Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

Newbie question about flooding or taking on water

hey all, sorry for the total newbie question, but I'm not overly mechanically inclined...my 96 Sea-Doo SPI has been running good this summer (once I got a new battery), but recently I've had a weird problem where it seems like its running great, but then just kinda losses a bit of power...like I can barely get it to settle down flat form a stop and have to put-put back to shore.
    When I get back to shore, I usually have a lot of water in the hull. Almost completely submerging the battery even. I don't *think* this was the case before. Typically, I run the manual bilge pump at that point, and we seem to be back in business, and I can go run the machine again for a while until it happens again.
    I basically only use this to tow kids around on a tube at the lake.
    I noticed this problem shortly after a really rough/windy day on the water...
    I usually run into the problem either when I'm towing some heavier kids and therefore dipping pretty hard into the water on turns... Or when say the kids are trying to get back on the tube and i'm just basically idling as they do, and at that point it's pretty rough from all the waves.

So here's my theory, and I'm wondering if it's valid: I think maybe I have caused some damage on the hull at some point (likely during the rough water day) whereby at certain times (when bogged down or in rough big waves idling), the machine takes on too much water. As the hull gets too much water in it, its basically flooding out? Does that make any sense at all? It's almost the end of the year, so I'll take 'er in to get looked at after the summer, but just curious if I'm even on the right path?

Thanks!

PWCToday Newbie

Re: Newbie question about flooding or taking on water

Still having this problem..any advice/info would be appreaciated! Thanks!

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

The best bet is that you have an exhaust leak inside the hull. The exhaust gases are depriving your engine of oxygen and causing it to lose power. The water inside is also coming from the same leak -- since your ski's cooling system pushes the cooling water out with the exhaust some of that water is getting inside.

Check your exhaust system for loose connections, loose clamps, melted hose(s), or a crack in a component. Probably the hardest to spot would be a hole in the waterbox (the muffler), since those are often stuffed in some dark inaccessible location (but I don't know the specific location for your SPI).

Yes, it is also possible that you have a plain old water leak from hull damage/bad driveshaft seal/bad bilge system/etc.
    Riding mostly Lake Austin

1984 JS440 -- 1989 650sx -- 1991 X2 -- 1992 750sx -- 1995 900zxi (qty 2) -- 1995 X2

Quote Originally Posted by cujo View Post
    God intended PWC to be two strokes, as well as dirt bikes, snowmobiles, and chain saws....

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home john zigler's Avatar

Run it while still on the trailer, and strapped down. Leave the seat off, and look inside to find your leak.
    RCJS also doing business as WATCON
    608-743-1305 9am to 5pm CST m-f
    email watcon@watcon.com

Please visit our web sites

new parts / products / services www.watcon.com
    used parts www.rockcountyjetski.webs.com
    thank you

Please check out and like WATCON on Facebook

Thread Information