Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Thread: Fix or dump

PWCToday Regular

Fix or dump

I have a 2005 Yamaha VX110 with about 500 hours. I bought it from a rental place in 2006 with 350 hrs and paid $4500. Within the first year I had it I had to apply a few layers of mesh and epoxy to the bottom because of a leak. Since then it's not been a problem - until now.

This year it's been taking on water, a lot of water. I put it on a PWC dolly in my garage and filled the bilge with water to about 3" deep. Water began leaking out of the intake grate area. When I removed the grate I could see it was leaking from the drive shaft. I assume there is some sort of packing around the impeller shaft that has failed.

Now the question - Any ideas what it would cost to repair this? Is it a big (expensive) job? I'm 70 y/o and just can't lean into tight spaces any more so I'd have to take it to a shop. I'm need to decide if I should get it fixed or sell it for parts. The motor runs pretty good, but the hull is not in great shape. Quite a few small dings, decals are half gone, several areas of scraped paint. The rubber bumper in front is crap.

My wife and I used to enjoy riding together but she's not able to ride any more so she won't miss it. (I've got a sweet 2014 Kawasaki STX-15 for myself!)

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Grumpy Old Guy's Avatar

Re: Fix or dump

Ditch the VX with that many hours....

The leak is from the thru hull cap,it has come unglued. The motor has to be pulled & the cap reglued.

PWCToday Regular

From the sound of your post it seems like you have your mind made up already!

That is a lot of hours on that machine...how many times has the motor been opened up?

Like stated you would have to pull the motor and reseal it.

Where abouts in PA are you? I wouldn’t mind a winter project
    1995 Kawasaki 750ss-Sold

1999 Kawasaki Ultra 150, shredmaster ride plate, extended nozzle, tripple pisser kit....

PWCToday Regular

Quote Originally Posted by 750ss. View Post
    Where abouts in PA are you? I wouldn’t mind a winter project
    Opposite end from you I'm afraid. I'm about halfway between Pittsburgh & Erie.

PWCToday Newbie

Fix or dump

500 hours is nothing on a vx. i had a ski with 2500 hours, stock head gasket that still ran circles around other skis.

Your intermediate assembly has likely gone bad, a common issue with these skis.

Upon removal of the old assembly You might find that nearly everything including the housing will ned replacing. It has a rubber sleeve that tends to separate from the assembly and cause the initial leakage.

However, there is a chance that your shoe assembly (the white plastic cover that your drive shaft goes through).

It unglues from the fiberglass hull and causes water to seep in, slow at first, almost unnoticeable. Then it comes in like a flood. If you do your shoe assembly, you might as well reseal the transom seal while you are at it. Its a fairly straight forward job but can take a couple hours to do if you get hung up on seized up parts. Ive been able to get the job down to about an hour if it all goes ‘mostly’ well but give yourself at least a day to male sure it all goes well.
    Last edited by Kwtony; 08-12-2018 at 11:52 AM.

Thread Information