Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Blaster jet pump seal direction/orientation

20180811_155232.jpg

Left side - Inner seal. Open side down / Flat side facing out. Manf # on Flat side
    Right side - Outter seal. Open side down. Manf # on Open side / Flat side facing out.

(I mentioned their orientions in the picture just so we are all taking the same language going forward)

Between the service manual and other searches... I am pretty confused about the orientaion of the two seals that go between the impeller and the bearings. Maybe it's just me but the manual is confussing. It shows just the outer seal as far as I can tell and states to "Install the oil seal with its manufacture's numbers facing." If I do that, numbers facing out at me, the inner part of the seal looks backwards where it seals on the shaft (looking at the pic in the manual) and the flat side of the seal faces inward towards the bearings.... The pic in the manual looks like the flat side is facing towards the impeller and the parts lists I have pulled look the same.. Flat side out toward impeller. That orientation doesnt really make sense since this seal is designe to keep water out of the housing so I would expect the open side to be facing out toward the impellar.. Can somebody confirm that?

Above: looks like the flatside faces out... Pic is from blaster service manual. When I took it apart, the flat side was facing in toward the bearings and the open side with #'s was facing out. ( been worked on over the years by who knows who) So... Which way does the outer seal face? Which way does the inner single lip face?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by rfoster143; 08-13-2018 at 12:33 PM.

You Ain't Tryin' Til Part's Start Flyin'!
    1996 WB 1

PWCToday Newbie

Re: Blaster jet pump seal direction/orientation

As a default answer, the garter spring always gets protected from water intrusion, so rubber side out, facing the impeller mounting surface.
    Sometimes, when used as engine crankshaft seals, they get mounted spring side facing out, away from crankcase pressure, into the
    flywheeel/magneto box/cover area. I think it's also done that way to prevent the spring from going through the engine & causing damage
    should it ever break free from the seal.

That makes sense since the numbers would be facing out (the manual says numbers facing... goofy way of saying it but thats the exact words) and I suppose the main purpose of that seal would be to hold in the grease in the bearings side. Every seal installation I can recall, the open side has always faced towards the grease. So I guess its the same principle with the outter seal, numbers facing out places the open side toward the water to keep it out. Going to wait a few more days before I put it back together so more input is welcome so I can be sure I am putting it back together correctly.
    Last edited by rfoster143; 08-13-2018 at 08:24 PM.

1996 WB 1

Now I have come across another thread that says the inner seal has the spring facing toward the impellar.... urgh... How can this be this difficult?????

1996 WB 1

Thread Information