Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Grumpy Old Guy's Avatar

Re: 96 sportster intermittent mpem recognition

Hard to say...the motor is probably wore out.

I found a long time ago ....you dont cut corners cus it will bite you in the azz everytime.

Complete tear down inspect all crank bearings,new crank seals & bore cyls or just buy a rebuild from SBT with a 1 year warranty.

Just so you know...that boat on a good day is really not worth it. Very under powered & if done perfect will barely plane with 2 people in it.

I know, probably come across as a super optimistic kid, but for what it’s worth, I’ve owned a sportster before. Actually wakeboarded with 3 souls on board, and it works! Barely, but it works. Just looking for the typical river cruise after a hot day at work.

I 100% cut corners. Had cylinders in my hand, with a best friend who owns and runs a machine shop. Said bring them over don’t order a rebuild yet let’s atleast measure them first. ��
    So now I’m yanking jugs back off, and bringing them to buddy to measure. Will end up going .5 over. It’s actually an sbt motor now

Just put a little oil in hole and got 90psi on my gauge. Something is definitely wrong.

Does just throwing new pistons/rings in a non-prepped whatsoever cylinder ever work? Or was what I hoped to achieve quite the far stretch?

Tech Guru PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Watercraft Magic's Avatar

Are you sure the pistons you pulled out were stock size? It sounds very possible that you put stock sized pistons in cylinders that were already bored 1st over. So a potential double whammy on the no-cylinder-prep smackdown. I've seen that done. And it even ran believe it or not. It didn't run well mind you. But it ran and rattled big time. The stamping on the tops of the old pistons should tell you enough. And a set of vernier calipers will help settle any discrepancies or confusion.
    email Chris at Watercraft Magic cdofixr1@live.com

That could be very possible. Only doubt on that is it was an sbt motor, and the pistons fit nice and snug (I may not be able to tell the difference in snug-ness between stock bore and one size over anyways). Who knows, could of been bored after sbt motor too

But a simple look at the old pistons and measuring cylinders will tel that. I tried 2 different heads last night, same reading on both.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Grumpy Old Guy's Avatar

SBT motors come stock 1.0mm oversize.....

Yup that explains it. Bore was 1mm oversize. The sbt 1.5 kit is ordered.

Whoops. You live and you learn

Well, back on topic to the intermittent key recognition. New dess post should be here Tuesday. Hopefully all goes well

So, I might be onto something about the key recognition... the forward/reverse lever only has 2 functioning positions. F and N. When shifter is moved to reverse, nothing changes with gate position.

Neutral position is reverse. Moving the lever to reverse position doesn’t move the gate anywhere.

I was just getting no recognition from key, but moving the shifter around got the key to recognize.

Ever seen this before?

Okay so tried a new dess post, and same outcome. Sometimes nothing happens when key goes on post, sometimes the oil light illuminates for 1 second then goes off, and sometimes the key works and the oil light stays on.

So a bad dess post is out of the question. What should I look at next?

Tech Guru PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Watercraft Magic's Avatar

It may sound overly simple . . . but have you checked both the connections on your battery? One loose cable can do whatever it wants (it seems). And check the other end of the ground cable, too. Check all grounds in fact. But start at the battery for sure.

Also, along that same path of "bad connections," cheapo fuses (blade style) are frequently thinner than they need to be. Meaning poor contact is very possible and usually never even contemplated. If you have any fuses (installed) that don't match the OEM ones, replace them with the real deal.
    email Chris at Watercraft Magic cdofixr1@live.com

All connections and grounds are good, battery is fully charged. All fuses are good, I have power on the load side of fuses.

This is driving me nuts. Engine is rebuilt, 150psi per hole, and 1/30 tries the key will recognize. I got the key to work one time yesterday, and I compression tested it, and once today to run on hose for a few mins. Now we want to go the the river and break the engine in but it’s just too unreliable with this key.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information