Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

GP800R will not stay running

Hi - new to the forum and Jet Ski's. Just bought a 02 GP800R Ski and was told that it "ran good". Got it to the lake and the first thing I noticed was that the fuel selector switch was almost impossible to move and would not go to "on" but only the reserve position. Ski was a little hard to start but finally got going though I had to keep the throttle craked to keep the engine running. It run for about 2 min, then while on the throttle the engine bogged and slowly died like it was running out of gas. Had to get towed in and put more gas in. (turned out that the tank was 9/10 full in the first place). Got it running again and ran probably 3 minutes this time. Same result. Fortunately I didn't go far from the dock and killed the battery getting back in. It would sputter using the battery, but never restarted at this point. I also noted that top speed both times was 32mph and as I understand it top speed should be 50+mph. Pulled the plugs when I got home. The front one looked fine, but the back one was very dark, but not wet. The other thing I noticed is that there was clean fresh oil in the bottom of the hull (maybe a teaspoon or two) floating on the water. I thought that it was odd for the little amount of time that I was on the ski as I had cleaned the hull prior to going out.
    I've gotten a new selector switch and putting that in tonight. Would that help the starvation issue or do I have bigger problem on my hands? Any suggestions as to why the engine would die like that as it is running? Is there any way to tell if the oil injection system is throwing too much oil in the one cylinder? Would that cause an issue?

Any help is greatly appreciated - Thanks

Re: GP800R will not stay running

I would check to make sure an oil line hasn’t come off. They tended to shrink and pop off.

PWCToday Newbie

Thanks - will look for that. New problem. I checked the spark tonight and both plugs have spark. Next I checked compression and the front cylinder has 125 -130 PSI which I thought was low. The rear cylinder however has 0 compression. I have seen 4 strokes with cracked pistons that still had some compression. I tried it 3 times and the needle in the compression gauge didn't even move. Any ideas as to what would cause that?

The oil in the hull tells the whole tail unfortunately. The oil line to the PTO cyl has failed and wiped out that cyl. Have seen this to many times. The 125/130 on #1 isn't to bad, both my 800's run around 145. You'll need to rebuild top end and carbs. The fuel starvation is probably from the carbs internal filters being clogged.

How many hrs are on the ski?
    Last edited by Dave in DE; 08-08-2018 at 08:38 AM.

PWCToday Newbie

Dave in De- thanks for the info. Not what I wanted to hear but I'm not surprised either. As far as the hours on the ski, it has Just shy of 100 hours - 99.7 I think.
    How hard is it to rebuild the top end? I'm already into this for more than planned and afraid if I take it to the shop I'm looking at $1500+. Also, is there a way to block off the oil injection and just do premix? Having to rebuild an engine because a hose came off is ridiculous!!

Yes the injection system can be removed. Personally I recommend not doing it. The system itself is very strong. The weak link is the lines from the pump to carbs get over looked for maintenance. Mind you, your hoses are probably 16 yrs old. If so they've hardened and shunk. The oil pump is veriable ratio pump. at idle you running around 200/1 up to 50/1 at full throttle. Helps keep you from fouling plugs when running no wake or slow speeds.

As for rebuilding difficulty, that all depends on your mechanical ability. With a manual and a bit a wrench turning ablity and proper tools it's not to hard.
    If you DIY it, your probably going to be at about $800/1000 doing both cyl. If your crank is ok. With 100hrs you could put piston and rings in #1 and replace #2cyl, piston, and rings. That would save you a bit.
    You can also do a rebuilt motor from pwcengines. There about $1000 w/2yr warranty.

A shop, your at there mercy. It would all be based on hrs and parts. More than likely they would just do a full motor replacement.

Either way you have to make that decision. You can cut your losses and part it out, or invest and go the distance. Only you can make the call.
    Hope this helps. I know it's not easy.
    Last edited by Dave in DE; 08-08-2018 at 11:07 PM.

PWCToday Newbie

Hi - been tied up at work and haven't had time to get back on the forum. Thanks Wire4money and Dave in DE. After calling several shops and finding out that it was going to cost way more than the ski was worth to get the engine rebuilt, I opened up the tool box and started it myself. Got the exhaust off and wire for money hit it on the head. Oil line shrank over an inch, popped off and the engine was toasted long before I got it. (hence the clean oil in the bottom of the Ski). For all the banter I have heard about premix vs trust the oil injection system, this is one clear case where a simple oil line popping off has caused 1000's of dollars damage and almost sent it to the junk yard. I will use the system again and not go premix, but it will be a complete pain to inspect the lines every year before use.

After 3 days of working on it, I finally have the pistons out. Another surprise? The cylinder that failed did not have the PV in it. Was completely missing. while I do not think it contributed to the demise. Some one really monkeyed with the ski and didn't really know what they were doing.

As expected the cylinder without compression was horrific looking. Walls were scored so bad that only sleeving it will get it going again. Piston rings were sheered off or melted to the piston, but either way they don't even move and the piston would rattle around in the cylinder... Oh the joys of a used Ski. Its hard to see in the first picture, but you can see the brass nipple for the oil line and the oil line is a n inch short of reaching it. The second picture speaks for itself. IMG_4459.JPGIMG_4485.JPG
    Last edited by ski4me; 08-13-2018 at 10:48 PM.

Ski4me, I leave my lines a little extra long. That gives them room to shrink. I check them down by the pump. Just to see if there plyable and replace every 3 or 4 yrs. To replace isn't that hard. Remove large section of the exhaust and airbox. 2/3 hour job. Easy winter project.

It may have eaten the power valve when it was hot from no oil. The valve would have gotten very hot also. But it may have been gone long before.
    I'd replace both your valves and linkages with the ones from SBT while you have it all apart.
    Last edited by Dave in DE; 08-14-2018 at 01:45 PM.

Thread Information