Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

550SX Cracked Pump

Hey guys,

Recently picked up a 92 550SX in near mint shape. I haven't ridden one since I was 9, now 20+ years later it's like learning to ride a bike again. I absolutely love it!

Anyway, I pulled the pump to replace a broken steering cable while on a trip, and discovered it has a large crack on the intake side. I have the piece that is missing (it didn't go through the pump), it was adhered with silicone against the hull.

For what it's worth, I put it back together (siliconed the pump back in as you see it in pics) after replacing the steering cable and have a couple trips on it now. Next I want to get a stainless impeller, and assume I should do new bearings and seals while I'm in there.

Regarding the crack: Has anyone run into this before? Am I looking at replacing the whole pump? Is just this part of the pump replaceable? Think I can get away with a band aid fix like JB welding (or whatever) it and calling it good? Any other thoughts?

Thanks for any input!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (97.3 KB, 24 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (112.7 KB, 29 views)

PWCToday Newbie

Re: 550SX Cracked Pump

had a pump mounting tab heliarc welded at a fab shop years ago....
    if the stator vanes behind that chewed impeller are intact, heliarc welding would be an option.
    If the vanes are abused, then ebay a fresher pump case one when new impeller comes.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Its aluminum, any welding shop can fix that for a $20 bill. Heck, put an ad on facebook, lots of guys have tig welders in their home shops these days.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Top Dog

cracked from corrosion build up between liner and housing.
    you can get it welded but will happen again sooner or later.or find another intake .

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home fastgtfairlane's Avatar

if you have the broken piece you can weld back on then it can be done. however a replacement pump shoe can be found. the pump shoes for all 550 pumps are the same and interchangeable.
    91 440; PJS Viper 7000, jetsport exhaust mani, factory full pipe, coffman waterbox,solas 17*, jetco worked 440 pump, ocean pro nozzles. shredmaster ocean rideplate and grate combo, wide tray, footholds, deep strake mod, driveshaft fill,650sx quick turn

build thread part 1: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=331343
    build thread part 2: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=364872
    build thread part 3: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=396154

PWCToday Newbie

Thanks for the replies guys... I thought about having it welded but wasn't sure if it was a good idea. Assuming the stator vanes are good, I'll find someone who can do aluminum. Dang, my wirefeed is too small for aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by restosud View Post
    cracked from corrosion build up between liner and housing.
    you can get it welded but will happen again sooner or later.or find another intake .
    Makes sense... I think for now I will look into someone to weld it back for the time being, but will keep an eye on it, and plan on replacing it down the road. Unless I find one cheap enough while I do my new impeller next.

Quote Originally Posted by fastgtfairlane View Post
    ... the pump shoes for all 550 pumps are the same and interchangeable.
    Thanks, that is good to know!

PWCToday Newbie

Last question that I can think of, regarding pump bearings; when I had the pump out, the impeller seemed to turn smooth and tight.

I don't know the history of the pump but since the ski is mostly stock I imagine it has not been touched since new.

Should I do bearings and seals in the pump, or anything else, while I am in there? Or is that more of an as-needed approach? I will be doing the impeller and shoe repair at the same time, assuming the stator checks out.

Thanks!

PWCToday Regular

It kind of depends on your end goal. Are you going to keep it for a while and want it to be as good as it can be? If that's the case then I would buy a better pump shoe and put a new set of bearings and seals in it. Easy work and not much money.

I always try to remind myself how far $100 goes toward fixing these older skis and how much fun they are. Getting the impeller off will be the challenge!

PWCToday Newbie

That's understandable... the guy I bought it from was super anal about the ski, it is in mint shape, and he said the original owner kept it indoors in a climate controlled, heated floors garage. The engine looks like it came out of the factory yesterday, though the pump has visibly seen some saltwater, that's about it. I have no plans to sell it, it would be best to keep everything in as good shape as possible. I will plan on doing them, and anything else that may present itself. Thanks again.

Thread Information