• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kailuaboy89
    PWCToday Newbie
    • Jun 2014

Re: Never raced but interested in signing up

You can use dirt bike goggles just fine, all you have to do is remove the foam from the vents. I use rain-x on my goggles and never have fogging issues and keeps the water beading. Jettribe has some really great gear for racing and recreational riding, I use all their gear and have had no problems in almost 3 seasons. I recommend hull handling mods for your ski, as the water will be rough no matter what, and every bit helps! join IJSBA and definitely race as soon as you can, you will not regret it! I am now in my 3rd Season in socal with the Best in the west series, and absolutely love it! Good Luck with racing, and most of all Go Have FUN!
    "Don't Sweat the Petty things, Just Pet the Sweaty things"

Comment

• whazguude
      PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
      • Oct 2013

O.k. The dude I was going to race with (sort of "retired" pro) has a wedding the weekend of the race. No biggie, but it adds some stress to the whole process for me. I'm used to a racing format from bikes and sleds, but it's a different world. Whatever.

Here's my issue (ski related, not my everyday issues):
      I'm going to run my stocker. Best way to start, right? The boat is mint. Super clean. I bought it with less than 2 hours on it. Problem is, it was built (professionally), as a freeride boat. (yeah, yeah, I know.) It has foot holds cut into the gunnels. Yes, cut into, like a freestyle hull. Again, it's a great job.
      Is this IJSBA legal? Can you still duct tape over them?
      I'm only here to make you mad

I'll tell your girl you said "hi".

Comment

• beerdart
        • May 2005

Originally posted by whazguude View Post
        O.k. The dude I was going to race with (sort of "retired" pro) has a wedding the weekend of the race. No biggie, but it adds some stress to the whole process for me. I'm used to a racing format from bikes and sleds, but it's a different world. Whatever.

Here's my issue (ski related, not my everyday issues):
        I'm going to run my stocker. Best way to start, right? The boat is mint. Super clean. I bought it with less than 2 hours on it. Problem is, it was built (professionally), as a freeride boat. (yeah, yeah, I know.) It has foot holds cut into the gunnels. Yes, cut into, like a freestyle hull. Again, it's a great job.
        Is this IJSBA legal? Can you still duct tape over them?
        What class? Ski Lites?
        4-Tec Jetmate
        2004 MSX 4-Tec 1500SC
        T-45 4-Tec GPRXP
        1995 785pro Three Seat Triple
        1993 750 Super Chicken.

Comment

• whazguude
          • Oct 2013

Yeah, I believe he told me to run novice lite. We were both going to run the same boat, him running pro lite.
          ...and then I remembered my stocker had the foot holds, and his wife reminded him of said wedding.

Comment

• beerdart
            • May 2005

OK checked with our group foot holds are not legal but you can fill them with foam and it will be OK we have a few that do that with a piece of Styrofoam cut to fit tight.
            4-Tec Jetmate
            2004 MSX 4-Tec 1500SC
            T-45 4-Tec GPRXP
            1993 750 Super Chicken.

Comment

• beerdart
              • May 2005

Hit me up if you need anything I have the CTWatercraft Trailer. Click image for larger version

Name:	38167208_10216986204078114_1946041680293527552_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	4378171
              4-Tec Jetmate
              2004 MSX 4-Tec 1500SC
              T-45 4-Tec GPRXP
              1993 750 Super Chicken.

Comment

• whazguude
                • Oct 2013

Awesome!!! Thank you. Hopefully see you there.

Comment

• mbrick
                  PWCToday Guru
                  • May 2013

Joined my first race this past weekend in stock class GP5 Ski on my 2016 Superjet.

Shoei VFX-W and Fox goggles were fine, no issues with fogging or anything. Used a Jettribe back protector.

Practice session was good, felt comfortable riding the buoys.

Race time, first start, nerves were high. There was a false start in each Moto, someone jumping the band. I had trouble keeping the front end down right off the line, which kept me at the back of the pack. The water was far rougher than I expected but I held on. I started fading toward the end due to my lower back being really sore. It was 7 laps total.

It was both more fun and more physically demanding than I expected, and I ride at the lake pretty much every weekend.

I was definitely limited by physical fitness, but don't consider myself out of shape and am not over-weight. What kind of workout routines are recommended?
                  Last edited by mbrick; 08-07-2019, 02:54 PM.

Comment

• JonnyX2
                    Attention *****
                    • Jun 2006

Versa climber is a great way to get cardio up. Jumping rope, burpees until failure, and the stairclimber holding heavy weights in each hand are some other good cardio routines. The lower back is something I always had issues with, but stretching extensively before and between motos helps a ton. A 5 hr energy shot about 10 minutes before a moto will keep you from fading. But mostly, throwing out some buoys on a short track and going as hard as you can for as long as you can, especially while following someone faster than you is the best practice there is. Chasing buoys on a calm clean track is fun, but it's not good practice for race day where the chop and spray from other riders separates the men from the boys...I used to chase Steve Fitzen around, just trying to pass. As soon as I'd pass, if I could, I'd get behind him again. He is a big dude and puts up a good wake...I miss that chit!!
                    Originally posted by Firebird A/C&Heating
                    OMG.....Rules for 550 vintage ski class...550 ski riders do not conform to any kind of rules. That is why you are riding a 550 ski in the first place. Rules suck....
                    PS...the rule book will be in my 550 pump
                    Originally posted by WB1994
                    Listen , stop your cryin' , its only an X2.

Comment

• konakev
                      PWCToday Regular
                      • May 2013

Well, im bumping the thread bc i love seeing new racers getting involved. I want to start this next season too. I need to get back on the horse...work, covid, and life has made me fat and slow. No better way than to force yourself into exhaustion all while trying to keep from crashing into other racers.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X