Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Seadoo SPX 95 connecting rod

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum, my name is Alex. I bought my SPX in august last year and visited here somewhat regularly for some advices (like replacing the grey fuel lines). I also would like to say that I started wrenching my machines about 2 years ago, so I'm not an experienced mechanic, but I like to work on small engines.

So here's the thing. Due to two old small oil lines, my engine ran without oil and that destroyed both pistons and cylinders. I sent my cylinders to my local mechanic shop so they can maybe save them or oversize them, with a top end rebuilt kit. While everything was off, I looked into the crankcase and saw a little bit of water, about maybe 3 tablespoons. I removed that water with a little plastic syringe I got in a pharmacy. My worry is both connecting rods. Are they supposed to be that color? I don't think the previous owner(s?) rode in saltwater, but since I bought it I always rode in freshwater. Engine is a 657x, probably never rebuilt because the bolts still had original paint.

Thanks!

conrod.jpg
    Last edited by jusdpomme; 08-12-2018 at 03:43 PM.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home wmazz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Seadoo SPX 95 connecting rod

That engine has been previously rebuilt, or purchased from a rebuilder.

You should have a local mechanic inspect the crank.

I am really curious what your old pistons and head looked like, and
    what happened to your oil injection lines?

Bill M.

Why aren't you splitting the cases and replacing main seals?

Are you planning on removing the oil injection, or just replacing the hoses?
    Last edited by wmazz; 08-18-2018 at 12:58 AM.
    Horsepower == Speed, RPM != Speed

What makes you say it's rebuilt/replaced? Also, if possible I would like to not take the engine out if I don't have to. If I can do it myself, what do I have to look for?

Basically, old oil lines broke at about the same time and I didn't realize. I'm kinda clunky and made a mess while refilling oil; after a ride I always unscrew the drain plug just in case there's some water and I started to see a bit of oil in the water. I thought it was because of my clunkyness but I didn't think further than that, and that was silly. I took a photo of the cylinders and the pistons, but I don't recall which one is MAG/PTO side.

The cylinders will be oversized this week when the shop receives the new pistons. I won't remove the oil injection, and I already replaced the hoses.

All in all, that's a $500 job because of about 10" of $0.55/ft hose.

Lastly, what do you mean by "splitting the cases"? As for the seals, I will look into it. What are signs of too much wear?

Edit: In response to my initial question, I looked online for new rods and they are the same color.

IMG_20180805_223011.jpg IMG_20180805_223053.jpg IMG_20180806_211723.jpg IMG_20180806_211757.jpg IMG_20180806_211837.jpg IMG_20180806_211905.jpg IMG_20180806_211933.jpg IMG_20180806_211955.jpg IMG_20180806_212025__01.jpg IMG_20180807_214048.jpg IMG_20180807_214350.jpg
    Last edited by jusdpomme; Yesterday at 07:13 PM.
    '95 SPX

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home wmazz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The small pin bearings are not stock, and the heads of the bolts were white.

Either someone rebuilt the top end, and repainted the bolts (some mechanics
    will do that) or it was purchased from an engine rebuilder. Last time I used
    an oem rebuilt engine, they used oem pin bearings.

Bill M.
    Horsepower == Speed, RPM != Speed

Should I replace them or only if there's signs of wear?
    '95 SPX

Thread Information