User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Blaster 2 engine failure

Blaster 2 is stock with the exception of Protec porting & milled head. The rest of my setup is Skat track 7-14 swirl, 84 mm pro x pistons, after porting & milled head compression was 165F/150R, (i know these blaster 2s run the different compression in each cylinder, (I probably should of went with aftermarket head to get away from that & keep the jetting equal as well), 115 low speed jet, 135 high speed in front & 137.5 main in rear, (150 main in the rear was stock but I tried running that & it was way rich) Rear cylinder is down to 90 psi, 160 up front. I have been running this setup for 3 years.
    Any ideas? Thanks, Steve C.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Blaster 2 engine failure

3 years for a ported top end is decent longevity. The porting would produce higher rpms and the higher compression more heat too, resulting in more wear and tear. Group K has a recommended re-build schedule for top ends depending on the piston speeds (rpms).

But looking at the Head Gasket, there might have been a head gasket leak due to the amount of oil on the gasket. How often did you re-torque the cylinder head?

Should have re-torqued the head bolts after the initial engine break-in period, then once per season thereafter.

Also, the Rear Crank Seal could have gone bad allowing for an Air Leak to cause a lean seizure. Air Leak-down test always recommended before riding season...good insurance

Last edited by JC-SuperJet; 08-06-2018 at 10:11 AM.

I have 10 years on my ported Lamey (R&D cylinder) in my superjet, now & thats the ski that I ride every weekend, my wave blaster 1 has 14 years on it with a Lamey cylinder but that ski does not get ridden a lot. This blaster 2 does not get abused much, newbies or kids going slow.

I will take a look at the rear crank seal.

Just re torque after the first couple rides. I never re torque once a season as I felt I would just be breaking the red locktite loose, but thats a good point you bring up cause now that I think about it I never had a head gasket issue with a oem gasket (701) but I had a few 760 motors (oem metal gasket) back in the 90s & they would loosen up & cause problems a lot. So, oil on the gasket? Ya, maybe its all the oem gasket? Not re torquing?

Leak down test on all the toys in spring, not going to happen.

I really appreciate your input. How does that saying go? If it has tires or something else, flies floats or I forget what your going to have problems with it. Thanks, Steve.

Thread Information