Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Thread: 1985 js 550

PWCToday Newbie

1985 js 550

Hey all,

New member with a question about an old ski. I have an '85 JS 550 I purchased used in 1991. For the next 5 summers I rode the thing to death -then had to start acting like an adult and stopped renting a shore house-the result was that I haven't ridden the ski since . So, the question is: do I repair/rebuild the ski; sell the ski or just call the junk guy?

The ski is completely intact, no missing parts, just hasn't been ridden in years. I rebuilt the motor in '94 or '95. If I choose to rebuild, how difficult is it to find parts?

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated-thanks

Hipchecker

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Rushford_Ripper's Avatar

Re: 1985 js 550

Get that thing going again!

PWCToday Newbie

Lol, @Rushford, I appreciate your unwavering support! Parts? Easy to find or a nightmare? Is this ski really worth fixing??

Battery, rebuild carb, fresh fuel and ride the crap out of them.

SOLD! HONDA AQUATRAX 2 SEATER
    1987 JS440 SUPERSTOCK
    1988 JS440 FREESTYLE
    1987 JS550 LIMITED
    SOLD AND MISSED VERY MUCH, 1994 WAVEBLASTER LIMITED
    WWW.HONDAOFWINTERHAVEN.COM
    1987 AM. WORLD CUP CHAMP

PWCToday Newbie

I'm sure there are plenty on here who would be happy to pretend to be the junk guy in this situation.

Run it!

PWCToday Regular

Just to be clear here though... That motor hasnt been run for 20 years? I'd love to know the outcome. Depending where you are in NJ, there is a nice calm section of river at Lambertville to test out an uncertain ski.

PWCToday Newbie

22 years, to be exact. No question the motor needs a complete rebuild, plus I just discovered the hull had accumulated water while its been sitting, so I'm sure the list of repairs doesn't end there. I've done some additional research since my original post and while I have found various resources for parts, I'm not convinced the ski is worth rebuilding given the costs. I've also considered swapping to a 650/750 which arguably might be a better route since the costs will essentially be the same, but it strikes me that it might be better to just look for a used 650/750 and save myself the headache of rebuilding.

I'm more of a motocross guy and just finished a complete rebuild of a '94 KX 250. Honestly, I have a much better feel for the work involved with a bike than I do with a ski, so I'm still very interested in hearing what others suggest with respect to the 550.

By the way, I'm about 45 minutes north of Lambertville (Chatham). Thanks for the information.

Thread Information