Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    PWCToday Guru

Never raced but interested in signing up

Hello,

I've been riding standup skis for 6 years now. I have a 550sx and two stock Superjets including a new 2017 I picked up recently. I would like to race on it.

I went to JetJam's series in Mossdale this past weekend to get a feel for how the races are set up. It was a lot more intense than I expected, even for GP4 which seems like the starting class.

What are the rules for GP4? I think I am targeting Ski GP4, which says 'stock only', but none of the skis looked stock. Only other info just says 2 stroke max 800cc's. I would like to keep my ski stock and am wondering if that is going to be at all competitive, or if some minimum modifications are pretty much needed? I don't see how a 701 can compete with 800cc's.

Full face helmet and goggles -- I can just wear my Shoei dirt helmet and goggles? Looks like what most people were wearing.
    I already have a USCG life jacket, lanyards, gloves, shoes.

What else do I need to know, or is there a good beginner primer writeup around here?

How does tech inspection work?

Unfortunately I think I will have to wait until 2019 since Camp Far West and Mossdale already passed and I only found out about JetJam last week.

Thanks.

Re: Never raced but interested in signing up

Only thing else you need is back protection for standup racers.
    Jet Jam will be at Lake Success near Porterville last weekend in July.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by SKISURFONE; 07-17-2018 at 04:41 AM. Reason: Additional info
    RACING IS A GOOD EXCUSE FOR MORE TIME ON THE WATER.

PWCToday Guru

What is the typical option for back protection? I see Jettribe makes one that seems to have good attachment points for the vest.

I saw the round at Lake Success, that's about 4 hours away for me though. Considering it...

Quote Originally Posted by mbrick View Post
    Hello,

I've been riding standup skis for 6 years now. I have a 550sx and two stock Superjets including a new 2017 I picked up recently. I would like to race on it.

I went to JetJam's series in Mossdale this past weekend to get a feel for how the races are set up. It was a lot more intense than I expected, even for GP4 which seems like the starting class.

What are the rules for GP4? I think I am targeting Ski GP4, which says 'stock only', but none of the skis looked stock. Only other info just says 2 stroke max 800cc's. I would like to keep my ski stock and am wondering if that is going to be at all competitive, or if some minimum modifications are pretty much needed? I don't see how a 701 can compete with 800cc's.

Full face helmet and goggles -- I can just wear my Shoei dirt helmet and goggles? Looks like what most people were wearing.
    I already have a USCG life jacket, lanyards, gloves, shoes.

What else do I need to know, or is there a good beginner primer writeup around here?

How does tech inspection work?

Unfortunately I think I will have to wait until 2019 since Camp Far West and Mossdale already passed and I only found out about JetJam last week.

Thanks.

I can't speak for Jet Jam rules, but I would recommend going with what you have if it is the last race of the season near you. Go get a feel for it. Most everyone I have met in the racing community has been super nice and willing to help. Go meet the people and ask questions about what can and can't be done in the classes you want to race in. Most will let you look their skis over, ask questions, etc. You will see commonalities pretty quick within the classes. If you like it and feel the need to modify your ski, do it over the off season. But in general, the stock class allows you to do any bolt on handling modifications and depending on the series, limited engine modifications on superjets.

As far as being competitive, even though you have plenty of stand up riding experience, racing is a totally different experience. If you haven't been in a closed course situation before, you will most likely end up at the back of the pack for your first race. Everyone that has ever raced has been there, heck, I still am lol. But it takes a lot of practice riding in close quarters with others, turning at predetermined points, and especially riding in other riders jet wash. It isn't easy. But if you are like the rest of us, you will love the adrenaline and the challenge racing provides and will be hooked.

As far as required equipment, a dirt bike helmet will be just fine, that's what most wear. Regular dirt bike goggles aren't the best as they tend to fog. I use dragon alliance hydro goggles, they are better at not fogging, though not going to say they never fog. I see a lot of the jettribe back protectors, but my brother has a leatt that he uses. Just want one that doesn't absorb a ton of water.

Other stuff you need to know, just be familiar with the starting procedures and the flags and what they mean. Most of the time, you won't have to worry about tech unless you are in the top few in a large class with suspicions of cheating or somebody protests(which I've never seen happen). Bring a buddy to hold for you on the starts, or make a friend at the race, most have no problem holding. I would watch other classes to get a feel for timing on the start, quicker lines in the split, etc. Racing favors the prepared.

Just go out there and get involved! I hear great things about the Jet Jam series, the Austins are nice folks. You won't regret trying it out! Good luck!

PWCToday's first Tigershark owner Moderator
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
    I can hold up my hand and point to where I live. Can you?

You definitely should go race. There will be other people there to help you with things like getting your boat to the water, holders, etc. Get an IJSBA membership (sometimes a race promoter will have weekend memberships), a rope loop through the bow eye, MX helmet and goggles are fine. Red buoys are left turns, yellow buoys are right turns. You really should do it, you won't regret it.
    Region 6

Shark Bait
    My race boats:
    1999 Tigershark 1100R (ret.)
    Novice 1200 Stock
    1996 XP
    800 Limited and 1000 Superstock

2017 Achievements
    4th at World Finals Pro-Am 1100 Superstock
    5th at World Finals Am 1100 Superstock
    7th at World Finals Am 1100 Limited
    Thank you to my sponsors: GoPro, AMSOIL, Riva Racing, Incase, Shorai, ODI Grips, and Ryno Power.
    Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/TripleLRacing/

PWCToday Guru

Thanks for the replies.
    I didn't realize I needed an IJSBA membership, wasn't mentioned on the Jetjam site. Will sign up before the season.
    Good tip on the hydro goggles, I didn't expect them to fog with the water and air being fairly warm but that would suck.

Ok, thanks for the reminder for red / yellow buoys. How about the two different path choices of blue buoys -- How do you pick and what is the routing through them?

I will plan on making it for the first norcal race of their season next year.

I've got two weeks on a lake coming up so I will set up some makeshift buoys to practice turning around them.

Check out the IJSBA website there is a downloadable rule book that will break down exactly what you can do with your superjets for each class (Stock, Limited, Modified etc.) which usually only applies to IJSBA sanctioned events, grass roots racing may have their own rules on what you can do to your skies. Also, you can check out RPM Racing with the final year end closed course racing at Lake Perris on the 11/12 Aug. To clear up the membership confusion, you will only need to have a IJSBA membership for IJSBA sanctioned events such as the RPM racing events.
    THE SARGE!!

HOME FROM A YEAR LONG DEPLOYMENT FROM FORWARD OPERATING BASE CAMP DWYER
    HELMAND PROVIDENCE, AFGHANISTAN

"THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN PEACE....THE LESS YOU BLEED IN WAR!!!"
    "IF YOU WANT PEACE.....YOU HAVE TO PRACTICE FOR WAR!!!"
    --------------------------------
    PLEASE SUPPORT THESE COMPANIES:

KMG RACING
    MYSTIC LUBRICANTS
    BOMBER EYEWARE

Kawasaki 800 SXR
    Yamaha Wave Blaster Sport Spec/Spec Open

THE SARGE!!

HOME FROM A YEAR LONG DEPLOYMENT FROM FORWARD OPERATING BASE CAMP DWYER
    HELMAND PROVIDENCE, AFGHANISTAN

"THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN PEACE....THE LESS YOU BLEED IN WAR!!!"
    "IF YOU WANT PEACE.....YOU HAVE TO PRACTICE FOR WAR!!!"
    --------------------------------
    PLEASE SUPPORT THESE COMPANIES:

KMG RACING
    MYSTIC LUBRICANTS
    BOMBER EYEWARE

Kawasaki 800 SXR
    Yamaha Wave Blaster Sport Spec/Spec Open

PWCToday Guru

Yes I read the IJSBA rulebook, I just don't know if JetJam's Ski GP4 is following the IJSBA Stock class rules. It doesn't matter, I will still be in the same class with them, I was just curious.

Ok I will need to also confirm if JetJam is IBSJA sanctioned. They mentioned world finals a lot on race day so I imagine they are.

PWCToday Regular

Quote Originally Posted by mbrick View Post
    Yes I read the IJSBA rulebook, I just don't know if JetJam's Ski GP4 is following the IJSBA Stock class rules. It doesn't matter, I will still be in the same class with them, I was just curious.

Ok I will need to also confirm if JetJam is IBSJA sanctioned. They mentioned world finals a lot on race day so I imagine they are.
    JetJam is not affiliated with the IJSBA and there is no membership required for JetJam. Currently they are using the same rules as World Finals. Bring your skis out to the Porterville race this weekend and try it out!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information