User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

96 sportster no beeps mpem click

Well, it has been a minute since I posted here, howís everyone been?!

so my buddy and I got a sportster cheap, needs a rebuild, but I have another issue first.

im pretty sure this is a dess key. Not getting 2 beeps with key on, just oil light flashes for a second. Jumping the solenoid even with key on getting no spark. Upon hitting starter Iím hearing a click from the mpem. Itís not the solenoid. When I get home I am going to go through everything one by one with a meter, but wanted some ideas first.

question, confused on something. if I disconnect the black/rd going to coil, Iíve read that will give me spark. This is the primary side of the coil right? Mpem will ground this for rev limiter and kill switch. But, If this wire wire is off then how is the coil getting a signal for when to fire?

Theres the 2 big wires (secondary) going to the plugs. There is also another big wire from where to coil mounts to gray box going to ground, is that correct?

thanks guys, I am no stranger at all to these. Just been out of the game for 5-6 years and need some refreshers.
    96xp, rossier pipe, MicroTouch rev limiter/ign/ecwi, r&d 85/88 nozzles, r&d f/a, primer, jetworks on stinger, stock carbs, stock prop, renthal bars, tiny tach

Resident Guru

Re: 96 sportster no beeps mpem click

Did you just get one key? Could the PO mixed the key up with another? No beeps means DESS isnt working. It could also be the little reed switch in the post itself.
    XI Sport
    GP800R
    X2
    FX140

Nope. He reassured its the correct key.

I just had an idea.. the ground post in the elec box should have a wire direct to negative battery terminal right?

Right now that wire is under one of the coil mounting bolts.
    96xp, rossier pipe, MicroTouch rev limiter/ign/ecwi, r&d 85/88 nozzles, r&d f/a, primer, jetworks on stinger, stock carbs, stock prop, renthal bars, tiny tach

Grounded the post in the elec box and got it to recognize the key. Engine started. (Still needs rebuild)

The mpem is regozining the key intermittently. Sometimes when you put the key on, the low oil light comes on and stays on, and starter works. Other times light comes on for a sec then goes right off, and starter button doesn’t do anything other than a slight click from mpem box.

Still sound like a ground issue?

Thread Information