Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Yamaha wave venture dies uppon giving it gas

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    The fuel pump pulse line gets signal from the rear cylinder. When the seals get old they harden and shrink a bit. They came with zero sealant from the factory. Any sort of burble or backfire can pop one or both out. This causes a bad air leak which also greatly reduces the pulse signal. Barely enough signal to move the diaphragm, let alone keep it moving under load. I've put new seals in 3 Yamaha 1100s this season that had spit the seals.
    Thanks for that little tutorial, dang ski isn't much like a standard internal combustion engine. Lol! So when that air pressure doesn't build when I pull the throttle it cuts off?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

When you open the throttle it sounds like it's going so lean that it just dies out. The seals are easy to check. Unbolt that big circle of plastic in the midwall. Then you just reach in and remove the two 10mm bolts holding the pto cover on. Then pull it up out of the way. You'll have direct view of the pto and rear seal.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

When you open the throttle it sounds like it's going so lean that it just dies out. The seals are easy to check. Unbolt that big circle of plastic in the midwall. Then you just reach in and remove the two 10mm bolts holding the pto cover on. Then pull it up out of the way. You'll have direct view of the pto and rear seal.
    So I can see the seal, should I not be able to? It doesn't seem damaged, I'm just thinking I shouldn't see this much of it.

Well.....it's not popped out BUT, I see little chunks of rubber missing and oily residue all around the rear of that engine. It's obviously leaking back there. It's time to pull it, dismantle, inspect, clean, and reassemble with all new gaskets and seals. After all, it is over 20 years old.

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Well.....it's not popped out BUT, I see little chunks of rubber missing and oily residue all around the rear of that engine. It's obviously leaking back there. It's time to pull it, dismantle, inspect, clean, and reassemble with all new gaskets and seals. After all, it is over 20 years old.
    "Pull it" seems to mean the whole motor out in order to have proper access. That doesn't look TOO complicated.And so this may not actually fix the initial problem.

I see this all the time at my shop. Older skis always have MULTIPLE problems. If it was running fine then nobody would have sold it. My advice would be take care of a full maintenance rehab right now.....BEFORE you end up with a rod through the side of the case! Those are real fun to pull too!! You'll need to disconnect everything off of the front "hatch", then remove four 12mm bolts. Lift up and spin the whole thing sideways. Then you can reach down inside and unbolt the whole front electrical box.....the engine won't come out with it still attached! Remove the top half of the exhaust, then leaving the elbow, just unbolt the whole exhaust manifold. Obviously other tidbits like carbs, cables, etc. Then duct tape around the whole opening and pull it. With just the right amount of twisting and angle it will BARELY come out with the motor bed plates still attached. Scroll down a ways on my Facebook page and you'll find pics of one I did.

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS

I see this all the time at my shop. Older skis always have MULTIPLE problems. If it was running fine then nobody would have sold it. My advice would be take care of a full maintenance rehab right now.....BEFORE you end up with a rod through the side of the case! Those are real fun to pull too!! You'll need to disconnect everything off of the front "hatch", then remove four 12mm bolts. Lift up and spin the whole thing sideways. Then you can reach down inside and unbolt the whole front electrical box.....the engine won't come out with it still attached! Remove the top half of the exhaust, then leaving the elbow, just unbolt the whole exhaust manifold. Obviously other tidbits like carbs, cables, etc. Then duct tape around the whole opening and pull it. With just the right amount of twisting and angle it will BARELY come out with the motor bed plates still attached. Scroll down a ways on my Facebook page and you'll find pics of one I did.
    So what you are saying is get to work on this and look forward to hitting the water in 2020. The shop I have access to is 50 minutes up the road so it may take several weekends. The guy that sold it to me 3 years ago said it had been recently bored out, wouldn't that have entailed a certain amount of "maintenance rehab", hence maybe it's not as bad as one that's been 20 years without major work?

I wouldn't believe anything I was told until I see oversize pistons with my own eyes. Should have had a full fuel system rehab and crank seals at that time but it obviously did not. I find many blown engines because somebody "rebuilt" it without ever fixing the underlying issue!

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information