks... they were fine.i was told to check compression...150 on both. i was also told to check for a leaking rotary valve seal by pulling plugs and cranking engine to look for oil sputtering out... nothing. then i was told to clean the rave valves. they were very dirty. i changed the plugs and took it out and it ran better than it ever had but only for about two hours then it started to surge again and wouldn't get high rpm. I took the ski out again a week later hoping that i could get a few hours of riding on some fresh plugs but almost immediately after launch i felt a slight surge and after 15 minutes it would only go to about 30% power. now i'm stumped and am not sure what to do. any help would be appreciated. I'm going to attach a few images of the plugs that went bad after only a 15 minute in case that helps pics with yellow ski in background is the front cylinder green ski are rear cylinder.

Thanks,
    Trevan
    Attached Images Attached Images

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home john zigler's Avatar

Re: 97 sea doo xp surging issue

Take your plug boots off the wire, cut them back a 1/4" or so, and re-install. Try this install new plugs, gap them at .024 and report back....
    RCJS also doing business as WATCON
    608-743-1305 9am to 5pm CST m-f
    email watcon@watcon.com

Please visit our web sites

new parts / products / services www.watcon.com
    used parts www.rockcountyjetski.webs.com
    thank you

Please check out and like WATCON on Facebook

PWCToday Newbie

i just bought a brand new coil with new wires and i'm going to install that mid next week. I will let you know how it goes

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

At what rpm is this happening? Could be the infamous bad rave housings.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home wmazz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Why is there water drops on the ends of the spark plugs?
    There was water in nearly all of your pictures.

Is the pto driveline cover missing?

When the carbs were rebuilt, did you install 2.0 or larger seats?
    or lowered the pop-off?

Have you eliminated the accelerator pump?

Bill M.

What are the low speed screws set too?
    Are the hi speed screws closed?

Did you remove the main jets when you cleaned the carbs?
    Last edited by wmazz; 09-02-2018 at 01:29 AM.
    Horsepower == Speed, RPM != Speed

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home john zigler's Avatar

I did not look at your pics at first, but I too am now wanting to know why you have water on your plugs?

That may be your whole issue. Blow head o-ring, cracked/warped head, cyl, etc.?
    RCJS also doing business as WATCON
    608-743-1305 9am to 5pm CST m-f
    email watcon@watcon.com

Please visit our web sites

new parts / products / services www.watcon.com
    used parts www.rockcountyjetski.webs.com
    thank you

Please check out and like WATCON on Facebook

PWCToday Newbie

the ski has no tachometer so we have no way to tell what rmp it happens at. it seams like it doesn't happen at a specific rmp. It will idle and then accelerate to about 1/4 of its speed and then wont accelerate past that. then out of nowhere sometimes it will gain power for a few seconds then stop.

PWCToday Newbie

@wmazz I believe the water drops are because i just washed out the bilge after going to the ocean and water has pooled up in the spark plug wells and when i pulled the plugs out water dripped onto the threads of the plugs and onto the ends. the PTO drive line cover looks fine. when carbs were rebuilt pop off was set to stock settings from the shop manual and the seats were stock size. i have not eliminated the accelerator pump... Is there a reason to? Low and high speed screws were set last year when we did a full rebuild of the carbs to stock settings. if i remember correctly it was closed for high and 1.5 out for low. main jets were removed and cleaned in last years rebuild but not this years cleaning.

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by john zigler View Post
    I did not look at your pics at first, but I too am now wanting to know why you have water on your plugs?

That may be your whole issue. Blow head o-ring, cracked/warped head, cyl, etc.?
    As far as i can tell the water is just excess water that dripped onto the plugs when i removed then because water had pooled into the wells when i washed out the bilge. the engine has 150 psi compression on both cylinders so i don,t think water could be getting in and also wouldn't the engine not run at all if water was in there. sometimes the engine runs great sometimes is sucks so if water was getting in there i would think it would always suck.

PWCToday Newbie

One thought of mine was to pull the carbs off of my 97 sea doo gtx which runs great all the time and put them onto the xp. they are the same carbs and the same engine as far as i know. this would help me eliminate any issues relating to the fuel delivery. Is this a good idea? Its a lot of work so i don,t want to do this unless i cant diagnose it some other way.

Thread Information