Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

'88/'89 JS550 wear ring?

Hi,

I have been out of the vintage ski game for a long time. I used to have a '79 440 with a PJS motor and an '83 JS550 with a T3 PJS motor. I sold them maybe 8 years ago........like an idiot.

Anyway, i have a friend with two 550s. He thinks 1988 or 1989. He got them running after sitting a long time and took them to the lake. He said they both would only rev in the water but would hardly move. I don't recall my '83 550 having a wear ring, in fact i remember shimming the pump tighter to the prop so the SS prop actually scraped the aluminum housing.

He sent some pictures to me with the ride plate off. It looks like all the gaps have silicone. He checked the prop to pump clearance and said he can fit .012" feeler gage all around the prop.

So my question is, do these have a replaceable wear ring? Or does it need to be shimmed tighter like i did on my '83?

If it has a wear ring, where do you find them?

Thank you
    99 Seadoo XP Limited- Hot Rods Crank, LA Sleeve, Pro X Pistons, Rossier Stage 1 Kit ( jet kit, proks, carbontech reeds, milled head,) R&D Stuffers, R&D Intake, Primer, Oil Block Off, 15/21 Solas Concord

Re: '88/'89 JS550 wear ring?

The 550 pump shoe is tapered. If the clearance it too large, shim the impeller forward into the shoe.

Also make sure the pump is sealed tight to the hull and that there are no gaps in the seal compound. This can cause cavitation and the no go issue.
    If you're not crashing, then you're not trying!!!

Ski situation in limbo!

Special thanks to Chris Newmiller, and Mitchell at M&M Marine!

A thorough inspection of the motor, shaft, and pump bearings would be a good idea too, along with some new crank seals.
    Last edited by sportsfreak29; 08-07-2018 at 04:18 PM.
    If you're not crashing, then you're not trying!!!

Ski situation in limbo!

Special thanks to Chris Newmiller, and Mitchell at M&M Marine!

Thank you....

Anybody have any pictures of how to shim it? I can't remember how I did it. I don't think I shimmed the prop itself, I thought I shimmed the pump forward.
    99 Seadoo XP Limited- Hot Rods Crank, LA Sleeve, Pro X Pistons, Rossier Stage 1 Kit ( jet kit, proks, carbontech reeds, milled head,) R&D Stuffers, R&D Intake, Primer, Oil Block Off, 15/21 Solas Concord

Top Dog

Unscrew the prop from stub shaft and insert shim washers as needed till proper clearance is achieved.

What is the proper clearance?

Top Dog

0.2 to 0.3 mm

If I am measuring .012" then I am within specification.

Thread Information